GDT: 1/31/21 1pm ET, NJ Devils at Buffalo, MSG, NHL Network, WGR

jsb

7 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

This looks to be very true, I see no enthusiasm or camaraderie between each other. There is no team cohesion with these guys and it is very transparent

This is not a new problem though...how many times have other teams taken cheap shots at our players (including Eichel) with no credible "beat your ass" response?  Our guys fold like wet noodles and went to the Casey Nelson school of toughness.  

I don't see evidence of anybody having an "I've got your back" attitude.  Simmonds may have brought that for the short time he was there last season.

Edited by Carmel Corn

I actually agree with quite a bit of RK's postgame assessments. I think he is clearly identifying the major problems. The question is: can he fix them?

I don't think it's about "work ethic," as some here say. I think they are working their a#@'s off, but not always in the smartest, most efficient ways, and they are not connecting.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Carmel Corn said:

Simmons may have brought that for the short time he was there last season.

Simmonds could've been signed for less than Girgensons and earlier.

Of course... if one of these young players wanted to make a name for themselves they could become this player. I don't know that it's in everyone's DNA, but if you want to make it, maybe you do it anyway. Heck, even Hulk Hogan turned heel when he left the WWF and went to WCW (dating myself there). 

Thompson -- you wanna make this team? You want a permanent role in the top 12? Just forget dangling and run someone. Then get in a fight. Then savor the roar of the crowd.

17 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

To put it in simpler terms, this team flat-out sucks and it is pretty easy to see with the eyeball test. I don't care what all these ridiculous analytic number is telling me. This team is going nowhere.

First, I apologize for the term ridiculous.

Second, given your propensity for hyperbole, forgive me if I don’t take it as gospel.

I know people are frustrated and I love your particular passion but this team is going to be in the middle of things and when they are we will both be there cheering.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

And the only two guys who have repeatedly stood up for their teammates the past four seasons are Reinhart (out) and Okposo (limited ice and has to protect his head lest his career ends). And that doesn't mean having to throw punches. That's just getting in someone's face if there's anything dirty.

And you don't need a team or even a line of goons. You just need a few people who will be there for each other.

Was it Bylsma's first year where the whole team got in a fight at Arizona and Bogo and Reino and Eichel were laughing on the way to the dressing room? (Coincidently, the last time the team looked any good heading down the stretch.)

That was awesome. Bogo was a madman fighting for his mates and protecting those guys. This team has none of that. 

48 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I have a theory about Staal.  He didn’t want to come to Buffalo.  He reflected on his career and all he’s achieved professionally and financially.  He’s riding this chapter of his career out and doesn’t actually care.  It’s his twilight contract.  He’s checked out and is an empty uniform.

he's also very old for a hockey player and very little left to offer

7 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

I actually agree with quite a bit of RK's postgame assessments. I think he is clearly identifying the major problems. The question is: can he fix them?

I don't think it's about "work ethic," as some here say. I think they are working their a#@'s off, but not always in the smartest, most efficient ways, and they are not connecting.

What did he say?

9 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

I don't know if I agree.  I see a lot of guys floating and too many 1 vs. 1 battles being lost.  Whatever talents this team has is not being utilized in RK's "system".  They don't look motivated  and lack intensity....sorry, not seeing what you're seeing.

• Like (+1) 3

I had actually decided at the end of last year to not buy my usual mini-pack of 10 games or so after over 20 years.

Then they picked up Hall and Staal and made a few other small changes.

I thought, well, maybe I would’ve changed my mind and picked one up again.  

The pandemic made the decision for me.  

There would have to be some unforeseen miracle of transformation for me to even slightly consider buying tickets when possible again.

The Sabres are the definition of insanity.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Don't forget Mitts 😁😎

Seriously, who has looked better so far Mitts or TT?

Mitts and it isn't close. TT still has time (three year contract!), but he's not shown anything yet this year. Mitts looked good at times today. He also looked bad on the garbage pinball goal at the end of the second where no Sabre defended the crease or shutdown their man, but he wasn't alone.

32 minutes ago, inkman said:

If that’s his mentality, he should be traded ASAP. 

I actually agree with this sincerely. His value is still top notch. Trade him for a sweetheart package? I'm all ears.

37 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

What did he say?

He said: "insert any Warner Bros. Road Runner / Wiley Coyote cartoon here".

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

The core of the team is rotten, and the HC, GM and owners don’t see it, or don’t want to admit it. 

Unfortunately, with a green GM, and a motivational speaker as your HC, I don’t trust them to try and pull off a trade involving any of the core. 

I’m really not sure what the next move should be as long as Adams is the GM? 😞

IT REALLY SUCKS BEING A SABRES FAN...AND HAS BEEN THAT WAY FOR 10+ YEARS NOW. 😡

I assume you mean Eichel, Reinhart, and Dahlin as the core?

Trading them will probably lead to another disaster and more lottery picks in search of the everlasting generational talent.  (Orr, Gretzky, Lemueix, ... ).  I advise against trading Eichel or Dahlin, and actually I think we get closer to full capability and performance from 23 than we do from 9 and 26.  Those two guys should be leading and making plays and helping this team grow; instead we just split games with the Rags and Devils.  We are talented enough to be on a four game home win steak, instead we did not even get a regulation win.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, tom webster said:

First, I apologize for the term ridiculous.

Second, given your propensity for hyperbole, forgive me if I don’t take it as gospel.

I know people are frustrated and I love your particular passion but this team is going to be in the middle of things and when they are we will both be there cheering.

By middle of things I assume you mean fighting for 5th place against the Isles, Devils and Rangers. 

Our chance at 5th place with a shot at 4th  is if Eichel returns to last years form, Hall finds some chemistry with somebody, Skinner contributes some goals before being banished for good by RK, Dahlin advances his play,  and most important- Hutton does not pull a Hutton and have another big losing streak.   

I see the Islanders passing us and challenging for 4th place.   I see the Rangers and Devils as teams with coaches and players that don’t live mired in perpetual losing.  We could end up 8th and in the middle of the draft lottery.   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

I was almost sucked in to ordering the NHL streaming package today, something I swore off after the past few years.   Thankfully, I resisted.  It’s all I can do to follow this team based on box scores and game write ups.  It would be unbearable to be subjected to actually watching the mediocrity the Sabre’s have become.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.