• Trading Scandella for a 4th who was immediately turned around for a 2nd
    • Trading Guhle and a 1st for Montour
    • Signing Jeff Skinner to $9,000,000/year
    • Trading a 1st for Robin Lehner
    • Trading Myers, Stafford, Lemieux, Armia and a 1st for Bogosian and Kane
    • Trading McNabb and two seconds for Delauries and Fasching
    • Drafting Dahlin over Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi, Tkuchuk, and Hughs
    • Drafting Jack Quinn over Marco Rossi

Hahahahaha ... who are the shlubs that think the worst decision in 10 years was drafting Reinhart (the major major consensus at the time) over LD? I think I know who two of them are 😂😂😂

And I’ll never view the tank as one singular action or move. It was multi moves and multi years to achieve.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

Have to go back a year but I think letting Ruff go was a blunder. 

Yeah, I’m all for continuity, especially when the winning history was there, but, after 14.5 seasons, it sounded like the players started tuning him out.  Hindsight is 2020, with no playoff appearances since he was fired. 

27 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Hahahahaha ... who are the shlubs that think the worst decision in 10 years was drafting Reinhart (the major major consensus at the time) over LD? I think I know who two of them are 😂😂😂

And I’ll never view the tank as one singular action or move. It was multi moves and multi years to achieve.

The Fire Sale at the 2014 trade deadline resulted in the following draft picks and how they were used:

Two 1sts- own- Reinhardt (already heavily discussed)

Islanders- Isles took advantage of condition of, if Top 10 pick, push to 2015

Three 1sts- own- Eichel

Islanders- traded to Ottawa for G Robin Lehner 

St Louis- traded to Winnipeg as part of deal for Evander Kane

One 1st- own-  Alex Nylander: showed signs of development last season with Chicago after being traded for D Henri Jokiharju. 

They also received a bunch of 2nd round picks that were mainly used as part of trades (the picks or players drafted) for O’Reilly and Kane 

Present Time: out of all of that, the Sabres currently retain an All-Star center in Eichel (who may not want to be in Buffalo any longer), an average Top 6 forward who didn’t pan out as a drafted center, a solid defensemen and a couple bags of pucks.

Overall, a poor use of assets.

2 minutes ago, gilbert11 said:

The Fire Sale at the 2014 trade deadline resulted in the following draft picks and how they were used:

Three 1sts- own- Eichel

One 1st- own-  Alex Nylander: showed signs of development last season with Chicago after being traded for D Henri Jokiharju. 

They also received a bunch of 2nd round picks that were mainly used as part of trades (the picks or players drafted) for O’Reilly and Kane 

Present Time: out of all of that, the Sabres currently retain an All-Star center in Eichel (who may not want to be in Buffalo any longer), an average Top 6 forward who didn’t pan out as a drafted center, a solid defensemen and a couple bags of pucks.

Why quoting me and the meaning of your post? Not following why I was quoted. Sorry.

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I had to laugh at “letting Kahun walk” 

Totally. That one was a joke right? 

It's not the worst blunder, but drafting Nylander instead of McAvoy has to be up there for me (or even Sergachev) . 

Otherwise so many choices....................Skinner's contract is the gift that keeps on giving though.

Regarding the tank, I also think the way Murray treated Nolan played a part in ruining this team's culture. Like him or hate him he was placed in an impossible situation and then tossed into the trash. A popular man with his players and part of the team's history/success that was just wrong, and that sort of thing has a lasting effect. Only way to get over it quickly is to start winning right away, and we didn't do that. Culture of the team has been broken ever since. ROR should have been named captain, that's another big one for me. Holding it for Eichel was a big big mistake. 

8 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

Three 1sts- own- Eichel

Brock. Boeser. 

• Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Zamboni said:

i seem to remember reading that GMTM really loved Draisatl as well and tried to swing a trade for the #3 pick to get him after Reinhart.

I don't agree with the people saying the tank was the worst blunder. Rather, I think the moves and structure around the tank are what put the Sabres in a downward spiral. I think tanking is an okay move if you have ...

a) Patience - Tim Murray thought he could speed up the rebuild by trading all of our picks and prospects for NHL ready players. It backfired horribly -- I think the Evander Kane trade was just as bad as some of the other moves on the list.

b) Scouting Capabilities - Look back on the 2013 - 2017 drafts. It is embarrassing how few non-first round picks have panned out for the team. Even our first round picks are rarely the best players around their draft position. Additionally, professional scouting would have (hopefully) prevented the team from signing Okposo and Moulson to huge contracts.

c) Competent Executives - This one is sort of self explanatory. Tim Murray was a terrible GM and Botterill wasn't far behind.

