GDT: 1/22/21 7pm ET Buffalo at Washington, MSG & WGR

jsb

9 hours ago, Weave said:

This take needs more love.

Sam really does need to catch a bunch of ***** for not going to the net.  It seems to me that our two tank fruit are again not playing with the intensity this team needs.  By my eye Taylor Hall is outperfroming both of them significantly.

Cozens play is a breath of fresh air comparatively.  He's nowhere near ready to be a featured player, but the effort is there.  When/if he starts winning puck battles we are gonna really like this guy. His game is very ROR like.

Olofsson had a good game.  Staal wasn't very visible again.  Disappointing.

Dahlin......  I complained ad nauseum about Jack and Sam not having true mentors, and that it was a mistake that draft position was prioritized over having mentors for our two future stars.  Dahlin needs a mentor even more than Jack did.  He is getting hoodwinked by veteran players on the other teams.  There is no cagey vet on this team to show him how to avoid it. To teach him how to anticipate it.  To communicate on ice with him to prevent it.  It is definitely stunting his development.

We never did have the foundation to build upon, and now our stars have hit their prime years and we still don't have a foundation for the next batch of talent that is ripening now.  We don't have an on ice foundation, and the continued hiring of inexperienced team management means we don't have a good foundation off ice either.  This team has not learned from its mistakes.

This is why I've taken a show me approach to these off seasons.  You guys get on your emotional roller coasters.  You should know better by now.

There were some among us saying "hold your horses", a little. 

Taking a moderate approach early this season, too. The record isn't there, but some of the underlying numbers looks promising. It's still wait and see, they just can't afford to throw away much more ground. 

As of right now it looks like we'll need to play at ~ a 100 point pace rest of the way to make the playoffs. 

Edited by Thorny

Last night was a joke.

The Eichel line skated all over the place and created nothing.  The three goals we scored were from winning puck battles, but time and again, we stopped forechecking.  Where were the puck battle wins in the 3rd period.  

This team is a bunch of lollygaggers.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Last night was a joke.

The Eichel line skated all over the place and created nothing.  The three goals we scored were from winning puck battles, but time and again, we stopped forechecking.  Where were the puck battle wins in the 3rd period.  

This team is a bunch of lollygaggers.   

I find the reaction to that Hall/Reinhart play so interesting. 

Watching it live I cannot believe Hall didn't shoot that puck. Totally on him, for me. But I've read a lot of people say they think it's on Sam for not finishing the play. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Watching it live I cannot believe Hall didn't shoot that puck. Totally on him, for me. But I've read a lot of people say they think it's on Sam for not finishing the play. 

I was surprised that Hall didn't shoot too, but even if he did........ Sam can't peel off.  He needed to drive the net for the rebound.  It was a soft play.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Weave said:

I was surprised that Hall didn't shoot too, but even if he did........ Sam can't peel off.  He needed to drive the net for the rebound.  It was a soft play.

He was *so close* to the net already. Any rebound likely bounces past Sam if he goes any further and Hall shoots, and I'm assuming Reinhart thought Hall was gonna shoot, pretty much because EVERYONE thought he was gonna. 

54 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He was *so close* to the net already. Any rebound likely bounces past Sam if he goes any further and Hall shoots, and I'm assuming Reinhart thought Hall was gonna shoot, pretty much because EVERYONE thought he was gonna. 

Obviously he wasn't close enough.

Soft.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

It's on both, but Hall has the option there and Reinhart didn't fulfill the other end of the bargain.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Rebounds can go anywhere, but you go to the net when a shot is coming.

Also, people who play EA's NHL series would not expect Hall to shoot because everyone knows that the two-pass cross-crease 1 timer is king. 🙂

But.. there's no excuse for Reinhart in any shape or form. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I have not watched the replay, but live I yelled at Taylor for not shooting.

I was surprised that Ray of all people (simplify, shoot, simplify) took a shot at Sam for that and even more surprised that it has been echoed on here.

The Office Reaction GIF

30 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I have not watched the replay, but live I yelled at Taylor for not shooting.

I was surprised that Ray of all people (simplify, shoot, simplify) took a shot at Sam for that and even more surprised that it has been echoed on here.

He absolutely should have shot (as Jack should have about a dozen times so far.)

That does not excuse Sam peeling off.

Also, all Ray does is push thinly veiled company line narratives (aptly applied in this case). 

It's getting pretty tiresome. I'm not ashamed to say for the first time ever, because Rick also wasn't on the call, I considered switching to the other broadcast. 

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

He absolutely should have shot (as Jack should have about a dozen times so far.)

He didn't peel off. 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Thorny said:

Also, all Ray does is push thinly veiled company line narratives (apply applied in this case). 

It's getting pretty tiresome. I'm not ashamed to say for the first time ever, because Rick also wasn't on the call, I considered switching to the other broadcast. 

He didn't peel off. 

He certainly didn't drive to the net.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Yeah, I tend see a lot of the same things you do, but that’s not what I saw.

I saw Sam at the post bracing for the back checker with his stick in the air, not on the ice, with an “oh S—t!” look on his face  as he was surprised by the pass.

I will re-watch.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Yeah, I tend see a lot of the same things you do, but that’s not what I saw.

I saw Sam at the post bracing for the back checker with his stick in the air, not on the ice, with an “oh S—t!” look on his face  as he was surprised by the pass.

I will re-watch.

He wasn't at the post. He passed the puck, then veered away from the net a little. It was small, and probably shouldn't irk me as much as it did, but it didn't scream "I will do everything I can to score."

Again, Hall should have shot, but hockey is about being prepared for what happens after the play you want to have happen doesn't.

Edited by SwampD

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.