Reasons not to panic

JoeSchmoe

I know things didn't look great the last few games. But...

We're #4 in the division in goal differential, with a bunch of Hutton starts thrown in there. 

With Linus breaking away as the number 1, and Hall, Eichel, and Skinner sure to up their output I really think we can get at least to number 4 in the standings.

We'll need to do something about the Slo-poso problem though.

7 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

We're #4 in the division in goal differential, with a bunch of Hutton starts thrown in there. 

With Linus breaking away as the number 1, and Hall, Eichel, and Skinner sure to up their output I really think we can get at least to number 4 in the standings.

As I've said in other threads, I'm a glass half full kind of fan. And even though I am optimistic as every season starts, including the last 10 seasons (ok, the 2 tank years my optimism was misplaced, BUT, it was there 😉 ), panic is most likely the incorrect term, it's more like, like another deep depression of a season, not unlike any of the last 10 seasons. Only, this time, it seems that some of the players on the team are also feeling it.

Divisional standing won't mean anything in my opinion. We aren't going to the playoffs because we aren't a playoff caliber team.

Ullmark is coming in to his own, a pleasant progression given the teams current circumstances.

Hall, Eichel, Skinner have shown 0 signs they are going to up their output, I'm not expecting it to magically materialize anytime soon either, especially with the way Jack is playing, just a complete disappointment with regards to his compete level. Has he finally "checked out" as some are asking? Sure looks that way on the surface.

As for Okposo, Staal and some of the D, it shouldn't come as any surprise. If we were to be honest with ourselves as we've watched the team over these past years we should expect the results we are seeing because not much has changed in 5 years or so. The talent may be on the roster on paper, but if it can't muster up the ability to find the fire within themselves to win, then no matter how talented they are that should be enough to remove them from Buffalo, one way or another.

The fans of the Buffalo Sabres deserve so much more than the product they are being offered now. And, although I'm a glass half full kind of fan, at some point even I have to relent and admit this team isn't going to fill the other half of my glass. And 10 games is an ample sample size given the 56 game condensed season. Can they turn it around and land a lower playoff spot? Sure, but given their desire to do what is necessary to win, you could just as easily throw a piece of ham at the kitchen ceiling and say "look, pigs can fly". I'm not remotely prepared to lie to myself and say this team has any chance this season given the current cultural atmosphere they are in. Just my humbled opinion is all.

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Like (+1) 2

I agree Eichel looks checked out. At this point I'm hoping it's a case of him playing himself into shape... But he has this I'm too cool care Aura about him.

I recall seeing his Twitter posts where he looked somewhat large, though it was arguable that it was just the camera angle. Playing himself into shape is not an ideal thing to wish for, but at this point... I'd take it.

Edited by JoeSchmoe

Who’s actually panicking?  Maybe a couple posters are. But I bet it’s their personality in their personal lives as well. Negative, worst case, glass half empty, life sucks type of people. Then I think some posters are just that way with sports only. Hence the word, fanatic. But a few posters (and I’m in this group) can watch a game, be aggravated or disappointed because of the loss or poor play, for about 10-15 mins after the game. Then we have it roll off our back and go on with life and not have it affect us in any way. Everyone “enjoys” sports differently. But panic? I don’t think many are doing that. And the ones that are, or are negative in almost every post, I personally tend to ignore them. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Who’s actually panicking?  Maybe a couple posters are. But I bet it’s their personality in their personal lives as well. Negative, worst case, glass half empty, life sucks type of people. Then I think some posters are just that way with sports only. Hence the word, fanatic. But a few posters (and I’m in this group) can watch a game, be aggravated or disappointed because of the loss or poor play, for about 10-15 mins after the game. Then we have it roll off our back and go on with life and not have it affect us in any way. Everyone “enjoys” sports differently. But panic? I don’t think many are doing that. And the ones that are, or are negative in almost every post, I personally tend to ignore them. 

I'm not panicking, I just done think our offense is very good.  Much different things and my personal life is good thanks for worrying. 

6 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

And yet here you are, on a message board about a sports team.

The only reason you let a loss roll off your back is because you’ve been conditioned to. It’s a defense mechanism. I do it too and it ***** pisses me off. I want to care about my team.

To say that someone is a glass half empty person because they are complaining about a team that is working on a decade long, history making playoff drought is just lazy.

