Fans will be returning to KBC starting 3/20 versus Boston

Brawndo

23 minutes ago, Fishtree said:

No, but as a scientist, it's always interesting to see non-scientists try to justify their opinions as valid based upon nothing but their feeling. I have trained plenty of PhDs, MDs, and MPHs, too.

But your opinion of safe is ... not safe. And would stand the likelihood of increasing spread through the population into people who choose not to attend. The safety choices are, by the looks of it, the best we could hope for, but it's not infallible. A PCR test can easily be negative one day but the person's already infected.

willem dafoe scientist GIF

All I know is that I’ll be there as soon as tickets become available to me...

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Fishtree said:

No, but as a scientist, it's always interesting to see non-scientists try to justify their opinions as valid based upon nothing but their feeling. I have trained plenty of PhDs, MDs, and MPHs, too.

But your opinion of safe is ... not safe. And would stand the likelihood of increasing spread through the population into people who choose not to attend. The safety choices are, by the looks of it, the best we could hope for, but it's not infallible. A PCR test can easily be negative one day but the person's already infected.

Besides your personal credentials...

I am fully aware of what you typed.  I was fully aware of that too before you typed it. That did not change my opinion and that’s why I typed it.

it’s a sad day when someone can’t have an opinion unless they have an advanced degree in the topic of the moment.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Besides your personal credentials...

I am fully aware of what you typed.  I was fully aware of that too before you typed it. That did not change my opinion and that’s why I typed it.

it’s a sad day when someone can’t have an opinion unless they have an advanced degree in the topic of the moment.

Well, you know what they say about opinions.

3 minutes ago, Fishtree said:

Well, you know what they say about opinions.

Exactly. 

Deep doubts, deep wisdom. small doubts, little wisdom.

Intelligence is endowed, but wisdom is learned.

Wisdom is attained by learning when to hold one's tongue.

It’s always in practice.... never mastered 😂

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Alright, so about 1100 for an Amerks game. 

About 1/4-1/5 of a normal Friday or Saturday crowd. 

I feel like so much of that weekend crowd is comp'd folks on group outings etc. If we cut them out like Taro says maybe it's 1000 fans max in town who can name more than 2 players on the roster?  I think availability will be good for those of us interested enough to want to go given the environment.

17 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

For the record, as soon as I'm over this pestilence there is no amount of money you can pay me to attend a game. None. Not knowing how long any immunity will last, that I won't have a vaccine any time soon, and knowing how absolutely awful I have felt for the last 10 days, I have zero desire to experience this delightful disease again. If that means I miss out on the chance to watch the Sabres play bad hockey in person as opposed to on TV that's totally fine.

Anybody who wants to downplay this is welcome to queue up outside my house and I'll be happy to cough on you and lick your face as many times as necessary. I assure you, I won't taste it anyway.

People pay for that.

25 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I think the bigger issue in the modern world is that the people without the advanced degrees or expert knowledge hold the day in far too many conversations. Are you entitled to an opinion? Sure.  The problem is the non-experts will always significantly outnumber the actual experts so the sheer number of completely unlearned opinions out there will always significantly outshout actual knowledge.  That's a problem.  It does actually matter if you know something, but not on the internet.

Furthermore, not all opinions are sacrosanct, nor do they deserve to be treated with an equal level of respect. Some things are just wrong and need to be called out for what they are. For example, there are a significantly large number of people who believe the world is flat. This is an opinion, but it is also wrong and easily proved to be wrong. Continuing to suffer the fools that choose to foist this nonsense upon the world is not improving the quality of discourse on the planet.  Allowing everyone to feel that their individual opinion, no matter how brazenly stupid, has the right to exist equally alongside fact is harmful to the actual fabric of society.

This isn’t the place to have an in-depth discussion about some of the points you hit on. If you want to continue in a PM, go for it. Otherwise, thanks for that opinion you have.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Getpucksdeep said:

I feel like so much of that weekend crowd is comp'd folks on group outings etc. If we cut them out like Taro says maybe it's 1000 fans max in town who can name more than 2 players on the roster?  I think availability will be good for those of us interested enough to want to go given the environment.