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Totally. That one was a joke right? 

It's not the worst blunder, but drafting Nylander instead of McAvoy has to be up there for me (or even Sergachev) . 

Otherwise so many choices....................Skinner's contract is the gift that keeps on giving though.

Regarding the tank, I also think the way Murray treated Nolan played a part in ruining this team's culture. Like him or hate him he was placed in an impossible situation and then tossed into the trash. A popular man with his players and part of the team's history/success that was just wrong, and that sort of thing has a lasting effect. Only way to get over it quickly is to start winning right away, and we didn't do that. Culture of the team has been broken ever since. ROR should have been named captain, that's another big one for me. Holding it for Eichel was a big big mistake. 

Every thing in your post makes sense. Where I have a different take is the significance of the culture issue. The bigger issue for me is the accumulation (or lack of accumulation) of talent. There simply isn't enough talent. This topic has listed a number of "what if" selections and decisions that could have been made and weren't made. So there is no need to cover the same territory. The defining problem with the Sabres isn't that the room has enough character guys so much as it doesn't have enough talent and properly fitting pieces in the room. You can add all the Simmonds and Okposos you want to the room but isn't going to elevate the talent. 

How many changes to the front office and coaching staff have the Sabres had since the Pegulas took over? And with every change there is a change in the philosophy on how to build a winning franchise. That is a predictable recipe for not simply failure but systematic failure. An unstable organization can't compete with stable organizations that are smartly run. 

I don't believe as many do that the Sabres right now are in a shambles. What I am saying is that this lurching back and forth hasn't moved us forward but rather set us back and grossly extended what was supposed to be a rebuilding strategy. The Pegulas are not bad owners so much as they are misguided owners. I think especially after their Bills football experience they have learned to hire the right people and allow them to do their job. They need to follow the same formula with the hockey franchise. 

I'm not as much of an alarmist as many are here. I believe that this team has the talent to be a fringe playoff team and stay in the running until the end of this very abnormal season. What can't be done again is get discouraged and then act out of frustration and set yourself back even more.  

• Like (+1) 1

It's maybe outside the scope of the poll, but anytime you have this many significant mistakes you have to find the root cause.  In this case the clear root cause is ownership.  While the jury is still out on the current management, specifically Adams, we have seen a steady string of bad decisions when it comes to hiring.  The first sign of bad things to come, which, in hindsight, was pretty glaring, was the replacement of Regier with Lafontaine and Nolan.  Regardless of what anyone thinks of any of these 3 individuals, it's a pretty big red-flag when an owner fires a long-time and respected (in NHL circles) GM and replaces him with two popular figures from the team's past who have long-held grievances over their previous controversial departures that just happen to have been overseen by the newly fired GM. 

This was a clear indication that ownership decisions would not always be made based on rationale thought.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Every thing in your post makes sense. Where I have a different take is the significance of the culture issue. The bigger issue for me is the accumulation (or lack of accumulation) of talent. There simply isn't enough talent. This topic has listed a number of "what if" selections and decisions that could have been made and weren't made. So there is no need to cover the same territory. The defining problem with the Sabres isn't that the room has enough character guys so much as it doesn't have enough talent and properly fitting pieces in the room. You can add all the Simmonds and Okposos you want to the room but isn't going to elevate the talent. 

How many changes to the front office and coaching staff have the Sabres had since the Pegulas took over? And with every change there is a change in the philosophy on how to build a winning franchise. That is a predictable recipe for not simply failure but systematic failure. An unstable organization can't compete with stable organizations that are smartly run. 

I don't believe as many do that the Sabres right now are in a shambles. What I am saying is that this lurching back and forth hasn't moved us forward but rather set us back and grossly extended what was supposed to be a rebuilding strategy. The Pegulas are not bad owners so much as they are misguided owners. I think especially after their Bills football experience they have learned to hire the right people and allow them to do their job. They need to follow the same formula with the hockey franchise. 