You’re not better than us.😀

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I am a Buffalo sports fan of 55 years.  Panic is my natural Pavlovian response.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well idk. I watched the Bruins play Washington tonight and compared to what I saw between us and NJ this was like a whole different league. This game was the pro league and our game was little league. We're going to have to get a lot better to compete with either of them.  

Shhhh you’re just depressed in your normal life and need help. 

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well idk. I watched the Bruins play Washington tonight and compared to what I saw between us and NJ this was like a whole different league. This game was the pro league and our game was little league. We're going to have to get a lot better to compete with either of them.  

I did also. It was a very different viewing experience. The compete level is noticably different.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, SwampD said:

And yet here you are, on a message board about a sports team.

The only reason you let a loss roll off your back is because you’ve been conditioned to. It’s a defense mechanism. I do it too and it ***** pisses me off. I want to care about my team.

To say that someone is a glass half empty person because they are complaining about a team that is working on a decade long, history making playoff drought is just lazy.

You’re not better than us.😀

I’m sorry you took that from my post. I had a feeling some would interpret things differently than intended.

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm not panicking, I just done think our offense is very good.  Much different things and my personal life is good thanks for worrying. 

I’m certainly not worrying. And I obviously wasn’t talking about any individual person on here since I know no one on this board. Then no harm no foul if I wasn’t talking about you or a specific person. And I do agree our offensive output is sorely lacking ...  at the moment. As is our goaltending. As is our defense.

Edited by Zamboni

I don’t panic.  My expectations were not too high to start with.   I think this a 5th  place team at best - that means Eichel plays like last year, Dahlin improves, Hall and Skinner contribute goals, and Hutton does not do a 2nd half of the season swoon.  

So far none of the above is looking good.  If the Islanders start to play like last year we will drop to the 6,7, or 8 sector of the division.   If this happens our culture of losing will get us a lottery pick. 

Panic no.  Complain yes.  

• Like (+1) 1

I appreciate the OP's sentiment.

I'm fairly numb to what this team is, what it does. It's a fascinating study in ineptitude at this point.

It occurred to me over the past few days: FGMTM and FGMJBOTT have each left a legacy of a bad (or even brutal) contract. The team has nearly 20% of its cap space tied up in a pair of players who are not contributing and/or can't meaningfully contribute to a winning team. That is some sh1t, man.

• Sad 1

I really don't think the Sabres are worth panicing about.

They will be okay this season, but if we are honest with ourselves then we should be able to say that we did not expect much more than that.  Things are coming along and it has taken a long time, but we will get there eventually.  Where that is anyone can guess.

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I appreciate the OP's sentiment.

I'm fairly numb to what this team is, what it does. It's a fascinating study in ineptitude at this point.

It occurred to me over the past few days: FGMTM and FGMJBOTT have each left a legacy of a bad (or even brutal) contract. The team has nearly 20% of its cap space tied up in a pair of players who are not contributing and/or can't meaningfully contribute to a winning team. That is some sh1t, man.

It's so difficult. I was in the sign Skinner camp, same for Eichel of course.  If they didn't the average fan would have continued with the narrative re: TP / greedy owners, etc.  It would have taken huge GM balls to not sign either one of them.  Sadly it now seems both were big mistakes. Optimistically Jack figures it out and or "with the right pieces" (RK, staal, hall) they can get him into a role where it works for the team.  Because if/when he leaves and goes to a team with established culture, identity, and leadership you know what's gonna happen.

Just now, Getpucksdeep said:

It's so difficult. I was in the sign Skinner camp, same for Eichel of course.  If they didn't the average fan would have continued with the narrative re: TP / greedy owners, etc.  It would have taken huge GM balls to not sign either one of them.  Sadly it now seems both were big mistakes. Optimistically Jack figures it out and or "with the right pieces" (RK, staal, hall) they can get him into a role where it works for the team.  Because if/when he leaves and goes to a team with established culture, identity, and leadership you know what's gonna happen.

I hear you.

The Skinner signing felt like a mistake to me at the time, although I clung to hope that he'd just stay pegged to Jack's line and make it work.

I can't see the Eichel long-term signing as a mistake. Well, maybe the long-term aspect of it was regrettable. It seems like more players in the league are now accepting shorter deals (?). Anyway. He is just a terrific player - a legitimate 1C. But it may be that he's been miscast here in Buffalo. It may be that he's not temperamentally suited to being the Captain, the face of the franchise, and so on.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.