GDT: 1/30/21 1pm ET, NJ Devils at Buffalo, MSG & WGR

jsb

1 minute ago, Shmuffalo said:

Surprised Ralph didnt give Hall the chance to close it out against the Devils, but happy with a W, despite another OT winner.

I bet you he didnt even think the thought because he dont even have the brains for it. One hundred percent!

It was painful to see Hall not getting a shot against his former team, wtf cupcake?

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, jad1 said:

So do you think that the Risto screen was planned, or was it something he decided to do on his own?

Risto's screen is definitely planned. They did it a few times late last season. My comment was more that Thompson was on the PP in the 1st and playing the high slot instead of in front of the net (Skinner was there), and if you're going to put a 6'7" out on the PP and he's not blasting away one timers (which he wasn't) then he'd better be a screen on the goalie.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

Jersey is better and Isles and Pens may not be as good as people think.

Ruff is going to have them playing better and better as the season goes on.  Overall I still think NJ finishes 6th/7th this season; there's not enough on the back end or in goal. We need to bank our points against them early.

I'm definitely not sold on the Pens this year (I think they miss the playoffs). I don't know about the Islanders yet, haven't caught any of their games. But history says they'll play defense well and that'll get them a lot of OT points and are likely in that 4th-5th-6th range. Gotta win the series agains them if we want to make the playoffs, too.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MODO Hockey said:

Yea, imagine if the team in front of him actually could play. 

Wow. Nothing from their obviously injured captain. Nothing from their 9 million winger, Their generational defenseman is still struggling. Apparently their coach sucks. They have played six games against two of the top five teams. And yet?

The underlying numbers say dumb coach’s system leads the league in quality shot suppression, possession numbers are good and:

Their record is 4-3-2 and would be 6-2-1 with better goaltending.

Sounds to me like process is working.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I have a strange unvalidated feeling this is Skinner’s last season in Buffalo.

I don't know how it's done without significant salary retention, not to mention his NMC.  However, based on his usage, and little sign its changing... I dont think he'd be too upset waiving it.

2 minutes ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

My biggest takeaway from this game is Tage Thompson is terrible at hockey

I mean... he's better than me. But he definitely looked like Asplund gets the next look.

I learned that Eichel needs Reinhart and that the team stepped up when Eichel was off the ice.

Okposo looks slower than ever. A really sloppy turnover and d-zone coverage led to a snipe against Ullmark he'd like to have back, and then the soft one where he slipped the post, but he gamed back and won the shootout nicely. We still don't look cohesive, but it's getting to the time in the season when we better darn well start looking cohesive. 

8 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

I bet you he didnt even think the thought because he dont even have the brains for it. One hundred percent!

It was painful to see Hall not getting a shot against his former team, wtf cupcake?

It's not a big deal lol... just expected Hall, albeit for a pretty arbitrary reasons, getting a chance in the SO.  

3 minutes ago, Shmuffalo said:

I don't know how it's done without significant salary retention, not to mention his NMC.  However, based on his usage, and little sign its changing... I dont think he'd be too upset waiving it.

As ever, we've gotta put our other-GM flight helmets on...  the Sabres are going to really have to sweeten the offer for us-as-other-GMs to take 7 more years of Skinner at $9M. Maybe an emergency compliance buyout is put in place, or in 2 years the cap skyrockets, but for now, he'll be with us, like The Concept Of... always.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.