GDT: 1/30/21 1pm ET, NJ Devils at Buffalo, MSG & WGR

jsb

41 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Of the Amerks.

He’d get claimed if waived.

44 minutes ago, freester said:

I was overly optimistic on TT. He belongs on the 3rd line. 

Understatement

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't think they are playing very good at all, but they are picking up the points and a win is a win so let it slide and see what happens. 

The Giraffe needs to be sent to Rochester. He is useless. 

No, not useless, but not utilized properly.  He is 6-7 and 219.  He is awkward with a capital A.  He has good instincts but needs to not to be playing yet in a top 6 role.  He should be playing every night on a 3rd scoring line and be allowed to learn from his mistakes.  As I’ve said before I wanted Cozens centering that line but with him excelling in a top 6 role we’ll have to settle for Lazar centering that line.  My guess is a Skinner Lazar Thompson line could work.  

4 hours ago, Hawerchuk said:

Ok. I love him and you all love him but you have to admit, Rick Jeanneret was awful today. He missed two devils goals and called Eric Stall , Marc Stall when he scored. I understand he’s up there in age and all that but he’s missing lots of things on the ice. The broadcast today was a capital B... as in BORING!

Rick hasn’t been good in close to ten years. I remember trying to listen to radio broadcasts when I first got into the army and it was impossible to follow. TV was okay, I guess, maybe five years ago, but even that is generous. Jim and Mike really did wonders for the broadcast and it’s been downhill since they have left. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He’d get claimed if waived.

Understatement

No, not useless, but not utilized properly.  He is 6-7 and 219.  He is awkward with a capital A.  He has good instincts but needs to not to be playing yet in a top 6 role.  He should be playing every night on a 3rd scoring line and be allowed to learn from his mistakes.  As I’ve said before I wanted Cozens centering that line but with him excelling in a top 6 role we’ll have to settle for Lazar centering that line.  My guess is a Skinner Lazar Thompson line could work.  

I disagree. He's just awkward. I was hoping he'd become something and use that size, but he doesn't and he doesn't really have an identity. Doesn't do any particular thing well and thus has no real role. 

I'm pretty much done with hoping for him or Mitts and would rather the bottom six was filled with Lazars and Reiders or other similar hard workers and grinders. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Didn’t people here say that TT was going to score 20 this year and make KA look like a genius for signing him for 3 years at 1.4?  Early returns are worrisome.

He plays under his size as far as toughness kinda like he has been gelded... time to move on.  Worrisome is putting it lightly.

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I disagree. He's just awkward. I was hoping he'd become something and use that size, but he doesn't and he doesn't really have an identity. Doesn't do any particular thing well and thus has no real role. 

I'm pretty much done with hoping for him or Mitts and would rather the bottom six was filled with Lazars and Reiders or other similar hard workers and grinders. 

Mitts I still have hope for but Thompson meh... his shot sure but what good is it he take between four games to get it off and misses the net half the time.

So, wasn’t able to watch yesterday, but I caught the highlights this morning.  Thoughts........

I don’t think Ullmark has been very good lately, and he didn’t look very good in this game.  He is pretty consistently letting in at least 1 bad goal per game.

Sabres scored a PP goal with Dahlin, Hall, Olofsson, Lazar and Risto out there.  Weird.  Was that after Eichel got hit in the face?

At one point I would have considered myself a Risto hater, but he has definitely been his best self this season.  What does everyone think the difference is for him?

How did Dahlin look?

Staal looks like he is rounding into form nicely the past couple games.  He is slow, but he has a big body, good hands, good shot, and just knows what to do/where to be out there.

I don’t expect the scoring pace to continue, but Reider has been better than I thought he would be.  He really does bring something that last year’s team lacked.  More speed and aggressiveness from the bottom 6.

I can’t believe that Reinhart actually missed a game!  Did anyone check the obits?

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

Shootout is a specialty. Before tonight, career success rate:

Skinner 18%

Hall 25%

Dahlin 100%

And it’s not like Skinner has been riding a hot streak lately. Or even the past season and a half.

