The highest point in franchise history

PerreaultForever

The lowest point thread depressed me so as an alternative I offer this one for people to consider. We made it to the cup final a few times but they ended badly so for me, the highlight of this franchise was this game. For those too young to remember, the Russians were the evil force back then. The Soviet machine, and they were handing just about everyone they played defeat. There were two teams and we played the second one, but we trounced them. At that moment every North American hockey fan became a Sabres fan for a little while and it felt really really good. Those were the days.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

The lowest point thread depressed me so as an alternative I offer this one for people to consider. We made it to the cup final a few times but they ended badly so for me, the highlight of this franchise was this game. For those too young to remember, the Russians were the evil force back then. The Soviet machine, and they were handing just about everyone they played defeat. There were two teams and we played the second one, but we trounced them. At that moment every North American hockey fan became a Sabres fan for a little while and it felt really really good. Those were the days.

Murica!!!

I'd go 1A. and 1B. The Sabres, at the end of very successful first decade but in need of a reset, landed Scotty Bowman. The original core surged again in 79-80, and the Sabres got to the semifinal round and lost a hard-fought series to the Islanders. Having Bowman was an incredible coup for the franchise. How could they not win a Cup? Pominville's overtime goal also had everyone believing the upstart Sabres were a team of destiny. What could stop them?

Hope is a good thing. If hope had ever been higher than in those two moments, I'd like to know when.

Just now, PASabreFan said:

I'd go 1A. and 1B. The Sabres, at the end of very successful first decade but in need of a reset, landed Scotty Bowman. The original core surged again in 79-80, and the Sabres got to the semifinal round and lost a hard-fought series to the Islanders. Having Bowman was an incredible coup for the franchise. How could they not win a Cup? Pominville's overtime goal also had everyone believing the upstart Sabres were a team of destiny. What could stop them?

Hope is a good thing. If hope has ever been higher than in those two moments, I'd like to know when.

• Like (+1) 1

The 06 playoffs started a week after my 21st birthday. And I was blackout drunk throughout all of it. That was the high point for me, personally. I think I spent $3000 in bars over those 6 weeks. 

Jesus, that was so much fun.

16 minutes ago, Weave said:

What really, really sucks for the fanbase is that the time at the highest points is now less than the time at its lowest.  The bell curve began skewing heavily after the Pegulas bought in.

Remember when we would be disappointed and angry if they missed the playoffs? God, I miss that...

• Like (+1) 2

It would have been some time in the 2006 playoff run, when things were really looking good.  Probably after knocking off Ottawa.  We had advanced 2 rounds in the playoffs and it all looked pretty easy. 

I was too little to remember the Finals vs. the Flyers.  I remember everything else in franchise history, and the best team we have iced was in 2006.

I thought we had a solid shot at winning the whole thing that year.

I never had that feeling in '99 even in the Finals against Dallas.

I'd also point out we had awesome looking black uniforms in 2006 too! 

Now we are right back to the same ugly crap we iced in the '80s.

Edited by Kruppstahl

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

It would have been some time in the 2006 playoff run, when things were really looking good.  Probably after knocking off Ottawa.  We had advanced 2 rounds in the playoffs and it all looked pretty easy. 

I was too little to remember the Finals vs. the Flyers.  I remember everything else in franchise history, and the best team we have iced was in 2006.

I thought we had a solid shot at winning the whole thing that year.

I never had that feeling in '99 even in the Finals against Dallas.

I'd also point out we had awesome looking black uniforms in 2006 too! 

Now we are right back to the same ugly crap we iced in the '80s.

I'm with you (except for the uniforms)--that 2006 run was So. Much. Fun.  The 1999 run was more tense because we expected greatness.  The 2006 run was pure unanticipated joy.

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm with you (except for the uniforms)--that 2006 run was So. Much. Fun.  The 1999 run was more tense because we expected greatness.  The 2006 run was pure unanticipated joy.

I think you might be mixing up these 2 teams.  1999 we were the #7 seed and had no offense to speak of.  2006 we were only 3 regular season points from being the #1 seed and had a dynamic offense.  For me at least, 2006 was tense because we had an excellent chance to get to the finals.  Then when all the top 4 seeds in the West lost in round 1, it was like the seas had parted for us.  And then came the injuries and the Canes series.

