Is Eichel playing injured?

Bart

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So you mean the face of the franchise who has a broken rib, a neck injury, and is named Jack Eichel is hiding because he.... hasn't been on tv? I really don't understand your question. What is Eichel supposed to be doing right now other than healing and recovery?

It's weird how much flak Eichel and Reinhart take from Sabres fans, despite being the first and second best players--by a mile--on this team.  

Sure, the entire organization sucks!  But Eichel isn't a part of that!  Why point the finger at him?  Ditto Reinhart.

And yet watch!  These idiots will trade 1 or both of them rather than sort out the organizational failures first! 

Eichel when healthy and playing at his best is somewhere around a Top 10 center league wide.  That's pretty good!  20 other teams don't have a player that good.  And we literally sacrificed an entire season of hockey to get him! 

If he is traded, we will NOT get back a player of equal or better value in the trade, no matter how many pieces it might include. 

And yet Sabres fans piss on him constantly and want him gone.

WTF is up with that?

• Thanks (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

WTF is up with that?

I agree that Eichel at his best is a top-10 (I’d venture top ... 6?) centre in the league, the world.

I also agree that trading him would result in the Sabres getting bad value for an elite player.

All that said: I’ve been hearing more lately about how Eichel’s intangibles are lacking (i.e., that he’s just too much of a self centered Masshole to be a proper leader (hence why the team brought in an Eric Staal to help mentor Cozens)). It’s possible that the team is going to have to move on from Eichel in order to rebuild, which would suck. 

One reason I don’t really buy the narrative: A better leader isn’t going to get a roster of plugs to be a winning team. You need a better roster of players, and a competent coach.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I agree that Eichel at his best is a top-10 (I’d venture top ... 6?) centre in the league, the world.

I also agree that trading him would result in the Sabres getting bad value for an elite player.

All that said: I’ve been hearing more lately about how Eichel’s intangibles are lacking (i.e., that he’s just too much of a self centered Masshole to be a proper leader (hence why the team brought in an Eric Staal to help mentor Cozens)). It’s possible that the team is going to have to move on from Eichel in order to rebuild, which would suck. 

One reason I don’t really buy the narrative: A better leader isn’t going to get a roster of plugs to be a winning team. You need a better roster of players, and a competent coach.

Interesting, is there a specific article/quotes/a story you are referring to? 

40 minutes ago, ubkev said:

What would you prefer he be doing right now?

How about he get on a zoom call just once, address the coaching change, make support the boys still here, address his progress, etc.  The face of the franchise who is invested in this team, his teammates and the organization would do that.  

Considering how much has happened since he went away, the fact he has said absolutely nothing says a lot about where his mind is.  IMHO.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, COSabreFan said:

How about he get on a zoom call just once, address the coaching change, make support the boys still here, address his progress, etc.  The face of the franchise who is invested in this team, his teammates and the organization would do that.  

Considering how much has happened since he went away, the fact he has said absolutely nothing says a lot about where his mind is.  IMHO.

Do players who are on IR do this type of thing often?

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Everything tangible/believable I've ever ready about Eichel suggests he's humble and reserved - that if his leadership was lacking, it wouldn't be because he's an arrogant douche, but because he's too quiet/unsure. 

But I'd be interested to hear where  you got this from! 

1 minute ago, ubkev said:

Do many Captains, face of franchise players have the coach he supposedly loved playing for fired, a 17 game winless streak, and 1 leading player and soon to be others traded while they are on IR?

im not saying he needs to be in locker room everyday, speak to media everyday.  I think wherever he is, to get on a Zoom call at least one time to address anything is not to much to ask a Captain/face of franchise player. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

First thing that pops into my mind is Messier going to the Canucks, as captain, and missing the playoffs for three straight seasons. They weren’t plugs though, Mogilny, Bure, Naslund, Linden, Jovanovski...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, COSabreFan said:

Do many Captains, face of franchise players have the coach he supposedly loved playing for fired, a 17 game winless streak, and 1 leading player and soon to be others traded while they are on IR?

im not saying he needs to be in locker room everyday, speak to media everyday.  I think wherever he is, to get on a Zoom call at least one time to address anything is not to much to ask a Captain/face of franchise player. 

You know jack hasn't played in 15 of those games?

4 minutes ago, COSabreFan said:

I can't disagree more with asking the player on IR to have a special press conference about front office stuff he's not part of. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, ubkev said:

No. They disappear and rehab. When they start practicing again they'll resurface to talk. Just like we've not heard from Girgensons or McCabe or Ullmark while he was out, too. Maybe if Eichel were a constant presence on social media he might do something, but that would be discouraged. The team doesn't want him talking about rehab and how close or not close he is to returning.

For a true big-name presence (Eichel doesn't compare) when Aaron Rodgers broke his collarbone -- both times -- he basically disappeared into the depths of IR until right before coming back. The only notes were the "he's throwing again" and "he's practicing again", but it was otherwise silent. 

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, COSabreFan said:

I personally don’t care what a single player has to say.

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You know jack hasn't played in 15 of those games?

