GDT: 1/22/21 7pm ET Buffalo at Washington, MSG & WGR

jsb

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Cozens didn’t win it ... trade him

Hall didn’t win it ... trade him

RK is officially a terrible coach 

Eichel isn’t good anymore ... trade him

Any over the top illogical observations I’m missing? 😂

Over the top and Illogical is you for suggesting to trade Cozens, Hall, and Eichel.  Not sure there is one post in this thread suggesting that.  

RK being a terrible coach?  The jury is still out on that.  He sure is not getting the best out of them thus far.  

27 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Disagree. Their are underlying numbers in their favor. Not all and there are things that need to be cleaned up but like I said, if Jack plays like we know he will, Jeff puts a couple in this team is 4-1 and nobody is complaining. This year is different. I’m completely confident that they are a playoff team.

This is an irregular year compared to the typical 82 game season with games distributed throughout the league. And the specially designed conference is loaded with good teams. So it is unlikely that the Sabres are going to have extended winning streaks that include feasting on weak teams. That will make it even more difficult to catch up if this team falls behind as it is now doing. 

You point out that the underlying numbers are in our favor. Those numbers mean little if they are not translated into wins and earning points. Under this year's format if a team falls behind with a schedule of back to back games with the same team it is difficult to sweep games and make up points. This situation is not good. It may not be dire but it is getting close to that point. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm not so much frustrated as I am furious. And what I mean in that is the Sabres have known for some time their positions of weakness and their positions of need on the roster, they've known it since the tear down and rebuild began. No, I don't believe the players are to be let off the hook in this. As one of our new posters, JoeSchmoe pointed out, the captian, Eichel himself, has in fact had a casual approach to the game at the beginning of this season. Now whether that's a lingering injury situation, or it's just bad habits forming, I don't know. What I do know is this, JoeSchmoe is correct, as the captain, he sets or helps set the tone for many on the team. It's not a good look no matter how you slice it imo.

But more importantly, if indeed Eichel is floating, while healthy, then that's a sign of a much larger problem than just the roster. That's a sign of no accountability, and that falls squarely on the coach's shoulders. And when looking at these early games objectively, the chaos is reigning up and down the roster ranks.

That, my fellow Sabres fanatics, is unacceptable. There must be a change of course here, and it must be done immediately imo, or not only is this season lost, but I suspect players who have been here long enough to continuously feel the sharp pain of never coming close to the playoffs will most certainly bail in the next 2 seasons as they see no course correction, no change. Just my 2 pennies is all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

They can’t beat a Caps team with no Ovechkin, no Kuznetsov, no Orlov, no Wilson in the third and a rookie goalie, they get outhustled , outmuscled, and have no heart on a night when they should have been all heart for Linus.

There was never a better chance to get four points and the Caps get none.  This is supposed to be the year when they turn things around and tonight they should have taken control.  They didn’t show a killer instinct.  Washington wanted it more and they got what they deserved.  It’s a huge let down and someone needs to explode in that dressing room to say enough is enough.  Win. Period. And start on Sunday afternoon in regulation.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

That's really a poor effort. Vanecek owns us thus far. But we got a point. Win tomorrow and it's [edit: this series] all good. The Sabres aren't competing with the Capitals for a playoff spot, they're going to be in it. The Sabres need to keep pace with the 3rd-4th-place level teams

Really?   The problem with teams that try for 4th place is they end up in 6th or 7th.  Every game is a division game so they are definitely competing with Washington and they are 0-2-1.   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I'm not so much frustrated as I am furious. And what I mean in that is the Sabres have known for some time their positions of weakness and their positions of need on the roster, they've known it since the tear down and rebuild began. No, I don't believe the players are to be let off the hook in this. As one of our new posters, JoeSchmoe pointed out, the captian, Eichel himself, has in fact had a casual approach to the game at the beginning of this season. Now whether that's a lingering injury situation, or it's just bad habits forming, I don't know. What I do know is this, JoeSchmoe is correct, as the captain, he sets or helps set the tone for many on the team. It's not a good look no matter how you slice it imo.

But more importantly, if indeed Eichel is floating, while healthy, then that's a sign of a much larger problem than just the roster. That's a sign of no accountability, and that falls squarely on the coach's shoulders. And when looking at these early games objectively, the chaos is reigning up and down the roster ranks.

