GDT: 1/24/21 3pm ET, Buffalo at Washington, MSG & ESPN 1520

jsb

22 minutes ago, inkman said:

I care less about the fact they did it and more about the optics.  This fanbase is clinging to any bit of hope.  Kid with a super bright future looks good and scores his first goal, go the press box young man.  

ugh.  

There we go.  You had the words.

12 minutes ago, tom webster said:

It’s just a rest day. They had it planned all along that they would sit certain guys. He’s played a lot of hockey and needed a break. No big deal.

They only put him on taxi squad so they didn’t burn last day of free tryout with him sitting out.

So they are a slave to the plan? In their infinite wisdom they can't comprehend a scenario where their all-knowing, indisputably perfect plan might need a slight adjustment? 

In light of Dahlin struggling with confidence, you think they'd take extra care to not risk cutting Dylan's off ar the knees here by choice after he scored his first goal, looking great doing it. 

I don't care *how* they explained it to him, this was a chance for him to get on a roll. 

It is very rare in Buffalo sports situations like this one for the Buffalo teams to deliver 2 wins.  Like Haley’s comet rare.

And yet there is hope.  I believe in McD, I believe in Diggs, I believe in Jerry Hughes, I believe in Rasmus Ristolainen, I believe in the Hall-Eichel-Skinner line, I kinda believe in Kruger and I absolutely believe that if a franchise keeps trying good things will happen and that the Sabres are trying.

2 and 0 today.

Let’s go, Buffalo.  

• Like (+1) 4

We've harped on this team for years about rushing prospects and not giving them a proper development plan.  Now they're taking their time and we're giving them ***** for that.

It stings a little to see Cozens out of the lineup, especially after his first NHL goal, but I'll trust that the people they pay for player development know better than I do.  And I'd bet that these rest days are planned in advance, so there shouldn't be hindrance to Cozens' confidence here.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

So they are a slave to the plan? In their infinite wisdom they can't comprehend a scenario where their all-knowing, indisputably perfect plan might need a slight adjustment? 

In light of Dahlin struggling with confidence, you think they'd take extra care to not risk cutting Dylan's off ar the knees here by choice after he scored his first goal, looking great doing it. 

I don't care *how* they explained it to him, this was a chance for him to get on a roll. 

If they set out a plan for Cozens that they feel is best for him, should they change it because he has been doing pretty well and scored a goal?  Did that one goal change things?

Seems to me that if one would be ok with this if he hadn’t scored a goal, that one should be ok with it now even though he did.

Just now, Curt said:

If they set out a plan for Cozens that they feel is best for him, should they change it because he has been doing pretty well and scored a goal?  Did that one goal change things?

Seems to me that if one would be ok with this if he hadn’t scored a goal, that one should be ok with it now even though he did.

Good for One, I guess. 

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Good for One, I guess. 

Sorry.  Maybe this is more to your liking?

Seems to me that if you would be ok with this if he hadn’t scored a goal, that you should be ok with it now even though he did.

If he hadn’t scored a goal, would you be complaining about this @Thorny?

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

Ralph is out of touch. Throwing the rook out on the shootout when we absolutely needed the win was odd as well. 

I suspect the plan was to rest him this game all along, but this raises a very good point.
Would they have sat him if he had won the game in the shootout?

I'm assuming Kyle goes in for Cozens. Should,we also assume Casey gets his first action in place of Tage?

Edited by dudacek

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

Sorry.  Maybe this is more to your liking?

Seems to me that if you would be ok with this if he hadn’t scored a goal, that you should be ok with it now even though he did.

If he hadn’t scored a goal, would you be complaining about this @Thorny?

No, I'd be posting about it.

People are going to use whatever narratives they want. It's "Skinner just needs one goal and the floodgates will open" yet when I post that 1 Cozens goal could be a launch pad for him that I'd like to capitalize on immediately, it's not only no longer applicable logic, it's "complaining". 

2 hours ago, Derrico said:

Can I just point out how dumb it is the game is being played during the NFC championship.  Of all the days times to choose.

Only the nhl, who needs the tv revenue would schedule multiple games during afc and nfc championship games.  Only the nhl that always does this kind of thing.  

