Fixing the Sabres Long-Term - Can it be done?

GASabresIUFAN

16 hours ago, tom webster said:

The hockey actually does duck league wide. Some divisions aren’t playing defense. Some divisions can’t play offense. The Bruins have actually been worse 5 on 5 then Buffalo. 
The way people on this board, you included, talk, the Sabres are the worst team ever. Their record, in spite of not getting the expected play from Eichel, Hall, Skinner and Dahlin are right in the middle of it. 
I’m done with this endless conversation, I’ll be back in April when the playoff race is more obvious. 

Endless conversation? sure gonna stay that way until this org turn things around. 

First, Sabres are the worst team and have not reached playoffs in a DECADE. Come on, what do you expect tom?
Do you honestly believe ppl gonna keep taking sh1t for ever and just stay silent and hopeful? we're all humans, all different but we still share broken hearts to this god forsaken team - for good and bad.

As i said - bad teams also win games, beeing bad doesnt mean you dont have talant which we obviously do but if you honestly believe Ralph Kreuger can get that out of this team your wishful thoughts will most likely be crushed. You were probably very hopeful last year among many others (correct me if im wrong) that Ralph was The man, the myth, the legend. It proved to be completly wrong. All he is and was, is words and good for publicity. Understand me correctly, there is nothing wrong in beeing hopeful at all, thank god for those who are but when looking at how he coaches this team i for sure see that it is not working as intended, it really doesnt. 

When i look into players eyes, how they behave on the ice, how they react in interviews, how they play the game - to me that looks bad, real bad. Maybe thats me sounding drastic and overreacting but it sure as hell doesnt feel that way when thinking about it for real.

This team can only turn this around with a real coach that lives, breathes and would die for hockey - a coach that can make the players believe in his way or system so much that just know it's his way or no way no matter how drastic that sounds, until than this org will never succeed just because this thing with Sabres and disaster is to deep. Every player that joins Sabres know the history of losing and losing and losing, over and over and over - obviously it gonna affect the way you believe things will pan out, this is where a good coach can make the difference this team and org needs, just go look @ bills i guess? eventhough i dont know much about bills at all and might even be a bad comparison but that is what ive learned from reading posts here atleast.

If we meet in April (doesnt feel like it now cause of covid situation) but if we do meet in these threads and us beeing in the playoffs then praise the lord my friend. 

6 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

...and then Hortons lost their love for good quality products and customer service.  🙂

Most people probably already know this, but it all started to go downhill fast after it was sold to Burger King which is really all a Brazilian company. I think that was about 6 years ago. First thing that was noticed was the number of winners in 'Roll Up The Rim" suddenly plummeted, then the service, then the products themselves. Just the worst now. 

So like a lot of bad things, it all boils down to ownership 🙂

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

10 games in and we have 2 regulation wins. Not looking promising.  

This is the sort of stretch post-Drury/Briere that started the flawed core debates.  It rather interesting that this sort of stretch is being debated again.

I think I'm becoming exhausted by the "regulation wins" and the "Deluca .500" and the "underlying stats" discussions.

I'm not dismissing their worth and I am certainly guilty of indulging in them myself. But all I really want to care about is goals for, goals against, exciting plays, and where we stand in the playoff race. That's actually what matters.

I want to be happy when we pull out a 4-3 win or that Victor Olofsson is putting up a point-a-game, or that Risto destroyed some guy who ran at him in the corner, or that we moved ahead of the Devils in the playoff race.

I don't know if these things make this place happy. It feels like they don't.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think I'm becoming exhausted by the "regulation wins" and the "Deluca .500" and the "underlying stats" discussions.

I'm not dismissing their worth and I am certainly guilty of indulging in them myself. But all I really want to care about is goals for, goals against, exciting plays, and where we stand in the playoff race. That's actually what matters.

I want to be happy when we pull out a 4-3 win or that Victor Olofsson is putting up a point-a-game, or that Risto destroyed some guy who ran at him in the corner.

I'd like to see us dominate a team, and go into more than 10 games a season feeling confident we should and will win. I haven't felt like that since 2009

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I want to be happy when we pull out a 4-3 win or that Victor Olofsson is putting up a point-a-game, or that Risto destroyed some guy who ran at him in the corner, or that we moved ahead of the Devils in the playoff race.

I feel this is the case with a lot of the additional, debatable information that is thrown at people day to day.  Pining for simpler times perhaps.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Just the fact we're even discussing regulation wins and deluca .500 is a tell tale sign that they stink.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I like all those things. I'd also like the team to put some point distance between them and the 4 position in the upward fashion.

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Just wait until we add winning percentage into the mix when talking about the playoff race as Teams won’t complete their 56 game schedule 

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

I am 100% confident that if the Sabres grind out some wins and get to the point they are clearly in the playoff race, there will be plenty of excitement here.  The angst IMHO stems from the fact that they came out listless in 2 of their first 8 games AND that there are a number of significant indicators that this will be another lost year -- and 2 regulation wins out of 10 games with losses to bad teams and a solid dose of crappy goaltending are among those indicators (and reasonably so).

If they get to the 30-game mark and are plus or minus 2 points from #4 in their division, you'll see engagement, support and more than a little irrational exuberance.

If they are 12-18 at the 30-game mark and 9 points out of #4, there will blood in the air. 

