Post Your Favorite Piece of Sabres (or Hockey) Memorabilia

GASabresIUFAN

I posted in another thread about the time I had dinner with Dino Ciccarelli and friends at Chef's

But this may be my favorite piece of hockey memorabilia.  My family’s tickets at the Aud were next to the players wives.  The guys when injured or scratched would sit there as well.  Over time one of our favorite broadcasters and former players befriended me when he was still playing and I learned a great deal about the game from him.   Still one of my all-time favorite Sabres and that is Mike Robitaille.

CCI_000002 (2).jpg

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

• GASabresIUFAN changed the title to Post Your Favorite Piece of Sabres (or Hockey) Memorabilia

I have a puck signed by Gil Perreault (the biggest star when I was young) and a game puck that came off of Eichel's stick that a fellow Sabres fan gave to my daughter (the biggest star of her youth) at a Sabres road game.  I also have a conference champions hat from '99.  Good thread, as I hadn't thought of these items in a long time.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I have a hat somewhere signed by the French Connection but I wasn't there when they signed it.  I've got memories of standing next to Perreault at Mass, talking with Don Luce (once as a child and once as an adult), telling Max and Teppo at dinner to make sure they won their next playoff game (and Max nodding at me), and telling Miller that we were going to miss him a couple of weeks before he was traded.  I actually sat next to Miller at dinner twice (we both liked eating at the bar at the same restaurant, it seems) but I didn't bug him while he was with other people.  For some reason it made sense to bug him in Walgreens at 3am, though. 

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I have a hat somewhere signed by the French Connection but I wasn't there when they signed it.  I've got memories of standing next to Perreault at Mass, talking with Don Luce (once as a child and once as an adult), telling Max and Teppo at dinner to make sure they won their next playoff game (and Max nodding at me), and telling Miller that we were going to miss him a couple of weeks before he was traded.  I actually sat next to Miller at dinner twice (we both liked eating at the bar at the same restaurant, it seems) but I didn't bug him while he was with other people.  For some reason it made sense to bug him in Walgreens at 3am, though. 

He seemed to like sitting at a bar by himself, just nursing his drink. I was at a fundraiser and there was this scrawny guy, knit hat pulled low, just standing at the bar while everyone else was milling around socializing. He left after about an hour and I bet me, the people I was with, the guy the fundraiser was for, the bartender and his teammates were the only people that knew he was there.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

I used to have a Polaroid of Don Luce that my dad took at a wedding reception they both attended.

I used to see and talk to Rob Ray every year at the sportman's show that used to be in the Buffalo Convention center.  Ray is/was an avid fisherman.  Jim Lorentz attended the same church my wife and I used to attend.  Saw him every Sunday.  Saw Larry Playfair quite frequently at a breakfast place on Niagara Falls Blvd when my wife was pregnant and we used to go out to breakfast after church. 

My wife's former boss was good friends with Scotty Bowman and used to see him at the office regularly.  She says he's an arrogant prick.

Had a bit of a start studded flight home from LA one year.  Last minute business trip.  First class seats.  Cindy Crawford was on the flight on the LA-Det leg.  Sat behind Grant Fuhr for the Det-Buf leg.

Alex Mogliny stopped into a liquor store that I worked to make a few bucks on the side.  Cheap vodka.  Go figure.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

In wish I had a pair of seats from the Aud.  I would bet any amount of money in some city warehouse sits hundreds of seats looking for a good home 

I think they were all auctioned off for charity.  And they went for a pretty penny.

9 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

In wish I had a pair of seats from the Aud.  I would bet any amount of money in some city warehouse sits hundreds of seats looking for a good home 

I had several...I listed them several times over the years on Craigslist....they all sold..but sometimes I had then listed for long times with no interest 

Found this in a file.  Great story behind how I got the autographs.  My Dad's law practice was in the Staler back in 1973.  My mom dropped me off at his office and he and I were heading to the game.  The Canadians were staying at the Hilton part of the Statler and 3 of their players missed the bus.  I forget how or who asked us if we were going to the game, but we ended up taking 3 Canadians to the game to play the Sabres that night.  The players and their grateful coach signed a piece of scrap player my Dad had on him.

Here is a photo of that paper.  Now all these years later, I now know why Scotty Bowman so grateful to have 1/3 of his D group make it to the game.  Serge Savard, Claude LaRose and Jacque Laperriere are the players and the coach of course was "Scott" Bowman. 

CCI_000004 (2).jpg

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Found this in a file.  Great story behind how I got the autographs.  My Dad's law practice was in the Staler back in 1973.  My mom dropped me off at his office and he and I were heading to the game.  The Canadians were staying at the Hilton part of the Statler and 3 of their players missed the bus.  I forget how or who asked us if we were going to the game, but we ended up taking 3 Canadians to the game to play the Sabres that night.  The players and their grateful coach signed a piece of scrap player my Dad had on him.

Here is a photo of that paper.  Now all these years later, I now know why Scotty Bowman so grateful to have 1/3 of his D group make it to the game.  Serge Savard, Claude LaRose and Jacque Laperriere are the players and the coach of course was "Scott" Bowman. 

CCI_000004 (2).jpg

You and your Dad should have taken those guyz on a long ride if ya know what I’m sayin.

16 hours ago, bunomatic said:

You and your Dad should have taken those guyz on a long ride if ya know what I’m sayin.

LOL - I was 7.  Didn't realize then that a short pier was necessary.  I was just to in awe that we had pro hockey players in our car.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.