Roster Moves January 25th

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Safe bet on Hutton.

Interesting that Asplund got bumped from the taxi squad.  Thought he was ok in that 1 game he got into.  Guess Mittelstadt has passed him in the D-zone as well.

Honestly, If Casey is going to ride the pine most nights, I'd rather him go back to the AHL and play big minutes in every situation.  Playing 8 minutes a night 5 on 5 is a waste IMHO. 

Glad for Hutton that his injury wasn't more serious but I still want an upgrade.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Honestly, If Casey is going to ride the pine most nights, I'd rather him go back to the AHL and play big minutes in every situation.  Playing 8 minutes a night 5 on 5 is a waste IMHO. 

Glad for Hutton that his injury wasn't more serious but I still want an upgrade.

Agree on both counts.

But expect he can earn additional ice time.  In the 3rd, pressing to try to win, 7 F's got regular shifts and the 3rd & 4th C's & RW's were splitting time w/ Skinner as the 3rd line when the bench was shortened.  

Amerks continuing camp in Buffalo for the next two weeks until Amerks season starts, or have they moved to Roch?

And guys currently on the Sabres roster like Casey and the taxi squad roster like Quinn are free to practice with the Amerks or the Sabres at any time, right?

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Amerks continuing camp in Buffalo for the next two weeks until Amerks season starts, or have they moved to Roch?

And guys currently on the Sabres roster like Casey and the taxi squad roster like Quinn are free to practice with the Amerks or the Sabres at any time, right?

They are in Rochester at Blue Cross Arena for Training Camp 

Since both the Amerks and Sabres are in the NYS and are less then four hours apart by car players can move between the AHL and NHL with ease I believe 

I am expecting Cozens to rotate back in, which would push Casey out, but I wonder if Casey has pushed past Tage as the next man up?

Curious that it was Asplund dropped from the taxi squad rather than Tokarski if Hutton is coming back.

I wonder if there is any chance that Quinn gets a game. I suspect no as long as Thompson, Mitts and Cozens are sharing one slot. (Which may be why Asplund was dropped)

I think we were expecting (hoping?) Lazar, Sheahan and Rieder would be in and out. I don’t know if any of them deserve to be sat at this point, but it will be coming. (Which is, I guess, exactly the kind of competition Adams and Krueger were hoping to develop).

Edited by dudacek

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I am expecting Cozens to rotate back in, which would push Casey out, but I wonder if Casey has pushed past Tage as the next man up?

Curious that it was Asplund dropped from the taxi squad rather than Tokarski if Hutton is coming back.

I wonder if there is any chance that Quinn gets a game. I suspect no as long as Thompson, Mitts and Cozens are sharing one slot. (Which may be why Asplund was dropped)

I think we were expecting (hoping?) Lazar, Sheahan and Rieder would be in and out, but I don’t know if any of them deserve to be sat at this point, but it will be coming. (Which is, I guess, exactly the kind of competition Adams and Krueger were hoping to develop).

Tokarski was as well

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think we were expecting (hoping?) Lazar, Sheahan and Rieder would be in and out, but I don’t know if any of them deserve to be sat at this point, but it will be coming. (Which is, I guess, exactly the kind of competition Adams and Krueger were hoping to develop).

If we continue not to score 5 on 5, I would hope that at least one of the 4th line guys hits the pine.  I'm looking at you Rieder and Eakin.

18 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If we continue not to score 5 on 5, I would hope that at least one of the 4th line guys hits the pine.  I'm looking at you Rieder and Eakin.

I’d probably rank Eakin at the bottom of the four new Larry’s so far.

But any ES scoring issues the Sabres have are Skinner, Eichel, Hall, Olofsson, Staal, Reinhart combining for 3, not Lazar, Reider, Sheahan, Eakin and Cozens combining for 5.

Also, I think you are overstating our ES scoring issues. Right now, we are 15th, dead on average.

• Like (+1) 3

Amerks Afterthought.

According to their website, the Amerks have 10 forwards (I count 12-13), 4 defensemen (I count 5 actually), and 3 goalies.  That does not make a complete AHL

team, especially not on defence.  AHL teams don't have roster limits like NHL teams. And they have to rotate in "Veterans".

Maybe Kim and Terry forgot to tell GMKA that he had that role too since they fired Steve Greeley? 

They have less than 1.5 weeks until faceoff.

Here's what I actually see as the Amerks right now (key: &= AHL only, *= rookie)

CJ Smith    A. Ruotsalainen*      S. Fogarty

B. Murray    R. Asplund             M. Pekar*

B. Biro*       D. PiPietro*            J. Quinn* (Currently on Taxi Squad)

D. Smith&   JS. Dea                   A. Oglevie

D. Franco&

M. Samuelsson*     C. Fitzgerald

R. Jones &               O. Laaksonen*

D. Blujus &  (buffalo born)

UPL * ,  Tokarski ,  Houser &

Edited by etiennep99
Had Ullmark instead of UPL (brain fart), and one too many rasmi
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

Amerks Afterthought.

According to their website, the Amerks have 10 forwards (I count 12-13), 4 defensemen (I count 5 actually), and 3 goalies.  That does not make a complete AHL

team, especially not on defence.  AHL teams don't have roster limits like NHL teams. And they have to rotate in "Veterans".

Maybe Kim and Terry forgot to tell GMKA that he had that role too since they fired Steve Greeley? 

Here's what I actually see as the Amerks right now (key: &= AHL only, *= rookie)

CJ Smith    R. Ruotsalainen*      S. Fogarty

D. Franco&

Ullmark * ,  Tokarski ,  Houser &

Ullmark?  🤨

46 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

Amerks Afterthought.

D. Franco&

Randy Sexton was the AHL GM, not Greeley.

1 hour ago, etiennep99 said:

Amerks Afterthought.

D. Franco&

In addition, shouldn’t the AHL teams also have a taxi squad?   I’m assuming they won’t just be able to sign and dress guys on a days notice.   Wouldn’t they have to be tested and quarantined prior to playing?

28 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I suspect Bryson and Borgen will be sent down.   I also wonder if the non playing AHL teams will loan out a player or two, although it probably would have happened already.

Yes, Bryson is already down and Davidson will also play games for the Amerks. Casey and Cozens might as well.

Ralph made it pretty clear there will be a lot of movement between the three rosters, so they will be drawing from 15 forwards and 7 defencemen. AHL dresses 17 skaters, rather than 18 still?

There will be times when injuries and travel could leave them short, or with players out of position.

That said, the AHL will be a glorified practice league this year anyway.

17 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I guess Asplund isn’t ahead of Mitts in the pecking order.

Or they know what they have in Asplund and they don't need that role on the team whereas Mittelstadt it still slightly unknown and/or they want to evaluate him more in Buffalo rather than Rochester, and/or some team is interested in him as part of a trade...

Mittelstadt and Asplund are not the same kinds of players, so you would expect it's not really a pecking order.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Especially with the first line although it is not scoring they are getting plenty of chances. So I'm not worrying about our top line. I think you are too fixated on the lower lines. Where you and I do intersect is that the both of us want to see Skinner moved up to the second and sometimes even the first line for a change of pace to get him going. How he has dealt with him has been exasperating. On the Skinner issue the coach has been very stubborn. I wish he would be more flexible in the way he has handled him.  

On 1/25/2021 at 5:29 PM, Brawndo said:

They are in Rochester at Blue Cross Arena for Training Camp 

Since both the Amerks and Sabres are in the NYS and are less then four hours apart by car players can move between the AHL and NHL with ease I believe 

As apposed to flying anywhere on the east coast in an hour and a half?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.