The highest point in franchise history

PerreaultForever

For me, it was driving from Rochester to Buffalo with my friends just to attend the parties in the plaza in 2006. What an incredible atmosphere and thing to be a part of. 

I did attend the final game against Carolina in person, but the games I watched in the plaza were actually more fun. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

43 minutes ago, mphs mike said:

Haven't scrolled through yet, but the title immediately made me think "Thank You Sabres" growing from a low murmur to an Aud filled chant as the Habs eliminated Buffalo in 1973.

I was already a diehard, but that night still brings warm memories about possibilities 

Those early years were the most exciting for me.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, mphs mike said:

Haven't scrolled through yet, but the title immediately made me think "Thank You Sabres" growing from a low murmur to an Aud filled chant as the Habs eliminated Buffalo in 1973.

I was already a diehard, but that night still brings warm memories about possibilities 

So a 4th-place team that lost in the first round after winning just once in a 12-game stretch as they closed out the season?

(Sorry, not trying to piss on your memory at all, just making a point about perception.)

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I know many of you weren't around for it, but 74-75 was the peak of the franchise.  It was also a great time to be a Buffalo sports fan in general with OJ, Perreault and McAdoo all in Buffalo at the same time.

Seriously, the team did not peak 46 years ago.  Come on.

33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So a 4th-place team that lost in the first round after winning just once in a 12-game stretch as they closed out the season?

(Sorry, not trying to piss on your memory at all, just making a point about perception.)

Totally devoid of context.

Just now, LabattBlue said:

IMO...yes it did.  I'm not sure if you were around in the mid 70's but the town was in a frenzy over the team.

I was around but not aware.  The town was in a frenzy over the team several other times as well.  Pilot Field or whatever they call it was pretty full just for a simulcast in 1999.  Alumni Plaza was packed in 2006 and 2007.

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I was around but not aware.  The town was in a frenzy over the team several other times as well.  Pilot Field or whatever they call it was pretty full just for a simulcast in 1999.  Alumni Plaza was packed in 2006 and 2007.

Like I said just my opinion.  Kind of hard for you to criticize it when you say you weren't even "aware" of the Sabres around that time.  

Edited by LabattBlue

On 2/6/2021 at 8:20 AM, ubkev said:

When Chris Jericho walked to the ring, live on Smackdown at Reunion Arena wearing a white Goat Head and a full cage helmet, grabbed the mic and screamed "no goal!!" at 20,000 hillbillies.

I really do everything I can to avoid all things wrastling as I feel like it’s the single dumbest form of entertainment ever created but here we are. 

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I was with a group of pretty hetero-normative guys for that game - we were all standing in a living room - we dogpiled on the rabbit like a bunch of giddy pre-schoolers

Fun fact, inkman had never heard of Dog Pile or Pig Pile Until well into adulthood.  We used to call it piling on.  Not sure where the animals came into the picture.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Like I said just my opinion.  Kind of hard for you to criticize it when you say you weren't even "aware" of the Sabres around that time.  

I was aware of the Sabres but not aware of what was going on in the city around me.  I watched the beginnings of most games and went to a couple.  But I was three.

Just like the Bills frenzy of 2020 far surpassed that of 1988, I'm sure that the Sabres frenzy of 1999, 2006, and 2007 surpassed that of 1975.

I've never seen a photo of a "welcome to Perreaultville" sign on the expressway...

Edited by Eleven

There were many points that were simply amazing on and off the ice.

But the on-ice performance of the team was never better than 2005-2007, a sentiment agreed upon by RJ.  When Drury lines up against Nylander with 15 seconds left, down 1-0 to the Rangers in game 5 of the 2007 conference semifinals, the entire world knew we were going to score.  We were simply unstoppable.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

There were many points that were simply amazing on and off the ice.

But the on-ice performance of the team was never better than 2005-2007, a sentiment agreed upon by RJ.  When Drury lines up against Nylander with 15 seconds left, down 1-0 to the Rangers in game 5 of the 2007 conference semifinals, the entire world knew we were going to score.  We were simply unstoppable.

And then they had to draft his kid.  (No matter; Joki is fine by me).

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Fun fact, inkman had never heard of Dog Pile or Pig Pile Until well into adulthood.  We used to call it piling on.  Not sure where the animals came into the picture. 

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

I am completely unfamiliar with, and somewhat afraid of, the meaning of this.

Interesting. Maybe I watched more Looney Tunes than most Gen Xers?

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Thanks (+1) 2

On 2/6/2021 at 11:44 PM, pi2000 said:

best franchise moment, Pegula

best fan moment, May Day

best team moment, ottawa game 5 W

best franchise moment,  Knox gets NHL franchise for Buffalo, Knox hires Imlach, Drafting Gil Perreault

best fan moment, “Thank You Sabres” game in playoffs after 3rd season  

best team moment,  SC Finals in 5th season.  

• Like (+1) 3

My response meant high point for me was first ten years of the franchise. My "fandom" level was higher then then at any time since. For others it would very possibly be different. I will be 78 next month and age makes a difference.

Edited by Radar

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.