Die hard sabres fan but I won’t be watching today.  Go Bills and Go Sabres!

Had to be 3pm start.  NHL on NBC has exclusive window between 12:30 and 3 for Detroit and Chicago.

Bottom line is the Sabres need to win today in regulation.  Period.  I don’t care about anything else except two points.

Put me in a good mood before the Bills game.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I wouldn’t necessarily disagree with this but I get their side as well.

Its funny how things evolve. In 1998 I was such a vocal critic of the Sabres at the beginning of Darcy’s tenure that he arranged to meet me at a game, ask me why I believed what I believed and then spent a good chunk of his time explaining his vision. Now I feel like I’m the guy pushing back against all the instant doubt and criticism. Hopefully I have as good a laugh and satisfaction as Darcy and Lindy had those first two years of their stay.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

It's not uncommon for players Cozens's age to get physically burned out by the NHL schedule. Seeing how this schedule is even more intense than a normal NHL season, it makes sense. Those who read other things into it are just ignoring this fact.

25 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Cozens is playing well. He was obviously gassed during the training camp coming straight from world juniors. Glad we have the taxi squad to give him a quick break so we don’t ruin the horse so quickly 

23 minutes ago, Curt said:

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I suspect the plan was to rest him this game all along, but this raises a very good point.
Would they have sat him in they had won the game in the shootout?

I'm assuming Kyle goes in for Cozens. Should,we also assume Casey gets his first action in place of Tage?

Why not sit him last game and this game?  If rest is really the crux of the matter. Give him a solid week off.   THAT would have made sense.   This just feels like fly by night seat of my pants management.  I understand easing him into the schedule and letting him get his legs under him but does this look any thing like that?  

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

People are going to use whatever narratives they want. It's "Skinner just needs one goal and the floodgates will open" yet when I post that 1 Cozens goal could be a launch pad for him that I'd like to capitalize on immediately, it's not only no longer applicable logic, it's "complaining". 

I guess I just can’t find the right words to engage with you.  (one, complain). *shrug*

I didn’t say that the idea of Cozens getting on a role was illogical or anything.  It’s a viewpoint that I can understand.

I just wanted to present my viewpoint that if they had a plan laid out that they thought was best for him, they should stick to that instead of changing it because he scored a goal.

And, if I’m understanding you correctly, by saying that you would still have an issue with Cozens having today off even if he hadn’t scored a goal, you are saying that you disagree with the idea of giving him the day off on principle, and it’s not really about the fact he scored last game.  Correct me if I’m wrong.

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Why not sit him last game and this game?  If rest is really the crux of the matter. Give him a solid week off.   THAT would have made sense.   This just feels like fly by night seat of my pants management.  I understand easing him into the schedule and letting him get his legs under him but does this look any thing like that?  

Why two games instead of one?

I’m going to assume that it was scheduled ahead of time.  Ralph has already said that they would be rotating in/out some guys in the bottom 6 for rest, didn’t he?  I don’t know why they would just sit random players unless it was planned.  It doesn’t look like a benching for poor play.  

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

Why two games instead of one?

I’m going to assume that it was scheduled ahead of time.  Ralph has already said that they would be rotating in/out some guys in the bottom 6 for rest, didn’t he?  I don’t know why they would just sit random players unless it was planned.  It doesn’t look like a benching for poor play.  

It was absolutely scheduled.  Ralph said exactly that.  I just don’t think they were very cerebral with the process.  Probably just shoot a dart at the schedule and that’s the games dylan gets off.  Had they done it after the last Philly game, the fanbase could see a method to the madness. Giving it to him in the middle of a series seems weird to me. 

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

It was absolutely scheduled.  Ralph said exactly that.  I just don’t think they were very cerebral with the process.  Probably just shoot a dart at the schedule and that’s the games dylan gets off.  Had they done it after the last Philly game, the fanbase could see a method to the madness. Giving it to him in the middle of a series seems weird to me. 

To you it makes sense to give two games off against Washington on Friday and Sunday, but doesn’t make sense to give him just the Sunday game off?

Why do you think he needs two games off instead of one?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.