Don’t underestimate the fact that people haven’t had much to do for the last 11 months. 

Attending an Amerks game was something to do before (there’s not a LOT to do in Roch compared to larger cities), and people did it, so it’s likely the passive “fans” will have an interest again. 

12 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Don’t underestimate the fact that people haven’t had much to do for the last 11 months. 

Attending an Amerks game was something to do before (there’s not a LOT to do in Roch compared to larger cities), and people did it, so it’s likely the passive “fans” will have an interest again. 

Yeah good point. And some of those fans bring good energy. Hopefully they sell out, the team is entertaining, and no one gets sick.

1 hour ago, John Tucker said:

Why would anyone pay for a Covid test & ticket plus risk catching Covid in order to watch this crew.  The real question is how many fans would show up wearing the other team's colors??

The simple answer?  People have different interests.  My son knows the team is struggling and the organization has had problems and still wants to go to a game. The only reason he doesn't is because I'm not necessarily investing.  But that's me.. there are others who are sick of being inside and want to get out.  They've saved money because there's nothing else to do and they'll go do this.

I know the wife and I just spent money on an innovative valentine's day dinner to support a local business.  In normal years I would not have considered this, we don't do Valentine's Day and I wouldn't normally pay a premium for a dinner.  But because things have been locked down and this is something different we're doing it.

As for who would wear the other team's colors... if the ticket sales are restricted to STH I could see them saying that the STH must be the one to use them.  I think that would reduce the amount of people showing up in other teams colors.  But it's still possible a Devils fan has season tickets because they usually sell most of them... hard to say.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, LTS said:

The simple answer?  People have different interests.  My son knows the team is struggling and the organization has had problems and still wants to go to a game. The only reason he doesn't is because I'm not necessarily investing.  But that's me.. there are others who are sick of being inside and want to get out.  They've saved money because there's nothing else to do and they'll go do this.

I know the wife and I just spent money on an innovative valentine's day dinner to support a local business.  In normal years I would not have considered this, we don't do Valentine's Day and I wouldn't normally pay a premium for a dinner.  But because things have been locked down and this is something different we're doing it.

As for who would wear the other team's colors... if the ticket sales are restricted to STH I could see them saying that the STH must be the one to use them.  I think that would reduce the amount of people showing up in other teams colors.  But it's still possible a Devils fan has season tickets because they usually sell most of them... hard to say.

Totally understand... I've managed to find other things that have become much more important these days.   Unfortunately, they've lost me.  The light at the end of the tunnel seems to always get further away with this franchise!

15 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I really don't think this is a good idea.

Fair enough.

But, unlike when people go to the grocery store or Walmart, they are (almost certainly) going to be requiring everyone in attendance to have tested negative prior to entering the buliding.  They also will (again, almost certainly) be more strictly enforcing social distancing protocols than the other stores do as well.  It also will be very easy for those fans at high risk to avoid being put in that environment.

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Fair enough.

But, unlike when people go to the grocery store or Walmart, they are (almost certainly) going to be requiring everyone in attendance to have tested negative prior to entering the buliding.  They also will (again, almost certainly) be more strictly enforcing social distancing protocols than the other stores do as well.  It also will be very easy for those fans at high risk to avoid being put in that environment.

I never envisioned my cause of death being attending an Amerks game or running to Wegmans for garlic bread, but it could happen. 

• Sad 1

On 2/11/2021 at 11:50 AM, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Furthermore, not all opinions are sacrosanct, nor do they deserve to be treated with an equal level of respect. Some things are just wrong and need to be called out for what they are.

I agree.  Intentional ignorance is not a valid opinion (But, hey, that is only my opinion! 😀)  When people downplay facts because it doesn't fit their own personal narrative, that is a dangerous situation.  Given that, I don't know what the facts are regarding how many people can be in an indoor arena safely: in the seats for 3 hours, in line for the restroom, at the concessions stands, etc.  This seems different than passing someone briefly in an aisle at Walmart.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.