So you would put out a D-Man who is rarely on a breakway over 2 proven goal scorers?

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Didn’t people here say that TT was going to score 20 this year and make KA look like a genius for signing him for 3 years at 1.4?  Early returns are worrisome.

I was one of the people who thought TT could score 15-20 goals (pro-rated for full season). So far it appears that I am way off the mark. He is much stronger on the puck, battling his man and willing to go in the corners but there is a lack of quickness that hinders him on offense. Krueger is not reluctant to give players opportunities; he's also not reluctant to pull the plug on a player and move them down to a lower line when a demotion is warranted. I'm not giving up on him but unless there is an upswing in his performance he is at best a second-tier and lower line player. 

@GASabresIUFAN there is a flip side to your response. Who was the player that a majority of people clamored to be dealt? Without question it was Risto. His play has been superb. He provides an element of toughness and much to my surprise for the most part (not always)  intelligent presence in the backend. He and McCabe our our best pairing. 

side note: I am again predicting that Skinner will score in this game. I will not stop predicting him to score a goal until he does so.  

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

He plays under his size as far as toughness kinda like he has been gelded... time to move on.  Worrisome is putting it lightly.

Remember I’m the guy who just posted that his 3 year deal is worrisome.

TT was 6-4 185 on draft day is now 6-7 219.   Once I learned he is still growing I realized I’m not seeing a finished product. It might be two more years before he fills out and becomes the power forward we hope.  Therefore, I’m not yet willing to write him off as a tweener.  

Because he is still growing and developing KA should have given him a one year minimum deal and see what happens.  If he develops then sign him longterm.  If not, move on.

What we do know is that he is to good for the AHL and not yet a legit NHLer. Since KA did commit to him, that means he needs to play in the NHL to develop.  That means putting him in a position to succeed.  RK isn’t doing that.  No surprise.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

13 hours ago, SwampD said:

On another note, the sound of the Sabres games this year has to be addressed. I thought it was just my system, but I watched it at my buddy's house and it was the same.

The audio is at least 1 to 2 frames earlier than the video. It's just not that hard to delay the audio to match.. WTF?

Does nobody hear the the puck slamming off the boards when Jack shoots it wide before we even see Jack shoot the puck.

It's really ***** annoying.

I'm not sure why it's happening. It almost seemed to be worse yesterday. The puck is barely over the goal line when we hear the score call. I wonder if it's a way of making Rick sound less behind the play.

On the bright side of life, they seem to have fixed the horn/RJ conflict.

17 minutes ago, nucci said:

So you would put out a D-Man who is rarely on a breakway over 2 proven goal scorers?

Again, this isn’t 5-on-5 hockey and they aren’t proven shootout scorers. 
Hall has 4 goals in 16 shootouts. Skinner has 6 in 29. 

I would be watching and testing players in practice and be aware of their shootout history and their history against the goalie.

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

@GASabresIUFAN there is a flip side to your response. Who was the player that a majority of people clamored to be dealt? Without question it was Risto. His play has been superb. He provides an element of toughness and much to my surprise for the most part (not always)  intelligent presence in the backend. He and McCabe our our best pairing. 

Most people predicted Risto would be traded because they thought he’d garner the most return. He improved last year defensively, had term left on his deal and was a proven product on offense.  For these reasons KA correctly didn’t trade him and now he is being used properly on the PP. 

For me, I also didn’t want to lose his physical game, something we still lack as a team.  I also wouldn’t have been angry if we got good value in return like a proven 2c with term.  I wanted Miller gone.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

So, wasn’t able to watch yesterday, but I caught the highlights this morning.  Thoughts........

I don’t think Ullmark has been very good lately, and he didn’t look very good in this game.  He is pretty consistently letting in at least 1 bad goal per game.

Sabres scored a PP goal with Dahlin, Hall, Olofsson, Lazar and Risto out there.  Weird.  Was that after Eichel got hit in the face?

At one point I would have considered myself a Risto hater, but he has definitely been his best self this season.  What does everyone think the difference is for him?