I'm not as much of an alarmist as many are here. I believe that this team has the talent to be a fringe playoff team and stay in the running until the end of this very abnormal season. What can't be done again is get discouraged and then act out of frustration and set yourself back even more.  

The first ownership philosophy emerged from stability — keep Lindy and Darcy and throw money at the problem. The first change was accompanied by tanking. The second change brought a quick re-build. The third change — who TF knows what that was all about? One final stab at Steel City magic? The fourth great extinction is at hand. Homegrown leadership but also back to the future: the owner has said he thinks the team is a contender now, so presumably he's ready to throw money around again. Terry simply has no clue what he's doing. Down in OP, maybe, very possibly. After all, he's described himself a football guy. But not downtown.

20 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

It's maybe outside the scope of the poll, but anytime you have this many significant mistakes you have to find the root cause.  In this case the clear root cause is ownership.  While the jury is still out on the current management, specifically Adams, we have seen a steady string of bad decisions when it comes to hiring.  The first sign of bad things to come, which, in hindsight, was pretty glaring, was the replacement of Regier with Lafontaine and Nolan.  Regardless of what anyone thinks of any of these 3 individuals, it's a pretty big red-flag when an owner fires a long-time and respected (in NHL circles) GM and replaces him with two popular figures from the team's past who have long-held grievances over their previous controversial departures that just happen to have been overseen by the newly fired GM. 

This was a clear indication that ownership decisions would not always be made based on rationale thought.

When the person you're wooing to be the new GM tells you he's not qualified, it should have been a major clue to order dessert and get the hell out of there. Instead, Terry offered him an even bigger and more complicated role. Truly unbelievable.

Edited by PASabreFan

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I agree with the above.  No NHL team should be more than 2-3 years away from being good on the ice if they are good off the ice.  The Pegulas are obviously smart and successful people who have done many good things for the community.  I don't think they deserve ridicule.  They have been guilty I think of trying to over-correct bad decisions.  As you indicate, I think that is more in line with being misguided as owners than it is with being bad owners.

My great frustration in the Eichel years is that, with the possible exception of his first year, no season has ended with the level of optimism being higher than when the season began. From the beginning of the Eichel years the organization has been unwilling to commit to simply having a plan, growing the talent and taking some additional lumps. Instead we continually take another shot at shortening the rebuild to the point where taking a step back is no longer an option (it should be an option, but it is treated as though it is not).  Even this past off-season was an example. I'm not entirely down on this year's team by any means and still do have hope, but there really was no logical reason for this team at this point in its trajectory to target Taylor Hall as an off-season acquisition.  This was done in an attempt to jump ahead 3 spaces when, so long as we have a solid plan and are smart in what we are doing, 1 space would due.   

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

Yeah, I’m all for continuity, especially when the winning history was there, but, after 14.5 seasons, it sounded like the players started tuning him out.  Hindsight is 2020, with no playoff appearances since he was fired. 

Well they haven't exactly been in lock step with any coach since.  And who cares what those players thought,  we were clearly tanking, so none were part of the future. 

IMO, Ruff had a unique ability to coach teams with completely different skill sets and build a respectable game plan around the type of players he had at that given time. 

8 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

Well they haven't exactly been in lock step with any coach since.  And who cares what those players thought,  we were clearly tanking, so none were part of the future. 

IMO, Ruff had a unique ability to coach teams with completely different skill sets and build a respectable game plan around the type of players he had at that given time. 

He’d be the perfect re-hire when RK is kicked upstairs 

20 minutes ago, freester said:

What exactly has RK shown you that you want him to have authority over Lindy to be kicked upstairs?

I don't want him to have any authority over hockey.  He does have good organizational management skills.  I see him more as an executive managing all things not hockey related.  

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't want him to have any authority over hockey.  He does have good organizational management skills.  I see him more as an executive managing all things not hockey related.  

Director of Communications for PSE

I think if I had to do a Top 5 blunders list

1) LaFontaine hired

2) TM Hired

3) ROR traded and not replaced

4) Myers/Kane Trade

5) Drafting Nylander

Top 5 worst trades

1) McNabb and 2 2nds (Cernak) for garbage

2) ROR for Thompson and a 1st 

3) Myers and other good assets for Kane and Bogo

4) Vesey for a 3rd (twice)