That, my fellow Sabres fanatics, is unacceptable. There must be a change of course here, and it must be done immediately imo, or not only is this season lost, but I suspect players who have been here long enough to continuously feel the sharp pain of never coming close to the playoffs will most certainly bail in the next 2 seasons as they see no course correction, no change. Just my 2 pennies is all.

Thank-you

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, repster said:

They can’t beat a Caps team with no Ovechkin, no Kuznetsov, no Orlov, no Wilson in the third and a rookie goalie, they get outhustled , outmuscled, and have no heart on a night when they should have been all heart for Linus.

There was never a better chance to get four points and the Caps get none.  This is supposed to be the year when they turn things around and tonight they should have taken control.  They didn’t show a killer instinct.  Washington wanted it more and they got what they deserved.  It’s a huge let down and someone needs to explode in that dressing room to say enough is enough.  Win. Period. And start on Sunday afternoon in regulation.

We outplayed them at times but the team with the most urgency was Washington.  Their coach told Ray before the game how intense the Caps would be just to simplify the game and pull together with all their players out.  

Yes, culture is important.   Their culture is to win hockey games, no excuses, and no moral victory’s.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

Meh. I'm not even going to read the thread...

I'm checked out on this team already.  They look lost and disinterested out there a lot of the time.  Sure they generate some chances, but not many. The D is shot.

Glad Dahlin got screwed to the bench.. he can sit a few games.  if he can't respond to that then ship him off.  People will say that's drastic, but you know what? Sitting around waiting for potential is garbage.  If he has issues right now, get him out of the lineup.  Stop letting the fans see his issues manifesting themselves on the ice.  He's responsible for this loss tonight.  When you look more clueless around your own net than Ristolainen you know it's bad.

I'm not gonna bother with the "if this or that". They didn't win.  It's that simple.  The only analytical stat I care about anymore is the winning percentage and is sucks, again, still, as always.

F this team, the coach, and the front office.  

Because Mom always said end with a positive thought... here it is.  I won't be paying for Fubo for the whole season!  

• Like (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

We outplayed them at times but the team with the most urgency was Washington.  Their coach told Ray before the came how intense the Caps would be just to simplify the game and pull together with all their players out.  

Yes, culture is important.   Their culture is to win hockey games, no excuses, and no moral victory’s.  

Right. Which brings me to Ralph K. HOW DO YOU NOT MAKE SURE YOU WIN THIS GAME?  Whatever it took, you needed this one.

After the game it was, ho hum, We are snake bit, We've got to find a way.... YOU NEEDED TO FIND A WAY BEFORE THE GAME.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Did anyone know that Dahlin’s straight line speed was below average before we drafted him?  Old man Eller flew by him like he was skating by a pylon. 

On Staal, did he even move his family here or is he already counting the days to move back home. 

On Hall, terrible pairing with Eichel.  Hall likes to carry the puck, and Jack looks lost watching him do so. 

RK and staff...embarrassing, and not NHL level. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KC Scouts said:

Power Play underperforms because every team knows how to defend it and he has used the same power play since he's been here 

Breakout has sucked since he's been the coach and continues to be a problem

They get pushed around and don't respond

He's a pompous ass, just listen to his post game pressers. Pegulas bought his pile of crap in his job interview 

Compare him to Sean McDermott and his approach, who succeeds

Its the players right? All twenty-whatever of them, right?

He's talking right now...."We are Snake-bit".... We've got to find a way to turn it around" Really? What's to find Ralph? You don't know?

In 2018 McDermott and Beane, coming off a playoff season, gutted their team, traded away alleged “star players” that  turned out to be high paid floaters, and played the 2018 season with Nat Peterman and a raw rookie named Josh Allen at QB.  The had no OL and no WRs, something they would fix in the coming years.  They were 6-10 while in a massive rebuild.  No tanking.  They were actually competitive most games that year and they finished better than many of the seasons the Sabres have experienced for 10 years.   One year later they win 10 games and make the playoffs.  Two years later they are 15-3 and  in the conference championship.  

They did it with Great coaching, smart drafting and cap management, and by never settling for moral victories.  They are all about continuous improvement, accountability, team play and winning.  

In comparison the Sabres are poorly coached and show no esprit de corps.  Yes, they need a real 2C, a real NHL Starting goalie, and a few tough role players that will play an honest game and keep the opponent honest.  The have a several good pieces but the team is lifeless.  No energy, no fun, no accountability to their teammates or themselves.   They should have played harder for Linus.  They should have won for him.  This game says a lot about them as a team.

