How does a team with this much offensive talent consistently struggle 5 on 5??

matter2003

1 - They are not as talented as you believe

2 - IMO there are issues with the "system", "culture", and "togetherness"...all leading to less than desired results on the ice.

I am just speculating and have mentioned this before, but I get the feeling that these guys really don't care for each other.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/17/2021 at 3:30 PM, LabattBlue said:

2 - IMO there are issues with the "system", "culture", and "togetherness"...all leading to less than desired results on the ice.

I am just speculating and have mentioned this before, but I get the feeling that these guys really don't care for each other.

Eichel had 24 even strength goals last year in the same system.  What has changed?  

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Eichel had 24 even strength goals last year in the same system.  What has changed?  

Only those inside the locker room know the answer for sure.  We can do nothing more than speculate as to why the franchise is so screwed up. 

Maybe the media should ask Jack your question?

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/19/2021 at 9:20 AM, Drag0nDan said:

His linemates and his puck luck.  He is a career 10.6% career shooter and had a 15.9% last season.  He is at 4.5% ytd.

@Eleven This is a follow-up on our D conversation.  Like not doing the obvious pairing with Dahlin, KA and RK were and are using the forwards incorrectly.  Our best playmakers are Hall and Jack, yet management placed Hall and Jack together.   Not that they couldn’t work, but both are control the play guys and that didn’t mix well 5 on 5.  The obvious thing would have been to give them their own lines to control from the onset of camp.   Now separated, this team is basically starting from scratch  and trying to build some chemistry 1/3 of the way into the season.  

Olofsson is the teams best sniper, Skinner is an excellent around the net clean up the garbage player that RK has playing as a defensive forward and perimeter player and Reinhart is a Jack of all trades.  We also know Skinner can succeed with Jack.  

RK should be building his lines around what these guys do best

Skinner Jack Reinhart - Jack sets up Reinhart and Skinner and Skinner spends his time playing at the net.

Hall Staal Cozens - Staal can still score and Cozens speed and straight ahead game should mix well with those two.  Staal is also the only winner on the roster and should be a good mentor for Cozens

Mittelstadt Lazar Olofsson - two hard workers who will be a great example for Casey.  Casey is a good passer, Lazar wins draws and plays around the crease hopefully creating lanes for Casey to set up VO for his shot.

Reider Eakin Sheahan -

• Like (+1) 3

Who's the leader/s of the Buffalo Bills?

Now try and name the leader/s of the Sabres.

On 2/17/2021 at 11:41 PM, bunomatic said:

These are not brothers in arms.

I don't think a team has to be filled with pals and buds in order to win. They do need to respect each other, and not be afraid to hold each other accountable.

Anyhoo. The team's PDO* is second-worst in the league. I keep saying it: They're not a truly good team, but they are also not (quite) as bad as their record indicates. But even accepting what I say as true: The frustrating conclusion is that, even if their luck were more normal, they'd not be any better than what they have been (at best) over the past few years -- a playoff bubble team.

* This is the sum of your team's 5v5 SH% and SV% -- aka "puck luck."

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I don't think a team has to be filled with pals and buds in order to win. They do need to respect each other, and not be afraid to hold each other accountable.

Anyhoo. The team's PDO* is second-worst in the league. I keep saying it: They're not a truly good team, but they are also not (quite) as bad as their record indicates. But even accepting what I say as true: The frustrating conclusion is that, even if their luck were more normal, they'd not be any better than what they have been (at best) over the past few years -- a playoff bubble team.

* This is the sum of your team's 5v5 SH% and SV% -- aka "puck luck."

Contender? No. Playoff calibre? Half the teams are so if we can't be a playoff team then there are a boatload of overrated players on this squad. Two reasons only bad coaching or bad player evaluation. Take your pick either way it's where the buck stops........Ownership!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Radar said:

Contender? No. Playoff calibre? Half the teams are so if we can't be a playoff team then there are a boatload of overrated players on this squad. Two reasons only bad coaching or bad player evaluation. Take your pick either way it's where the buck stops........Ownership!

There has absolutely been some bad player evaluation. And some awful contracts.

I infer that Krueger is really the guru, motivator in chief, psychologist, big picture guy. And I think he's probably pretty good at that kind of stuff. The X's and O's, again I infer, are handled by the assistants. It's not a leap to say that they're not getting the job done. It makes me wonder whether this model of coaching can work in the NHL.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

There has absolutely been some bad player evaluation. And some awful contracts.

I infer that Krueger is really the guru, motivator in chief, psychologist, big picture guy. And I think he's probably pretty good at that kind of stuff. The X's and O's, again I infer, are handled by the assistants. It's not a leap to say that they're not getting the job done. It makes me wonder whether this model of coaching can work in the NHL.

Good thing our assistants aren’t god awful

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.