I can't disagree more with asking the player on IR to have a special press conference about front office stuff he's not part of. 

This.

• Like (+1) 2

And there’s a huge leap to think unequivocally, Jack hasn’t reached out to his teammates to talk about the games and RK being fired.

“but but but ... I don’t know about it! It’s not publicly known, so Jack must not be talking to anyone! So I’m gonna go off the deep end and react to a hypothetical scenario that may or may not be true! Gawrrrrrrr!!!”

bloody hell ...

😂

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

It's weird how much flak Eichel and Reinhart take from Sabres fans, despite being the first and second best players--by a mile--on this team.  

Sure, the entire organization sucks!  But Eichel isn't a part of that!  Why point the finger at him?  Ditto Reinhart.

And yet watch!  These idiots will trade 1 or both of them rather than sort out the organizational failures first! 

Eichel when healthy and playing at his best is somewhere around a Top 10 center league wide.  That's pretty good!  20 other teams don't have a player that good.  And we literally sacrificed an entire season of hockey to get him! 

If he is traded, we will NOT get back a player of equal or better value in the trade, no matter how many pieces it might include. 

WTF is up with that?

We threw away 2 seasons to get them and you wonder why fans would have an irrational expectation?  Seems self evident to me.

• Like (+1) 4

52 minutes ago, COSabreFan said:

If you don't have to talk to the media, don't talk to the media.

Edited by ubkev
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, nucci said:

I agree there's nothing he should be doing but it would be nice of our reporters to maybe get an update on his progress and possible return.

Remember when they asked Krueger if Jack was hurt and he outright lied?

Can’t trust anything these guys have to say anyways

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Remember when they asked Krueger if Jack was hurt and he outright lied?

Can’t trust anything these guys have to say anyways

I don't know why this was so controversial? Coaches lie all the time about injuries. 'Yeah Jack's got a bad neck, so if the opposition move the puck laterally he'll have a hard time tracking it'

3 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

I don't know why this was so controversial? Coaches lie all the time about injuries. 'Yeah Jack's got a bad neck, so if the opposition move the puck laterally he'll have a hard time tracking it'

Coaches usually evade when asked. Decline to give information, or much by way of a confirmation about anything. They don’t usually bold face lie. 

He claimed himself he “didn’t know” about it, which is also ridiculous 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

WTF is up with that?

Interesting points.  Especially on Eichel.  Top 10 center is about right if healthy. Last year he was even in the top 5.  His play this season is a mystery but I think it’s safe to assume he has been injured all season, despite what Ralph said.  

I will disagree that he isn’t part of the problem.  Using the McDermott philosophy - Every player and coach and front office exec is accountable in some way.   I have mentioned the lack of leadership among the players on this team and some have called me out for it.   I stand by my thoughts that Sam and Jack, the best players on the team, but are also part of the problem.  Acceptance of losing is a problem that needs purging   

I fear that our inept front office would blow any trade involving Eichel or Reinhart.  That is not to say it couldn’t be done to mutual benefit of both teams.  Blockbuster hockey trades were common.   For decades I’ve seen Hall of fame players like Mahavolich, Dionne, Esposito, Gretzky, Messier, LaFontaine, and many more get traded.  Eichel is not in the same league with these guys, and very likely Sam never will be.   

I think the solution is to fix the front office at the top.  Until we do that, this team is going nowhere.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, COSabreFan said:

I’m sorry, but I think there is something else going on. Injured? Ya maybe. In an interview Granato said something weird, like Jack is in a safe space or place or something. Sounded odd. Maybe 8m reading too much into it, but I’m suspicious this is something else. And you are right about h8m just being gone, it’s strange. 

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Interesting points.  Especially on Eichel.  Top 10 center is about right if healthy. Last year he was even in the top 5.  His play this season is a mystery but I think it’s safe to assume he has been injured all season, despite what Ralph said.  

I will disagree that he isn’t part of the problem.  Using the McDermott philosophy - Every player and coach and front office exec is accountable in some way.   I have mentioned the lack of leadership among the players on this team and some have called me out for it.   I stand by my thoughts that Sam and Jack, the best players on the team, but are also part of the problem.  Acceptance of losing is a problem that needs purging   

I fear that our inept front office would blow any trade involving Eichel or Reinhart.  That is not to say it couldn’t be done to mutual benefit of both teams.  Blockbuster hockey trades were common.   For decades I’ve seen Hall of fame players like Mahavolich, Dionne, Esposito, Gretzky, Messier, LaFontaine, and many more get traded.  Eichel is not in the same league with these guys, and very likely Sam never will be.   

I think the solution is to fix the front office at the top.  Until we do that, this team is going nowhere.  

This implies that they can't be part of the solution. Trading Eichel is a mistake unless the return is absurdly in our favor. 

5 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I’m sorry, but I think there is something else going on. Injured? Ya maybe. In an interview Granato said something weird, like Jack is in a safe space or place or something. Sounded odd. Maybe 8m reading too much into it, but I’m suspicious this is something else. And you are right about h8m just being gone, it’s strange. 

Something else? He's got 2 injuries

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.