GDT: 1/30/21 1pm ET, NJ Devils at Buffalo, MSG & WGR

jsb

image.png.15f97dba8eb3b37f53e7c0dfc37f97c9.png      VS.    image.png.577f998ff412fff1a3526b9ddf8ff79a.png

The Buffalo Sabres play their 3rd game of this 4 game home stand against the New Jersey Devils coached by Lindy Ruff. The Devils will be without their starting GK Mackenzie Blackwood, Center Nico Hischier and Center Travis Zajac for this weekend's back to back games. Even though they have lost 3 of their last 4 games with Scott Wedgewood as their GK, they did out shoot the Flyers by a 34 to 17 margin and you just know that Coach Ruff would like nothing better than to sweep this series. Will or can the Sabres rebound after their awful last game against the Rangers, will Sam Reinhart play, will the 1st line have a bounce back game and score some goals at 5v5, will the giraffe man TT get back in the starting lineup?? Only HCRK knows for sure. 4th place is in the Sabres sights with a couple of victories so yes the games have meaning even though it's still early in the season. Can the Sabres win and shine a light on this season??

One thing that is special is former Sabres coach Lindy Ruff will be coaching his 1500th game here in Buffalo unfortunately with no fans in the stands. He was drafted with the 32nd pick of the 2nd round by the Sabres in 1979 and was later traded in 1989 for a draft pick which became Richard Smehlik and later became their 15th head coach in 1997 and in the 2005-06 season won the Jack Adams Award for Coach of the Year. During the season in Feb. 2013 he was relieved of his duties with the Sabres.

DEVILS at SABRES

This is the first of eight meetings between the Sabres and Devils this season.

Last meeting: Buffalo defeated New Jersey 7-1 in Buffalo on Dec. 2, 2019

Next meeting: Saturday, Jan. 31 in Buffalo

The Sabres are 4-6-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Devils; 4-5-1 at home.

This is the 160th game all-time between Buffalo and New Jersey; Buffalo has a 78-55-26 series record.

The Sabres are 43-27-11 at home against the Devils all-time.

THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY

The Sabres are 10-7-3 all-time on January 30.

January 30, 2007: Daniel Briere scores his second of two hat tricks as a member of the Sabres as the Sabres defeat the Bruins 7-1 in Buffalo.

January 30, 2008: Ryan Miller stops all 32 Florida shots and Thomas Vanek scores the lone Buffalo goal as the Sabres defeat the Panthers 1-0 in Florida.

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW

The Sabres won both meetings with the Devils last season. They scored seven goals in each game, both of which took place in Buffalo.

The home team has won the last five meetings between these teams. Since the Devils’ last win at KeyBank Center on Jan. 30, 2018, the Sabres have won three straight games at home against New Jersey, outscoring them 19-4 in those contests.

A victory today would give the Sabres wins in three consecutive matchups with the Devils for the first time since Oct. 23, 2010 to March 26, 2011.

Entering play Friday, only Edmonton’s Ethan Bear and Darnell Nurse (8 GF) have been on the ice for more 5-on-5 goals as a pair than Jake McCabe and Rasmus Ristolainen’s seven goals. I bolded that especially for @Brawndo

Both these games against the Devils will be played at 1pm so get ready for not only 2 matinee games but afternoon delights!!!

LETS GO BUFFALO

Some information was gathered from the website https://sabresdigitalpressbox.com for those who may want to read more from this site.

Edited by jsb
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't understand how Pacific time people live.

Central is still the best. Games start at noon like an old-time movie standoff (or... just like High Noon). And a late game takes you just to bedtime. 

It definitely took some getting used to...  but now I kind of like it. All the main sports are over and there's still time in the day to unwind. Local news after the game except on the West coast....   And as I'm more an early bird anyway, the morning games are a fun twist and there's still a whole day left afterward to enjoy.

3 minutes ago, jsb said:

May the Force be with us

The Concept of... and The Ehrhoff will be with us. Always.

3 hours ago, jsb said:

Can the Sabres win and shine a light on this season??

One thing that is special is former Sabres coach Lindy Ruff will be coaching his 1500th game here in Buffalo unfortunately with no fans in the stands. He was drafted with the 32nd pick of the 2nd round by the Sabres in 1979 and was later traded in 1989 for a draft pick which became Richard Smehlik and later became their 15th head coach in 1997 and in the 2005-06 season won the Jack Adams Award for Coach of the Year. During the season in Feb. 2013 he was relieved of his duties with the Sabres.

LETS GO BUFFALO

Some information was gathered from the website https://sabresdigitalpressbox.com for those who may want to read more from this site.

Excellent work as always JSB and special props for the inclusion of a great and lesser-known Rolling Stones song.

Separately, I would love for both the Sabres and the Devils to shock the world and make the playoffs.  Lindy is one of my all-time favorite Sabres.  It's more clear than ever that it should've been Darcy that was canned that dark day in 2013 and not Lindy.

I am going to predict that Skinner will score a goal this game. I will also continue to predict that he will score a goal in a game until he does. Once he breaks the no goal barrier I will stop predicting that he will score a goal but will graciously take credit for the goal when he does finally light the lamp. 🤡

Edited by JohnC
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

I don't understand how Pacific time people live.

I lived on the left coast for a few years.  It's just a different routine.  All the stuff you stay up late for is over by 9 pm out there.  I was actually shocked at how early bars closed in L.A. compared with Buffalo. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.