Ted Nolan Interview called The Unwanted Visitor with TSN debuts on Friday

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Ted Nolan Interview called The Unwanted Visitor with TSN debuts on Friday
46 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You mean in the today's NHL?

yeah, i reckon that's right. he won the jack adams, so ... that is something, obviously. i think that success was partly a function of lightning in a bottle, partly a function of a different era of hockey.

but he seems solid in the leadership and mentoring categories. the fact that he goes wanting for a gig is very strange.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

yeah, i reckon that's right. he won the jack adams, so ... that is something, obviously. i think that success was partly a function of lightning in a bottle, partly a function of a different era of hockey.

but he seems solid in the leadership and mentoring categories. the fact that he goes wanting for a gig is very strange.

He's about 75th in games coached all-time in the NHL and 225th in winning percentage.

He's had three shots at being an NHL head coach. His record is 187/227/57.

He missed the playoffs 4 out of 6 years and has only won one playoff series ever.

His NHL coaching record is similar to Jeff Blashill, Mike Milbury and whole lot of names you've probably forgotten.

I like Ted, but in the context of his resume, the fact that he is not coaching in the NHL isn't that that strange at all.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I like Ted, but in the context of his resume, the fact that he is not coaching in the NHL isn't that that strange at all.

I'm not saying that's strange. Quite the contrary. I infer that he can't get coaching work, like, anywhere. And that he's gone looking for it. That seems weird.

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm not saying that's strange. Quite the contrary. I infer that he can't get coaching work, like, anywhere. And that he's gone looking for it. That seems weird.

That is interesting. Wonder how picky, or how pricey he's been.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

A small part of it, when he discusses The 2014-15 Season with the Sabres 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKjZf_OgXuD/?igshid=1uvb7ve3432ou

Raw AF.  I look forward to it.

There could be insight into why Lafontaine departed, although the writing on the wall from the timing of his departure is that he either was given zero power after Tim Murray's hiring or he wanted nothing to do with tanking (he resigned the day after Steve Ott and Ryan Miller were traded) or both.  This never gets talked about, likely due to the NDAs.

And it looks like there will definitely be insight into the off-ice racism that many suspected but went largely untold.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

In the past, he's turned offers down.  Don't know whether he's done that recently, but that can limit the offers he might recieve.

Another item that might hurt him is he is not an X's & O's type coach, but rather a motivator.  So, it isn't likely he'd get many offers to be an assistant; with him it's likely he either gets an offer to be a top dog or he doesn't get an offer.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

He's about 75th in games coached all-time in the NHL and 225th in winning percentage.

He's had three shots at being an NHL head coach. His record is 187/227/57.

He missed the playoffs 4 out of 6 years and has only won one playoff series ever.

His NHL coaching record is similar to Jeff Blashill, Mike Milbury and whole lot of names you've probably forgotten.

Where is he on that list if you remove the 2 seasons he was forced to lose?

I think Ted could have gotten back into the league if he'd checked his ego a little and accepted an assistant coach job somewhere but if I remember correctly he was not keen on what he viewed at the time as a step backwards. I think he could still be a really good member of a coaching staff. That player friendly guy who bonds with and talks to guys who struggle. The bridge between the head guy and the players. As a head coach though he was a little headstrong and deserved or not, got the reputation of being hard to work with in not getting along with GMs.   and a little too old school of course. 

On 1/27/2021 at 11:39 AM, That Aud Smell said:

And Dominik Hasek

Edited by klos1963
  • Like (+1) 1

So, I didn’t watch this, but are we seriously heart aching that Ted Nolan can’t get an NHL job?  He has gotten 3 NHL head coaching jobs and reportedly turned down a couple others.  Also he has a reputation for being somewhat difficult to work with.

How many NHL jobs are enough?  Not everyone can get one.  It’s hard to get them.  I just don’t buy it.

Edited by Curt

3 hours ago, Curt said:

So, I didn’t watch this, but are we seriously heart aching that Ted Nolan can’t get an NHL job?  He has gotten 3 NHL head coaching jobs and reportedly turned down a couple others.  Also he has a reputation for being somewhat difficult to work with.

How many NHL jobs are enough?  Not everyone can get one.  It’s hard to get them.  I just don’t buy it.

Watch it first 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.