GDT: 1/24/21 3pm ET, Buffalo at Washington, MSG & ESPN 1520

jsb

Just now, SDS said:

1.  Regarding the last game, as with today, I don’t get how a couple 1v0 plays at the end of the game changes how people think about the previous 65 minutes.

2. I’m normally not the negative one, but I thought the Sabres look like garbage out there. Unforced turnovers on a slew of passes, passes deflecting off of sticks everywhere, they really look like they had little skill compared to the caps.

We sure looked like SH1T first 1 and half until Ralph just realised he is a coach and that he can do whatever he wants with the lineups, voila we got back  into the game.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Rasmus bounces back with nearly 23 minutes, 6 shots, 2 blocks and easily his most impressive performance of the year.

He needs to play with authority and today he did.

When Krueger wants to make a point he doesn't shout. He emphatically makes his point by sitting your sluggish arse on the bench.

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

1.  Regarding the last game, as with today, I don’t get how a couple 1v0 plays at the end of the game changes how people think about the previous 65 minutes.

2. I’m normally not the negative one, but I thought the Sabres look like garbage out there. Unforced turnovers on a slew of passes, passes deflecting off of sticks everywhere, they really look like they had little skill compared to the caps.

I thought the Sabres were better Friday than today. Both games were tense nail-biters that forced both teams to fight. 
Neither was pretty, both were tense and entertaining and hard-fought. 
(I’m not sure what skill you saw from the Caps, today.)

13 minutes ago, SDS said:

5x5 play had been worrisome.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

When you consider the Habs have what, I think 17 goals at 5 on 5.😳

Bun, they played the Canucks 3 straight. Ya know, the team with the league’s worst goals against. The way they’re playing right now, is fancy the Sabres scoring too!

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Bun, they played the Canucks 3 straight. Ya know, the team with the league’s worst goals against. The way they’re playing right now, is fancy the Sabres scoring too!

Chicken and the egg?

Couple of thoughts on this game.  

1)  Changes to the PP worked.  aka more shots, more screen, more going to the net and more East-West passing.  I'm shocked.  Not really, I've been asking for that for 5 games.

2) The PK remains terrible.  New players, same goalies, same results.  Yes Ullmark was screened on the 1st PP goal, but no excuse for the 2nd.  Still the forwards and D aren't doing a good job.

3) 5 on 5 scoring remains invisible

4) Maybe Jack's shoot out goal will get him going.

• Like (+1) 1

The PK went into today at 83 per cent, having allowed just one goal all year. Had Ullmark not let a goal from behind the net tonight, they would be at 78 per cent right now, 15th overall. 

Right now Buffalo is 3rd best in shots for

6th best in shots against

7th in FO per centage

10th in PP

16th in GF

14th in GA

Terrible. Absolutely terrible. 

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Two points out of a playoff spot?

With only 50 games left?

With going 1-3-1 the 1st 5, they fell 3 points off a playoff pace.  Today was a good start towards the 4-0-1 they need to go this 5 game set to get back on pace.  Sweep the Rags at home & it's just 1-0-1 to get back to a playoff pace and even missing it by going 1-1-0 or even 0-1-1 & then they only have to make up an extra game and that's doable.

Hopefully the shootout connection gets Eichel back into the groove.

Bring on the Rags.  Who knew there were teams in the division that weren't a short train ride from Delaware? 😉

• Like (+1) 2

Two points.  Not in regulation like I requested, but I’ll let it slide.

Thanks for slightly taking the edge off the nightcap on the sports weekend.

Two more on Tuesday please.  Buffalo sports fans will need winning hockey therapy more than ever for the next little while.

• Like (+1) 1

The opening six against what I think are the cream of the division. Now we get to play 4 against the teams we should be better than (NYR and NJD). Then 4 against the teams we’ll have to go above and beyond to beat if we’re going to make progress (NYI and BOS). But these next four are a set we need to get 6+ points in. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I didn't get a chance to watch. How did Mittelstadt look? 

With consistent ice, does he have any potential as an upgrade over any of our mediocre journeymen vets with long histories of low production (i.e. Reider, Sheahan, Lazar)?

Leaner.

Seriously. His face sitting on the bench is the thing I noticed most.

He didn’t do much to affect the game positively or negatively IMO, but he did show a few bursts of energy and got an easy assist.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.