GDT: They’re Bad, Islanders at Sabres 2/15/21, 7PM MSG, NBCSN, WGR

Brawndo

here's the thing that bugs me the most (and it happens often). First period intermission interview (this time) with Tage. They're down 2-0 and clearly not in the game at all compete wise and the praise/excuse interview leads to Tage saying they just have to "keep playing the same way".  

Not the first time or the first player to speak like that but I have to wonder do they really think they play well? Do they actually think they're doing the right thing(s)? It's a losing culture and a clueless organization top to bottom. 

Never, ever, ever, have I seen a Bruins game where they were down by 2 saying we have to play the same way. It's always we have to be better in some way. I know, this may seem like nothing, but I actually think it's everything. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

here's the thing that bugs me the most (and it happens often). First period intermission interview (this time) with Tage. They're down 2-0 and clearly not in the game at all compete wise and the praise/excuse interview leads to Tage saying they just have to "keep playing the same way".  

Not the first time or the first player to speak like that but I have to wonder do they really think they play well? Do they actually think they're doing the right thing(s)? It's a losing culture and a clueless organization top to bottom. 

Never, ever, ever, have I seen a Bruins game where they were down by 2 saying we have to play the same way. It's always we have to be better in some way. I know, this may seem like nothing, but I actually think it's everything. 

Ralph keeps saying the players are playing the right way. That they’re learning the good habits. But they’re not getting results Ralph. So is it the right way or are you wrong in your approach to coaching this particular group of guys. Your best players can’t score at 5 on 5 in your system Ralph. If they keep playing the right way the results will come. I still ain’t seeing any results Ralph. You sure its not the system ?

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, Brawndo said:

It’s Pegula. 

He has a reputation around the league particularly with the experienced hockey people. 

Todd McClennan told TP in His interview, you have knack around the league for rapidly firing people 

Brian Burke was in Buffalo for a Leafs-Sabres Game and asked Botterill to grab a bite to eat before the game, Botts couldn’t because he had to have a sit down dinner with the Owners before every home game. Burke said that’s too much closeness with the owners. 

Their reputation proceeds them in some circles. 

Other Owners and the League Office have a tremendous amount of respect for them. 

Others do not 

Worrisome for sure. The league and other owners can't repair this and if other GM's and coaches are scared to come here then this is a real mess.

The first period was relatively entertaining and the Sabres were very much playing the Isles evenly even if the scoreboard didn’t reflect it.

It felt to me like they lost hope when Victor failed to score on the PP and we let in a soft one.  And it also seemed to me that fatigue set in.

Regardless, we are in a tough spot now with not much evidence that we have the ability to dig out of it.

9 hours ago, Pimlach said:

The worst part is they played like they didn’t even know it.  No one went out there with any intent to just put something on net in the hopes that anything can happen. 

As coach, wouldn’t’ you be harping about it on the bench?  Wouldn’t you just send someone to the net, drawing a defenseman with him, while another player puts I shot on goal.  Anything can happen.  

You're hired

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's like they don't really care at all if they lose.   

Can you imagine the boos reigning down on them after a 0 shot 3rd last night.   Probably a blessing there are no fans in the building or it woulda been another ugly scene.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Ralph keeps saying the players are playing the right way. That they’re learning the good habits. But they’re not getting results Ralph. So is it the right way or are you wrong in your approach to coaching this particular group of guys. Your best players can’t score at 5 on 5 in your system Ralph. If they keep playing the right way the results will come. I still ain’t seeing any results Ralph. You sure its not the system ?

Our top 6 players have talent and should score goals.  Eichel, Hall, Reinhart, Olofsson, Staal, and Skinner.  The 5v5 numbers are terrible.  It has to be this system.  What a shame to restrict our talent by using a system designed only to make your weakest players better.  

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Knew we would lose thise one, i read Ullmark played bad but seams we only had 20 shots on goal aswell so thats something right there.. god this team blows and the reason behind that is this annoying sh1t coach. I cant believe ppl even still have faith in this idiot. 

I didn't really feel like the islanders put up much in the way of scoring chances.  Buffalo didn't either.  The game just sort of happened.  Then it ended.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Our top 6 players have talent and should score goals.  Eichel, Hall, Reinhart, Olofsson, Staal, and Skinner.  The 5v5 numbers are terrible.  It has to be this system.  What a shame to restrict our talent by using a system designed only to make your weakest players better.  

Then score some goals?  It's either in the goalies belly, or wide.  They fan on 1 timers.  You aren't going to get 20 chances a game, they need to start capitalizing on some of them.  

10 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

What did they offer you?

Who is the soccer coach?

In 2014, Krueger made the switch from ice hockey to soccer, becoming director of Southampton in February 2014. Shortly after, he was appointed chairman of the club. He was dismissed on April 12 2019; set to leave on June 30 when his contract expired.

Funny thing is that I actually think we are a much better team now then last year...we are just not using the players properly and that is completely on the coach . I am also tired of Jack's constant temper tantrums while providing zero leadership.

Edited by Sabre fan
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

To say they were "clearly not in the game at all" seems almost as silly as Thompson using standard player speak of 'we just have to stick with what we're doing, it'll all work.'

If Olofsson buries his chance on the rush, the Sabres are up 1-0 late in the 1st w/ a very good chance of coming out of that period w/ the lead.  That isn't 'not in the game at all territory' but they needed to get the equalizer in the 2nd rather than have Davidson take a bad penalty puttingbthe game essentially out of reach just after that.

The 3rd period was embarrassing, but until Reinhart got knocked on his butt backchecking the score was even & until Dahlin made a youth hockey pivot allowing Ullmark to make an even worse play they were very much in the game.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

The first period was relatively entertaining and the Sabres were very much playing the Isles evenly even if the scoreboard didn’t reflect it.

It felt to me like they lost hope when Victor failed to score on the PP and we let in a soft one.  And it also seemed to me that fatigue set in.

Regardless, we are in a tough spot now with not much evidence that we have the ability to dig out of it.

Minor quibble.  Olofsson was robbed at 5v5 not 9n the PP.

And they did continue to battle after that soft goal to go down 2-0.  The hope wasn't lost until the 6th ranked PP never bothered to shoot at the end of the 2nd & then never even got the chance to pass up a good shot at the start of the 3rd.  THAT was what broke their spirit.

Would come back tonight w/ Ullmark.  They can't risk having the skaters have a bounce back performance to only have it go for naught due to Hutton specials.

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

So basically they need to luck into a couple hires.

Just like the Bills.  The only reason the Bills are good now is that they finally lucked into good GM and HC hires.  Luckily that happened years ago.

I imagine it's going to get tougher and tougher to even luck into good hockey hires.  The pool of candidates is tiny and shrinking already.

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn’t say they don’t care, but I don’t think they are any better suited to hire the right people at the top, and then getting out of the way....then they were when they bought the team a decade ago.   

Case in point...when the owners wife makes herself the president of both the Bills and Sabres. 😞

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.