==============================================================
BUF even strength goal differential through 10 games = -11
BUF even strength minutes played through 10 games = 516.75
TRpm(team relative +/-) is the diff btwn actual+/- and exp+/-
exp+/- is a function of %min played at ES and team ES goal diff
%min is % of ES minutes played
Team  Player                   TRpm    GP    +/-  exp+/-  %min
BUF Rasmus Ristolainen         6.02    10     2   -4.02   36.6
BUF Jake McCabe                5.56    10     2   -3.56   32.3
BUF Curtis Lazar               3.14    10     1   -2.14   19.4
BUF Riley Sheahan              3.09    10     1   -2.09   19.0
BUF Dylan Cozens               3.08     9     1   -2.08   18.9
BUF Jeff Skinner               2.53    10     0   -2.53   23.0
BUF Tobias Rieder              1.49    10    -1   -2.49   22.6
BUF Cody Eakin                 0.65    10    -2   -2.65   24.1
BUF Henri Jokiharju            0.40     7    -2   -2.40   21.9
BUF Kyle Okposo                0.25     5    -1   -1.25   11.4
BUF Matt Irwin                -0.04     3    -1   -0.96    8.7
BUF Tage Thompson             -0.71     5    -2   -1.29   11.7
BUF Eric Staal                -1.22    10    -4   -2.78   25.3
BUF Brandon Montour           -1.83    10    -6   -4.17   37.9
BUF Jack Eichel               -2.39    10    -6   -3.61   32.8
BUF Taylor Hall               -2.53    10    -6   -3.47   31.5
BUF Victor Olofsson           -3.05    10    -6   -2.95   26.8
BUF Colin Miller              -3.73    10    -7   -3.27   29.7
BUF Sam Reinhart              -4.18     8    -7   -2.82   25.7
BUF Rasmus Dahlin             -5.64    10    -9   -3.36   30.5

On 2/3/2021 at 3:36 AM, PerreaultForever said:

Most people probably already know this, but it all started to go downhill fast after it was sold to Burger King which is really all a Brazilian company. I think that was about 6 years ago. First thing that was noticed was the number of winners in 'Roll Up The Rim" suddenly plummeted, then the service, then the products themselves. Just the worst now. 

So like a lot of bad things, it all boils down to ownership 🙂

I never realized Tim Ho’s was ever good at all. 

The only good thing I’ve ever gotten from them was some Sabres Donut sign thats in my Sabres Cave. 

7 hours ago, Curt said:

I feel this is the case with a lot of the additional, debatable information that is thrown at people day to day.  Pining for simpler times perhaps.

I don't think it is the questionable information that is influencing the negative attitude toward the Sabres. I think what is contaminating the perspective of the fans is the extended disappointing and fatiguing history of the franchise. There is a lot of cynicism contaminating the discourse. For many the benefit of the doubt will no longer be extended. That is not a surprise; that is understandable.  

I am starting to feel the same sensation that @dudacek is feeling. I'm getting tapped out. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

BUF even strength goal differential through 10 games = -11
BUF even strength minutes played through 10 games = 516.75
TRpm(team relative +/-) is the diff btwn actual+/- and exp+/-
exp+/- is a function of %min played at ES and team ES goal diff
%min is % of ES minutes played
Team  Player                   TRpm    GP    +/-  exp+/-  %min
BUF Rasmus Ristolainen         6.02    10     2   -4.02   36.6
BUF Jake McCabe                5.56    10     2   -3.56   32.3
BUF Curtis Lazar               3.14    10     1   -2.14   19.4
BUF Riley Sheahan              3.09    10     1   -2.09   19.0
BUF Dylan Cozens               3.08     9     1   -2.08   18.9
BUF Jeff Skinner               2.53    10     0   -2.53   23.0
BUF Tobias Rieder              1.49    10    -1   -2.49   22.6
BUF Cody Eakin                 0.65    10    -2   -2.65   24.1
BUF Henri Jokiharju            0.40     7    -2   -2.40   21.9
BUF Kyle Okposo                0.25     5    -1   -1.25   11.4
BUF Matt Irwin                -0.04     3    -1   -0.96    8.7
BUF Tage Thompson             -0.71     5    -2   -1.29   11.7
BUF Eric Staal                -1.22    10    -4   -2.78   25.3
BUF Brandon Montour           -1.83    10    -6   -4.17   37.9
BUF Jack Eichel               -2.39    10    -6   -3.61   32.8
BUF Taylor Hall               -2.53    10    -6   -3.47   31.5
BUF Victor Olofsson           -3.05    10    -6   -2.95   26.8
BUF Colin Miller              -3.73    10    -7   -3.27   29.7
BUF Sam Reinhart              -4.18     8    -7   -2.82   25.7
BUF Rasmus Dahlin             -5.64    10    -9   -3.36   30.5

So, 6 of the 7 worst in your stylized +/- are the guys out at the end of games when the goalie is pulled?  Those minutes are technically ES even though on this team they are nearly guaranteed to be a -1.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So, 6 of the 7 worst in your stylized +/- are the guys out at the end of games when the goalie is pulled?  Those minutes are technically ES even though on this team they are nearly guaranteed to be a -1.

This is a good point.  @pi2000 can we get a TRPM sans EN goals?  Then TRPM would reign as the fanciest of stats.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.