GDT: 1/19/21 7pm ET, Sabres at Philadelphia Flyers, MSG & WGR

jsb

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I just really don’t think this is true.  Sabres created a lot of good scoring chances.  

That’s not what I saw.  Sabres were getting the puck to the goal area and creating dangerous chances.

I am surprised that so many people are not seeing that.

Because they didn't do it with regularity and if they did do it, it was a solo effort with no one to bang in rebounds. IMPO there are clear issues with the 5v5 offense just as there were last year. Our team sh% is not great. 

Add in the fact our goaltending is still bottoms 5 in the league and here we are 1-3. The goaltending as we all questioned this summer, is sinking us. 

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

They dominated play and control of the puck all night. We are good at making goalies look good, and good goalies look elite. But when we got stuck into our third string goalie things fall apart. That would be for any team. I’m happy we’re running circles in the offensive zone struggling to score as opposed to circling in the defensive zone never getting puck control. It amazed me shift after shift they were able to maintain possession, where the same players in years prior would’ve given up immediately. 

Frustrating game to watch, but not depressing. 

If "they" means the Sabres I disagree. We had moments of domination and so did the Flyers. It was a even-ish game with a slight edge towards Buffalo that they couldn't capitalize on. 

Also, Skinner should be with Sheahan and Cozens. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Only in Buffalo can the goalies be the problem after a game in which the offense was shutout.

I mean they need a healthy NHL caliber goalie in case Hutton or Ullmark aren’t available.  

As for last nights game, the bounces they got the previous night weren’t there.  Skinner needs to pot a few.  Eichel had some chances as well.  I’m cautiously pessimistic.  

54 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Because they didn't do it with regularity and if they did do it, it was a solo effort with no one to bang in rebounds. IMPO there are clear issues with the 5v5 offense just as there were last year. Our team sh% is not great. 

I think that in this game, they did do it with regularity.  Better than the Flyers did.

20 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

According to the NHL Stats page there are 4 Sabres who have yet to record a point this season:

Cody Eakin

Colin Miller

Jeff Skinner

Rasmus Dahlin

Two of these are not like the other. 

Does anyone get off this list tonight? Who will be the last active skater to register a point?

Trick question, it was NOBODY

• Like (+1) 1

A few leftover thoughts:

• After starting god-awful, then progressing to poor, then OK, Brandon Montour actually had a good game. That unnecessary goofy flash he has seemed channelled into positive areas. He was getting pucks out of our zone, keeping it in theirs and playing with pace.
  • In a game where the Flyers were working hard to keep us outside, I thought we could have used Tage's size and reach.
  • I knew Taylor Hall was really individually skilled, but what has surprised me a little is his strength on the puck. He's been a very complete player. I'd like to see he or Jack add "snipe" to their resumes.
  • Is it possible Curtis Lazar might take a step up this year from utility guy to actual third-liner? He's been noticeable.
  • Sheahan lacks skill and flash, but he works and he knows how to play the game.
  • Eric Staal is really scaring me. He seems to be trying harder and the brain is there, I'm just not sure he can keep up.
  • Dahlin had his best game last night. He just seemed more poised. Not happy he seemed to be dropped from PP1.
  • Also liked that Henri Jokiharju was trying to impose his will on the game more. We need to see growth there.
  • When he's not tossing up hand grenades and trying to do the jobs of three men in the defensive zone, I love what Risto brings. Right now he's a treat to watch.
  • What the heck was Colin Miller doing on the 2nd goal? He pushed it softly to the net in what was essentially a giveaway, and then he got all tangled up on the blueline instead of peeling back to protect the rush.
  • Most goalies either need work technically, or athletically. Johansson looked terrible in both areas on what was a tough but very saveable 2-0 goal.
  • Hutton played well. We cannot afford bad goaltending. If either he or Linus is out for any length of time, Adams needs to make a trade today.
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

We are 26th in sv%. We already have bad goaltending. 

It's kind of sad when the fans know what the problems are with the team and management doesn't.

We all argued for an upgrade on Hutton at the least all off-season.  We talked about how our PK needs to improve and that one key problem was the 8.35% save % of our goalies on the PK.  Instead KA gave us depth winger Toby Rieder.

Honestly, this should have been the teams highest priority after getting a 2nd line center.  Not a $8 mill LW when we lacked depth at RW or competent goaltending. 

Now just 4 games in the goaltending is in shambles.  We still lack any depth at RW.  We have a glut of LWs and 4th line players.  Our 2nd line center acquisition looks old and slow.  Doesn't sound like a winning strategy.  

Right now KA must solve the goaltending.  I think there are enough pieces in the forward group to cobble together something that could work.  However none of it matters without solid goaltending.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

You said the better team doesn't always win and since we lost that's pretty much the same thing, but at least we agree that they were not as fast tonight and that makes a big difference for the way we play. We're not a check and grind Boston or Barry Trotts type of team so we will have a chance to win when we outskate the opposition but not likely when we allow them to bottle us up. They forced us to the outside too. 

We still; need more players going to the net and the dirty areas. We need to be the team "accidentally" running into their goalie for a change. 

which is last place. 

True, but this division doesn't scare me anymore, honestly, watching these teams for the first few games, and that's one of my biggest takeaways. Making the playoffs is definitely up for the taking. Which brings me to..

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

Only in Buffalo can the goalies be the problem after a game in which the offense was shutout.

You know the goaltending is an issue. 

8 hours ago, inkman said:

I mean they need a healthy NHL caliber goalie in case Hutton or Ullmark aren’t available.  

As for last nights game, the bounces they got the previous night weren’t there.  Skinner needs to pot a few.  Eichel had some chances as well.  I’m cautiously pessimistic.  