How did Dahlin look?

Staal looks like he is rounding into form nicely the past couple games.  He is slow, but he has a big body, good hands, good shot, and just knows what to do/where to be out there.

I don’t expect the scoring pace to continue, but Reider has been better than I thought he would be.  He really does bring something that last year’s team lacked.  More speed and aggressiveness from the bottom 6.

I can’t believe that Reinhart actually missed a game!  Did anyone check the obits?

I agree with much of your observations drawn from the highlights but they don't give a full picture unless you watched the game. Ullmark did give up a couple of weak goals. But if you watched the whole game he made a number of tough saves where on balance he played he was a major factor in us getting the win. (My opinion.) 

Your observation about Risto demonstrates that you have a keen eye. This season Risto is playing a more controlled and disciplined game. By simplifying his game he has played a smarter game. When he tries to do to much he makes glaring mistakes. And even his hitting is much more judicious and purposeful compared to prior seasons. McCabe is a good partner who enhances Risto's game. It also helps that the forwards are more conscious in fulfilling their defensive responsibilities. 

Your Stall observation is spot on. He has been steadily getting better as he becomes familiar with his new teammates . Staal's style of play has little flash. He is the epitome of substance over style. He is the perfect model for Cozens to follow.   

Reinhart is an underappreciated player. 

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, nucci said:

Players work on the breakaway in practice. The players who are the best at it are usually the ones who are called on. The priority list can change. It doesn't matter what position the player plays. And sometimes the coach calls on a player because his gut tells him to pick that particular player. 

Career Shootout stats

• Montour 50 (2/4)
  • Dahlin 50 (1/2)
  • Ristolainen 50 (1/2)
  • Mittelstadt 37.5 (3/8)
  • Okposo 37.1 (13/35) but he is 0/6 as a Sabre
  • Eichel 33.3 (8/24)
  • Thompson 33.3 (1/3)
  • Reinhart 31.8 (7/22)
  • Hall 25 (4/16)
  • Staal 22.2% (4/18)
  • Skinner 17.1 (6/29)
  • Cozens 0 (0/1)
  • Eakin 0 (0/1)
  • Olofsson 0 (0/2)
  • Reider 0 (0/3)

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, nucci said:

Thought the choices after Eichel were odd (definitely Dahlin, but even Olofsson over Hall getting a shot against his former team) but wondered if it had anything to do with things that the staff (Steve Smith particularly) had seen from when Wedgewood was in camp w/ Dahlin & spent a full year w/ Olofsson in Ra-cha-cha.  

The Dahlin choice was a mistake, but Olofsson beat him cleanly; he just hit the wrong side of the post. 

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Most people predicted Risto would be traded because they thought he’d garner the most return. He improved last year defensively, had term left on his deal and was a proven product on offense.  For these reasons KA correctly didn’t trade him and now he is being used properly on the PP. 

For me, I also didn’t want to lose his physical game, something we still lack as a team.  I also wouldn’t have been angry if we got good value in return like a proven 2c with term.  I wanted Miller gone.  

Risto was one of the most criticized players on this board. I don't recall many people believing that he would be a player who by himself would get a proven 2C in return. Usually a Risto trade proposal included a high pick or other players to get the 2C return. 

I'm not saying what you thought about Risto was right or wrong. I am commenting on the prevailing view that he was a player that many were willing to dispatch because his level of play wasn't ever going to be as high as hoped for. 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Risto was one of the most criticized players on this board. I don't recall many people believing that he would be a player who by himself would get a proven 2C in return. Usually a Risto trade proposal included a high pick or other players to get the 2C return. 

I'm not saying what you thought about Risto was right or wrong. I am commenting on the prevailing view that he was a player that many were willing to dispatch because his level of play wasn't ever going to be as high as hoped for. 

There were absolutely people here who dumped on him as a D liability who needed to go.  Maybe even the most vocal.  

Agree that Risto plus was needed to get a younger 2c w term.  Not sure the prevailing view was dump him instead of him being a valuable piece in a broader deal. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.