GDT: 1/19/21 7pm ET, Sabres at Philadelphia Flyers, MSG & WGR

jsb

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Caveat being in a very, very timely fashion, but ya. 

No,  right now we have 3 lines that can't score.  We have 22 mill in active cap of key players with zero goals in 4 games; Eichel, Skinner and Staal.

EV Strength goals by line in 4 games.

L1 1 - Reinhart

L2 1 - Olofsson

L3 1 - Reider

L4 2 - Lazar

D - 3 goals, 1 each by McCabe, Risto and Jokiharju

RK system doesn't work.  This team has zero playoff chances goalie or no, unless the EV Strength scoring improves.  RK was bragging after yesterday about his system. LOL

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No,  right now we have 3 lines that can't score.  We have 22 mill in active cap of key players with zero goals in 4 games; Eichel, Skinner and Staal.

L1 1 - Reinhart

L2 1 - Olofsson

L3 1 - Reider

L4 2 - Lazar

RK system doesn't work.  This team has zero playoff chances goalie or no, unless the EV Strength scoring doesn't improve.  RK was bragging after yesterday about his system. LOL

I always wonder how you get a system that is right for 20 skaters.   Do you can acquire the 20 best hockey players you can get,  or 20 that fit your system best?   Seems like a flexible coach and a system that lets good players play to their strengths is a better approach.  So far Ralph has a system were his 4th line outperforms his 2nd and 3rd lines.  That makes you weak right there.  

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I always wonder how you get a system that is right for 20 skaters.   Do you can acquire the 20 best hockey players you can get,  or 20 that fit your system best?   Seems like a flexible coach and a system that lets good players play to their strengths is a better approach.  So far Ralph has a system were his 4th line outperforms his 2nd and 3rd lines.  That makes you weak right there.  

To make matters worse, 3 of the 5 EV goals came yesterday in the 1st Philly game.  That means we have 2 EV goals in the other 3 games.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Sad 1

Skinner came very close a couple of times tonight.  It feels like if he can break through they will come in bunches.

I don't think they're getting nearly enough from Eichel, Hall, VO, Staal or Dahlin.

Hopefully they'll find their scoring touch before it's too late.

Hutton played very well before leaving the game.  For that matter JJ looked OK too, but that's not a solution.

I guess there is no info on Linus?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Skinner came very close a couple of times tonight.  It feels like if he can break through they will come in bunches.

I don't think they're getting nearly enough from Eichel, Hall, VO, Staal or Dahlin.

Hopefully they'll find their scoring touch before it's too late.

Hutton played very well before leaving the game.  For that matter JJ looked OK too, but that's not a solution.

I guess there is no info on Linus?

Skinner has played hard every game.  He was a factor in Lazar’s two  goals but not credited with an assist.  

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

But ism't that because the 4th line plays against the 4th line?  We are a one line team again and then the next 9 guys are mostly all 4th liners (except for Olofsson and Cozens who is a work in progress). I don't think it has anything to do with the system.

We will not win unless Skinner and Eichel start scoring goals.

We have to skate hard EVERY night and can only win with speed. Philly played a tighter D game in this one similar to what Washington threw at us and we were shut down for the most part. We play good wide open, but we have not been good in close checking games for years. This is why we always faltered more second half of the season too when checking gets tighter. With the short season and back to backs teams will employ that style more earlier.

And of course nobody stepped up to send a message for Kubel's hit. 

We were not horrible, but it was very disappointing and we're obviously f**ked in goal . 

35 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

To make matters worse, 3 of the 5 EV goals came yesterday in the 1st Philly game.  That means we have 2 EV goals in the other 3 games.  

This is exactly why you look at the advanced stuff here. The sample size is so small it's really easy for something like "luck" to be the determining factor.

If they continue to play like they have been, it's rather unlikely the rate of scoring won't go up. 

Just now, Thorny said:

This is exactly why you look at the advanced stuff here. The sample size is so small it's really easy for something like "luck" to be the determining factor.

If they continue to play like they have been, it's rather unlikely the rate of scoring won't go up. 

it has no place to go but up.  Yes, they are generating chances, but the lack of finish is really scary.  I still hate putting out two lines every night that can't score and now having a 2nd line with no chemistry, it just doesn't bode well.  

Unless Ullmark can play, they won't be able to solve the goaltending issue without a trade.  I have a bad feeling Hutton is going to be out for some time and Jo Jo and Togarski aren't even a partial band aid.  

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

it has no place to go but up.  Yes, they are generating chances, but the lack of finish is really scary.  I still hate putting out two lines every night that can't score and now having a 2nd line with no chemistry, it just doesn't bode well.  

Unless Ullmark can play, they won't be able to solve the goaltending issue without a trade.  I have a bad feeling Hutton is going to be out for some time and Jo Jo and Togarski aren't even a partial band aid.  

This is one of the first real big tests for Adams. Sit on your hands and let the season slip away like Botterill did or make a move to help your team in a timely fashion. Show them you believe in them and that the goals for THIS season matter. 

Just now, Thorny said:

This is one of the first real big tests for Adams. Sit on your hands and let the season slip away like Botterill did or make a move to help your team in a timely fashion. Show them you believe in them and that the goals for THIS season matter. 

What assets does he use?  Mittelstadt, draft picks? Johnson?

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

What assets does he use?  Mittelstadt, draft picks? Johnson?

We aren't gonna have to move a 1st, so any picks for me are on the table. Don't really want to touch the active roster, but Casey definitely. 

Quinn/Peterka/Johnson no but most other prospects yes depending on goalie return 

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’m leaning towards he will sit on his hands. Just a hunch 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

We aren't gonna have to move a 1st, so any picks for me are on the table. Don't really want to touch the active roster, but Casey definitely. 

Quinn/Peterka/Johnson no but most other prospects yes depending on goalie return 

So Casey, Samuelsson and UPL, that about it for value.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So Casey, Samuelsson and UPL, that about it for value.

Is UPL tracking well still? I'd probably keep him. 

Teams get their knickers in a twist for draft picks. We have plenty of ammunition. Ppl will scream overpay if we dealt 2 2nds or something - we have the currency.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

L1 1 - Reinhart

L2 1 - Olofsson

L3 1 - Reider

L4 2 - Lazar

RK system doesn't work.  This team has zero playoff chances goalie or no, unless the EV Strength scoring doesn't improve.  RK was bragging after yesterday about his system. LOL

I would hope anyone watching (or counting) can see that the team has generated a fairly good amount of offensive chances and zone control.  I don’t know what you are watching.

26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Oh, I see.  Yes, you agree that Krueger’s system is generating good chances, but it also are 100% certain that it doesn’t work.

Maybe ease up on the “Krueger ruins all things offense” narrative?

16 minutes ago, Curt said:

I would hope anyone watching (or counting) can see that the team has generated a fairly good amount of offensive chances and zone control.  I don’t know what you are watching.

I saw tons of chances, few great, except the 2 open nets Olofsson missed, and a significant lack of finish.  Rinse, wash, repeat.  I see two 40 goal scorers with zero goals and a team that can't score at even strength despite numerous chances.  We have been at or below league average in shooting % for the last 5 years and we are below average again this season.  Sure it's a small sample size, but it's not exactly a surprise given the recent past.  

PS I said we were generating chances, I didn't say good chances.  The chart shows where our shots were coming from.  It doesn't show if we had some screening the goalie, or someone near the net to gather a rebound.  A shot chart doesn't give you the whole picture.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.