GDT: 1/30/21 1pm ET, NJ Devils at Buffalo, MSG & WGR

jsb

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

@GASabresIUFAN there is a flip side to your response. Who was the player that a majority of people clamored to be dealt? Without question it was Risto. His play has been superb. He provides an element of toughness and much to my surprise for the most part (not always)  intelligent presence in the backend. He and McCabe our our best pairing.  

OMG, what is @Brawndo going to do and who will he have to trade now???

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Who was the player that a majority of people clamored to be dealt?

I never understood why anyone wanted to get rid of him.  The reason some wanted him dealt, I figured, is they thought we could get a lot back for him, but then we'd have to fill his spot with a gritty top-4 defender.  That's a tough hole to fill.

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Remember I’m the guy who just posted that his 3 year deal is worrisome.

TT was 6-4 185 on draft day is now 6-7 219.   Once I learned he is still growing I realized I’m not seeing a finished product. It might be two more years before he fills out and becomes the power forward we hope.  Therefore, I’m not yet willing to write him off as a tweener.  

He simply does not have the attitude or style to become the power forward we all want. Pretty sure Cozens has already hit more guys in 1 year than Thompson has in all his time here. and I know it's not just about hitting, but for brevity, he just doesn't play a power forward type game. 

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

He simply does not have the attitude or style to become the power forward we all want. Pretty sure Cozens has already hit more guys in 1 year than Thompson has in all his time here. and I know it's not just about hitting, but for brevity, he just doesn't play a power forward type game. 

Dave Andrechuck was also a power forward who did not hit many people.  What he did do that made him a power forward was use his size and strength to create chaos and space.  If Thompson would use his size and strength in the same way he'd be quire effective.  But that is an attitude as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Dave Andrechuck was also a power forward who did not hit many people.  What he did do that made him a power forward was use his size and strength to create chaos and space.  If Thompson would use his size and strength in the same way he'd be quire effective.  But that is an attitude as well. 

I thought of Andreychuk when thinking of Thompson the other day.  Thompson has size...great reach...and we keep hearing how good his hands are....so why does he not work buy putting in in front of the net every single powerplay?  His skillset should lend itself to sucking in most rebounds and banging them into (or at least at) the net.

58 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I thought of Andreychuk when thinking of Thompson the other day.  Thompson has size...great reach...and we keep hearing how good his hands are....so why does he not work buy putting in in front of the net every single powerplay?  His skillset should lend itself to sucking in most rebounds and banging them into (or at least at) the net.

While your final sentence may in time turn out to be accurate; his lack of coordination stops it at the bolded presently.

5 hours ago, Weave said:

Dave was a different kind of power forward entirely. He was (still is) a barrel chested big upper body kind of guy. Solid and strong and thus really hard to move out from the slot area. And that was in an era when you could hack and whack pretty good in there. Thompson is a gangly giraffe with nowhere near the same solidness in his upper body. For him to be similar to Dave he'd have to have a physique like Chara, and he does not. 

More importantly perhaps, he simply doesn't play that way or drive the net with his body forward. He just tries to snap that wrist shot whenever he gets anywhere near the slot and most are easy pickings for the goalie. 

If we had a Dave Andreychuk Kreuger wouldn't have to put Risto in front all the time on the PP 🙂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.