Also, in 1999 we swept #2 Ottawa and then beat the Bruins and then the Leafs.  That was pure unanticipated joy!  Like it literally couldn't have been a better scenario for Sabres fans.

Edited by BagBoy

11 minutes ago, BagBoy said:

I think you might be mixing up these 2 teams.  1999 we were the #7 seed and had no offense to speak of.  2006 we were only 3 regular season points from being the #1 seed and had a dynamic offense.  For me at least, 2006 was tense because we had an excellent chance to get to the finals.  Then when all the top 4 seeds in the West lost in round 1, it was like the seas had parted for us.  And then came the injuries and the Canes series.

Also, in 1999 we swept #2 Ottawa and then beat the Bruins and then the Leafs.  That was pure unanticipated joy!  Like it literally couldn't have been a better scenario for Sabres fans.

I definitely am not mixing up the teams.  In 1998, the Sabres had lost in the semifinals.  We had expectations the following year.  In 2005, the season was canceled.  In 2004, the Sabres finished last in the division.  When the 2005-06 season started, none of us had any idea that the team would be so good.  Rookies (including one who was waived and who scored a series-winning goal while being entrusted to kill a penalty in overtime) filled out the roster.  In 1999, we had expectations of Hasek; in 2006, we were just hoping that Miller would be starter-quality.

• Like (+1) 2

Great moments are many.  Some I loved the most :  

1.  Thank You Sabres -  1973 season, fan tribute after the upstart 3rd year expansion team made the playoffs in 5he rigged Eastern Division.  
2.  Beating the Soviets (first time) was huge 

3 & 4. ‘75 and ‘99 Stanley Cup finals. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

The high points for me were amidst the 2005-2006 run - the Drury OT goal against Ott’wa is a dark horse.

Also big ups to the 1999 ECF. That was fun. I went to the game when Peca plastered Domi coming out of the penalty box. We sat next to some Canadians (not Leaf fans per se) who advised us that the Leafs were destined to win the Cup because a Canadian team had won the Cup in every year ending in a “9”.

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

We sat next to some Canadians (not Leaf fans per se) who advised us that the Leafs were destined to win the Cup because a Canadian team had won the Cup in every year ending in a “9”.

Yeah, well their winning percentage is dropping like a sack of ***** bricks.

• Haha (+1) 1

For me, the "Thank you, Sabres" game from 1973 is up there.  Defeating the Soviets in 1976 and 1980 are up there.  For those who didn't live through the Cold War, you can't understand how important winning those games were.

Hiring Scotty Bowman was a big deal.  The 1975, 1980, 1983, 1993, 1997-1999, 2001, and 2006-7 playoffs were awesome.

I have a lot of high points, but those are some of mine.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

2.  Beating the Soviets (first time) was huge 

I actually sat down and watched that entire game today and it was so much fun despite the blurry old video. Punch Imlach in the booth giving commentary was fun. Amazing to hear phrases like "Sabres being physical". I don't remember when the last time I heard that was. Probably back in the Peca era. Korab was a tank. French Connection were so fast and skilled. Maybe one day we can dominate somebody again. Maybe. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I actually sat down and watched that entire game today and it was so much fun despite the blurry old video. Punch Imlach in the booth giving commentary was fun. Amazing to hear phrases like "Sabres being physical". I don't remember when the last time I heard that was. Probably back in the Peca era. Korab was a tank. French Connection were so fast and skilled. Maybe one day we can dominate somebody again. Maybe. 

I was at that game.  Amazing.  Nothing can touch the early years.  The Knox's ran a classy organization.   I watched the old video too.  The Soviets were afraid of Korab.   The French Connection out skilled the Russians.   We had many really good players like Jim Lorentz, Peter McNabb, Don Luce, Craig Ramsay, Danny Gare.  Billy Hajt on defense almost never made a mistake, quiet perfection.  Guys like Spinner Spencer and Jimmy Shoenfeld, who left everything on the ice everytime.  We made the whole entire NHL proud with that win.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.