Top 10 Perfect Movies - Nominations

GASabresIUFAN

I was watching Casablanca tonight and then noticed the Shawshank Redemption was finishing up on another channel.  It occurred to me that these two films are IMHO two of the most perfect movies ever made.  I can watch both over and over and still enjoy them.  They also still resonate.

Some of the others that I think fit the bill are It's a Wonderful Life, Raiders, Wizard of Oz, Schindler's List, The Godfather, Titanic, North by Northwest, MASH, ROCKY, Star Wars (New Hope only, LOTR, and The Searchers

I am curious what other people here think are their perfect films.  Not necessarily your favorite films, but ones that you think are crafted beautifully from script to acting and that will stand the test of time. I'd like to ultimately come up with 30 or more nominations and then let SS vote for their top 10.

I'm going to start the nominations with Casablanca and Shawshank.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Well with everyone having a different taste in movies, and different definitions of “perfect”, this should be interesting.

Movies I can watch and have watched, over and over and over again. Close Encounters of the third kind, Outlaw Josey Wales, The Revenant, Hidden Figures. Are they perfect? For me they are.

going by movies that I have seen a bunch and if they are on tv I will stop and watch them.

Any of the Lord of the Rings movies. Any movie that can get someone to read Tolkien is working magic with his writing style. also I like them so much, over the years I have purchased the trilogy something like 5 or 6 times in different formats and editions

Star Wars episode V The Empire Strikes Back. It is the greatest of the star wars movies and if you disagree, well you are wrong and I don't feel like arguing about it.

The Breakfast Club, I was born to late for the movie to be my zeitgeist. but i watched it on cable a bunch and it influenced my taste in 80's pop culture

Knives Out, people can hate on The Last Jedi (it was a great movie) but Rian Johnson knows how to make great movies. Go watch Brick if The Last Jedi or Knives Out don't do it for you.

Dredd, no not Judge Dredd. Dredd the one that noone went to theaters to see and caused a perfect movie to not get a deserved sequel.

Fight Club, I don't have much to say. I have watched it so many times.

Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan, nothing needs to be said because it is perfect.

Saving Private Ryan, Tom Hanks doing what he does and everything else to make a movie falling into place.

• Like (+1) 1

There are so many.  Casablanca is my #1.  I am a huge fan of Kurosawa, Hitchcock, the Coen Brothers, and Mel Brooks, among others.  I am a huge SF fan, so be skeptical of my recommendation of Star Trek II, IV, and VI.  I love Kung Pow: Enter the Fist, but its silliness is not for everyone.  I also have a heavy bias towards comedies with strong plots (e.g., Slap Shot), Cold War stuff (so John Le Carre), and anything that makes me look at things differently and sympathetically.  Let me give you a few that you might not know as well:

• Network (when this came out, it was considered ridiculously over-the-top; now it looks like a ****ing documentary)
  • One, Two, Three
  • The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
  • Five Fingers
  • Hoop Dreams
  • Safety Last
  • Das Boot
  • Battleship Potemkin
  • Metropolis
  • The List of Adrian Messenger
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray
  • Nosferatu
  • Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
  • Operation: Petticoat (1959)
  • Ice Station Zebra
  • How to Murder Your Wife
  • Gattaca
  • You Don't Mess with the Zohan (and remember: this is a biopic)
  • Seems Like Old Times
  • Bamboozled
  • The Most Dangerous Game
  • Stalag 17
  • Run Silent, Run Deep
  • The Enemy Below
  • The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 (1974)
  • All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
  • Papillion
  • 12 Angry Men (1957)
  • Brazil
  • The Prisoner of Zenda (1937 is best; 1952 one is solid)

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure I can come up with 10.

In no particular order:

Smokey and the Bandit

History of the World

Forrest Gump

The Big Lebowski

O Brother Where Art Thou?

The Lady Killers  (I know, there is a trend here)

Unforgiven

The Empire Strikes Back

Dunkirk

Alien

OK, I guess I found 10.

Edited by Weave

Surprised The Maltese Falcon hadn't been nominated yet.  So, throwing that one into the mix.

Thought for sure that Weave would've nominated at least 1 spaghetti western.  Since he didn't, will go with The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly.

Will also add the classic WWII flick The Dirty Dozen.

And, also surprised nobody on this forum has nominated any hockey themed movies: Slapshot, Miracle, Mystery Alaska, Goon, Youngblood, Do You Believe in Miracles, Mighty Ducks & even, to a degree, Happy Gilmore are all potential nominees.

Will nominate Slapshot because embody has to do so.

Will likely have some additional nominations later this weekend provided they aren't already nominated (would've had at least 5 previously nominated items on the list but didn't want to be redundant).

Edited by Taro T

Attack of the Clones  While Empire is superior in nearly every way (cinematography, budget, dialogue, music, etc.) as well as being my favorite, I argue the perfection level belongs to Star Wars proper on the self-contained story.

Others of the era: The Princess Bride; Who Framed Roger Rabbit; Back to the Future; Goodfellas

And of course Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Godfather I and II -- the giants are considered giants for a reason.

The Searchers

Casablanca

To Kill a Mockingbird

Goodfellas

The Shawshank Redemption

Saving Private Ryan

The Dark Knight

Outlaw Josie Wales

The Hurt Locker

Glory

This was harder than l thought it would be. 

The Departed is the greatest movie ever made. I have a ton of “favorite” movies but that one is perfect. Just amazing all around. Just look at the cast on paper, there was no way that movie wasn’t going to be a classic..

Edit: I will also add Pulp Fiction to to the perfect list. That was the first Tarantino movie I ever watched and it blew my mind. 

Edited by Cal Naughton Jr
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.