It should not take 10 years and all this churn.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Did anyone know that Dahlin’s straight line speed was below average before we drafted him?  Old man Eller flew by him like he was skating by a pylon. 

On Staal, did he even move his family here or is he already counting the days to move back home. 

On Hall, terrible pairing with Eichel.  Hall likes to carry the puck, and Jack looks lost watching him do so. 

RK and staff...embarrassing, and not NHL level. 

Doesn't seem to have much of a shot either. And very weak defensively. What made him a lock at #1?

My takes-

I am a huge Reinhart fan and have defended him forever, but him making that pass to Hall and then peeling off pisses me off to no end. That is hockey 101. Skate to the f'n net. If he did, that was a goal. What he did was a BS shinny play for an open skate superstar. I haven't been this angry about a play in a long time. Maybe PH was right.

Cozens makes me happy.

Dahlin was really bad. WTF?!

Risto was good. Montour was good.

Olofsson was a machine tonight. He made so many good plays. I continue to be impressed by him.

Miller's got some wheels.

WTF is wrong with Jack?,… that is all.

Not a fan of these lines. Haven't been from the git.

Ullmark deserved better.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, I thought that was a really good hockey game, that the Sabres played well and just couldn't bury their chances, and that Eichel's line, especially Jack, really brought it and created a lot of chances.

It's true that they are digging themselves a hole that they won't be able to dig themselves out of unless they start accumulating Ws ASAP, but so far, IMHO the hustle and overall level of play has been good in every game since the opener.

They need their top guys to start leading them to victories. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m starting to think that Eichel might be the problem with this team. Their is no denying he’s talented but maybe he’s an issue in the dressing room as far as leading this team. He’s been floating a lot and for someone that has a potent shot he sure isn’t shooting. ***** we had a great two way player in O’Reilly here and he lost his love for hockey in Buffalo? Come on something doesn’t add up.

I like Ralph Krueger but it’s looking more like the same old *****. I live in Vegas and have watch Miller and Eakin in the two seasons we had them and both have gotten worse since leaving the Golden Knights. Another thing I would like to point out on Buffalo’s defense is besides Ristolainen they lack solid tough stay at home defensemen. Way to many puck movers in my opinion. You can’t have 5-6 offensive defensemen on your team and if you look at them all closely that’s what they are with Risto moving kinda into the solid stay at home tough d-man.

I’m not sure what this team is gonna do but it surely is looking like another bottom 5 finish and a lot of players are gonna want out. To me this is unacceptable to be this bad for this long. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I know it’s early but once again we sit in the basement.  We can’t fall too far behind in a shortened season.  

This team is a mess. Look at my post above. Besides having way too many offensive defensemen on this team, Hutton isn’t a good goalie, Eichel looks unmotivated as the leader on the ice. Him and Ristolainen are gonna want out if this continues. This team has no toughness. It’s like players that go to Buffalo don’t know how to play hockey anymore. Miller and Eakin who I seen play here in Vegas have gotten worse since leaving. All I can say is that what is going on with this team is unacceptable. 

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

It would be just our luck if Dahlin turned out to be a bust....and not the one in the HOF

I don’t really think Dahlin is that great of a defenseman. Yes, he has moves and offensive skill but he really needs work on his defensive game. Yeah I know he’s young but we need to see improvement and it hasn’t been there. 

The problem with this team is talent and a soft roster.  We have mediocre goaltending, other then McCabe and Risto, who really takes it to the other team?  We need our forwards to start knocking people into next week.  We need to forecheck like crazy and over come our lack of talent with tenacity.  Unfortunately our coach is Mr feel good and Mr. Softie. 

I'm actually rethinking this roster.  I want one physical power player on each line to do dirty work.  If Edm can run Semenko and McSorley (although he had some O chops) with Gretzky, why can't I run someone like Sheahan with EIchel and Hall?

Hall Eichel Sheahan - Sheahan plays hard and his large presence should create space and protection for Jack and Hall

Reider Staal Reinhart - This line needs a speedy forechecker.  

Skinner Lazar Cozens - Lazar is tenacious, Cozens has energy every shift.  So does Skinner.  Maybe a line of three guys who play all out will create some results.

Olofsson Eakin Thompson - I'd replace Thompson with a playmaker, unless Thompson stops try to be a finesse forward and focuses on using his big frame to hit someone.

Lets take the gloves off and beat our division into submission.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.