GDT: 1/24/21 3pm ET, Buffalo at Washington, MSG & ESPN 1520

jsb

image.png.40cf7bfe1855898e18fc24867a191c60.png    VS  image.png.3021c37ce97a58811c061c1b3e796c60.png

Game #2 at Washington this afternoon after a very disappointing loss on Friday night. Is this a must win, it is if they have any pride whatsoever losing to a very shorthanded Capitals team. Is there any hope, of course, Dahlin can't play any worse in the Dzone, Eichel and Skinner won't have a 00.00% shooting percentage for the year and St. Louis won the Cup after a horrendous start and the Dallas Stars did go to the Finals last year after a horrendous start last year. So yes there's hope but after the past few years of no playoffs, there really isn't much left especially if they can't muster up a win tonight. Oh whoa is me, when will the heartache end for this team?? To leave on a positive note, has Risto played any better than he has so far this season, we just have to win this afternoon. Am I the only one also who thought what was RK thinking when he put Cozens in the 3rd spot in the shootout, was that just a bit too much pressure on a kid in a what for me was a must win situation??

THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY

The Sabres are 11-8-0 all-time on January 24.

January 24, 1978: The Sabres host the NHL All-Star game at Buffalo Memorial Auditorium. Sabres forward Rick Martin scores to tie the game late in the third period and Gilbert Perreault scores the game-winning goal in overtime.

January 24, 1981: Twelve Sabres get on the scoresheet, led by Danny Gare’s two-goal night, as the Sabres defeat the Capitals 7-4 in Washington.

January 24, 2017: Jack Eichel beats Juuse Saros in overtime to earn a 5-4 win at Nashville, giving the Sabres three straight overtime wins.

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW

Today’s game will be broadcast on ESPN 1520 in Buffalo due to Buffalo Bills coverage on WGR 550.

If he plays, today will be Linus Ullmark’s 100th NHL game. He would become the 15th goaltender to appear in at least 100 regular-season games for the Sabres. With a win, he would tie Robin Lehner for the 12th-most wins in franchise history (42).

Eric Staal, Dylan Cozens and Riley Sheahan all scored their first goals as Sabres on Friday at Washington. They were the second trio of Sabres ever to score their first goals for the team in the same game, joining Dave Andreychuk, Paul Cyr and Hannu Virta (Oct. 6, 1982 vs. Quebec).

ONE BUFFALO

The Sabres and the Buffalo Bills are playing on the same day for the only time this season after doing so six times last season. The Sabres were 4-2-0 in those six games.

The teams have previously played on the same date 244 times, with both teams winning their respective games on 61 of those days.

The Sabres are 131-77-36 all-time when playing on a Bills game day.

Of the 244 days on which both teams have played, 20 have been Bills playoff game days, including the AFC Championship games in 1992 and 1993. The Sabres are 11-8-1 on Bills playoff game days.

The last time the Sabres and Bills both won on the same date was Nov. 24, 2019.

LETS GO Buffalo Sabres & BILLS

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, LTS said:

Here goes nothing!

The Sabres winning or losing will be overshadowed by the Bills game today. 

But I'd rather feel even that much better with a double dub day.

Unless you couldn’t care less about the Bills or football. Then the Sabres are all one has. 
Let’s go Buffalo!

staying optimistic ....

Sabres 3

Caps 2

Eichel, Skinner or Joker with a goal

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Unless you couldn’t care less about the Bills or football. Then the Sabres are all one has. 
Let’s go Buffalo!

staying optimistic ....

Sabres 3

Caps 2

Eichel, Skinner or Joker with a goal

That used to be me... but those damn Bills are making me feel again.  I'm still nowhere near as close to being a football fan as I used to be however.

3 minutes ago, LTS said:

That used to be me... but those damn Bills are making me feel again.  I'm still nowhere near as close to being a football fan as I used to be however.

Same here.  I'm making the effort to watch, and I'm actually looking forward to it, but the emotional edge isn't quite what it used to be.

Can I just point out how dumb it is the game is being played during the NFC championship.  Of all the days times to choose.

Only the nhl, who needs the tv revenue would schedule multiple games during afc and nfc championship games.  Only the nhl that always does this kind of thing.  

Die hard sabres fan but I won’t be watching today.  Go Bills and Go Sabres!

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Same here.  I'm making the effort to watch, and I'm actually looking forward to it, but the emotional edge isn't quite what it used to be.

Found he older I get the less emotional I am. During games somewhat but before a nd after games not much .

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Can I just point out how dumb it is the game is being played during the NFC championship.  Of all the days times to choose.

Only the nhl, who needs the tv revenue would schedule multiple games during afc and nfc championship games.  Only the nhl that always does this kind of thing.  

D. V. R.  Watch both without commercials or halftime. 

59 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I'll be watching the Sabres.  I don't really care who wins the NFC game.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Claude Balls said:

Nice thread jsb, but who the ***** cares today??? The Sabres suck and the Bills are in the AFCCG!!! LFG!!!

I’ll be watching the Sabres.  Don’t know if I’ll watch any football at all.

Not everyone likes football and not every Sabres fan is from Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

I’m normally the first in line to bash Bettman and the NHL, but the NBA also has games scheduled for today and tonight.  

Super Bowl Sunday is a completely different story.  No one goes head to head with that event. 

...and for the record, I will be watching the NFC Championship Game, and flipping over to check the Sabres score during commercial breaks. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

5 minutes ago, Radar said:

I'll take Cozens, please.

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't have the words.  

I care less about the fact they did it and more about the optics.  This fanbase is clinging to any bit of hope.  Kid with a super bright future looks good and scores his first goal, go the press box young man.  

ugh.  

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 4

Just now, inkman said:

I care less about the fact they did it and more about the optics.  This fanbase is clinging to any but of hope.  Kid with a super bright future looks good and scores his first goal, go the press box young man.  

ugh.  

Ralph is out of touch. Throwing the rook out on the shootout when we absolutely needed the win was odd as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

THIS IS A MUST WIN...FOR THE BILLS.

I can't believe how little I care about this Sabres team so far this year. Don't quite understand why Cozens is being sat after putting in his first, RK must not believe in momentum.

Right now the only keeping me going is that the last few seasons the Sabres have started out strong only to crush our hopes later in the season. I'm telling myself that this year were starting slow and will reverse that trend. Hopefully that starts soon.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.