No worries about Eichel. He just needs to start letting it rip more. It's nice having a guy who can lead the league in points when he isn't even playing well. 

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

A few leftover thoughts:

• After starting god-awful, then progressing to poor, then OK, Brandon Montour actually had a good game. That unnecessary goofy flash he has seemed channelled into positive areas. He was getting pucks out of our zone, keeping it in theirs and playing with pace.
  • In a game where the Flyers were working hard to keep us outside, I thought we could have used Tage's size and reach.
  • I knew Taylor Hall was really individually skilled, but what has surprised me a little is his strength on the puck. He's been a very complete player. I'd like to see he or Jack add "snipe" to their resumes.
  • Is it possible Curtis Lazar might take a step up this year from utility guy to actual third-liner? He's been noticeable.
  • Sheahan lacks skill and flash, but he works and he knows how to play the game.
  • Eric Staal is really scaring me. He seems to be trying harder and the brain is there, I'm just not sure he can keep up.
  • Dahlin had his best game last night. He just seemed more poised. Not happy he seemed to be dropped from PP1.
  • Also liked that Henri Jokiharju was trying to impose his will on the game more. We need to see growth there.
  • When he's not tossing up hand grenades and trying to do the jobs of three men in the defensive zone, I love what Risto brings. Right now he's a treat to watch.
  • What the heck was Colin Miller doing on the 2nd goal? He pushed it softly to the net in what was essentially a giveaway, and then he got all tangled up on the blueline instead of peeling back to protect the rush.
  • Most goalies either need work technically, or athletically. Johansson looked terrible in both areas on what was a tough but very saveable 2-0 goal.
  • Hutton played well. We cannot afford bad goaltending. If either he or Linus is out for any length of time, Adams needs to make a trade today.

Word. 

If JJ is the starter tomorrow, it's a mistake. 

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

We are 26th in sv%. We already have bad goaltending. 

This is true, every farmer and their mom knew Adams already made a mistake heading in. 

It just doesn't have to be colossal. 

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

True, but this division doesn't scare me anymore, honestly, watching these teams for the first few games, and that's one of my biggest takeaways. Making the playoffs is definitely up for the taking. Which brings me to..

You know the goaltending is an issue. 

No worries about Eichel. He just needs to start letting it rip more. It's nice having a guy who can lead the league in points when he isn't even playing well. 

I have not thought it was as big of an issue as gets played out on here, even last year. By a lot.

In two of our three losses this year, we scored 1 goal.

We lose and have lost because we just don't score enough. Period.

• Like (+1) 1

I have not thought it was as big of an issue as gets played out on here, even last year. By a lot.

In two of our three losses this year, we scored 1 goal.

We lose and have lost because we just don't score enough. Period.

Trying to dial things down to one singular issue makes zero sense, period. 

Goaltending is an issue. Let's save some time and agree to disagree on it's state heading into the year. Surely you see, if Ullmark and Hutton are out, we need an add. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Trying to dial things down to one singular issue makes zero sense, period. 

Goaltending is an issue. Let's save some time and agree to disagree on it's state heading into the year. Surely you see, if Ullmark and Hutton are out, we need an add. 

That is most certainly true.

But even if I include the first game, our goalies have given up an average of 2 goals a game. We should be better than 1-3 and the sole reason for that is our scoring.

• Like (+1) 2

But even if I include the first game, our goalies have given up an average of 2 goals a game. We should be better than 1-3 and the sole reason for that is our scoring.

I dunno, it's just too simplified for me, Swamp, even if I think you are correct in the macro, if I had to pick one thing. 

But like, if Staal doesn't turn that puck over game 1, we may win. That's a defensive error. Goals for and against are a zero sum game, the amount we'd have needed to score would have gone down. 

35 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Goalies have not given up an average of two goals per game.  10 goals in 4 games is 2.5 goals per game.

10 hours ago, SwampD said:

The offense was shut out but the offense was able to generate 40 shots that included somewhere around 10-12 high quality chances. The opportunities were there but the shooters missed them. Skinner had multiple golden opportunities and Oloffson also had a couple of those same enticing openings to shoot at.  Overall, this was another loss but the team for the most part played well. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Goalies have not given up an average of two goals per game.  10 goals in 4 games is 2.5 goals per game.

50 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

oooooooooooohhhh.  THAT just happened.

40 minutes ago, Curt said:

Someone send @SwampDsome aloe vera, because he just got burned!  🔥

Maths.  It’s what I’m here for.

So, we're blaming goalies for empty netters now?  

If not, then it's 8 goals against with a goalie on the ice in four games (does math)... that's two goals per game.  

30 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

So, we're blaming goalies for empty netters now?  

If not, then it's 8 goals against with a goalie on the ice in four games (does math)... that's two goals per game.  

Go check those numbers again.  Count the goals, then double check them, then ask @SwampD to count them, then check them together, then check one more time.  Then come back.

28 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Oh @Curt!  This hurts!  Can it be true?

Lol, no!

12 goals against

-2 empty net goals against

= 8 goals allowed by goalies?????

MATHS!!!

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

Go check those numbers again.  Count the goals, then double check them, then ask @SwampD to count them, then check them together, then check one more time.  Then come back.

Lol, no!

12 goals against

-2 empty net goals against

= 8 goals allowed by goalies?????

MATHS!!!

Welp.  That's me finished then.  I'll get my coat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Lol!

I did make a mistake. Sorry I was working and thought they scored 4.

But in fairness, the game ended for me once Stall sh!t himself.

And I still don’t care. If Hutton and Ullmark are out, we obviously need a goalie. If they aren’t, they are good enough to win with, if we could actually score at a pace that isn’t at or near the bottom of the league like it has been for eight ***** years.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.