GDT: 1/19/21 7pm ET, Sabres at Philadelphia Flyers, MSG & WGR

jsb

29 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

God... putting Linus in net gonna be a tough one.

Hear something?

17 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

According to the NHL Stats page there are 4 Sabres who have yet to record a point this season:

Cody Eakin

Colin Miller

Jeff Skinner

Rasmus Dahlin

Two of these are not like the other. 

Does anyone get off this list tonight? Who will be the last active skater to register a point?

I can't remember Jeff Skinner being so effective without scoring.

Zero points and he's still a plus. And the goals are going to come.

PS: he's a 4th-liner in name, but he's 7th among forwards in ice time with just over 15 minutes per. You can't say he's been benched.

• Like (+1) 5

38 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Hear something?

PS: he's a 4th-liner in name, but he's 7th among forwards in ice time with just over 15 minutes per. You can't say he's been benched.

no just having to carry two significantly lesser players.  That said Lazar is a hard worker and it was a sick pass from Sheahan to Lazar for his second goal.  They were talking on the NHL network radio about heart and soul type players.  Without Z and KO were are down two of those kind of players.  I like Lazar and like that he is stepping up into that kind of role.

• Like (+1) 1

Philly should come out faster and harder so it's a good test to see if we actually have something or not. Goaltending is the big question obviously. otherwise I think we keep the lines the same, but the Lazar line gets more ice time so they really are line 2, and Staal's line is line 4. 

Risto really did look like the solid complete D man we always hoped he'd become last game. Maybe its' the beard? 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

According to the NHL Stats page there are 4 Sabres who have yet to record a point this season:

Cody Eakin

Colin Miller

Jeff Skinner

Rasmus Dahlin

Two of these are not like the other. 

Does anyone get off this list tonight? Who will be the last active skater to register a point?

I've got some $$$ on Dahlin scoring tonight. Nothing serious but a good return if he does.

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Philly should come out faster and harder so it's a good test to see if we actually have something or not. Goaltending is the big question obviously. otherwise I think we keep the lines the same, but the Lazar line gets more ice time so they really are line 2, and Staal's line is line 4. 

Risto really did look like the solid complete D man we always hoped he'd become last game. Maybe its' the beard? 

It's evolution.  He was a star offensive D when we got him, who was sadly overused by coaches because he was all they had.  He's had like 5 coaches since he joined the Sabres, which slowed his in zone development.  Now he has a strong D minded coach and better D teammates.  He doesn't have to be counted on to carry all the D load.  Dahlin runs the 1st PP, McCabe is his D first partner.  He is now using his size properly and has learned to play 200 feet.  He made great strides last year and looks like he is continuing that progression.  This development continues, this site is going to want him re-signed.

39 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Based.  Not just on eye test, but Skinner leads the Sabres and is 7th in the league in total EV ixG.  What the ***** does that mean?  Statistically speaking, he's ballin' out, and he should have goals already.  And that's at even strength with his even strength linemates.

Krueger's experiment to see if Jeff can elevate his linemates and create matchup headaches continues to be real interesting.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

I think if there's going to be a premeditated response, someone else will be the hitman and risk taking the penalty.  McCabe seems like a good fit for this.

I'd be happy if him & Risto just took gratuitous runs at him the whole game. Those two could easily send a message, even if it's just clean hits every time he's on the ice.

Edited by erickompositör72
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

I think if there's going to be a premeditated response, someone else will be the hitman and risk taking the penalty.  McCabe seems like a good fit for this.

Check this out: Dalton Smith is still on the Sabres roster on ESPN.com (which I looked up Aube-Kubel's height/weight on). https://www.espn.com/nhl/team/roster/_/name/buf/buffalo-sabres   That's who should do it, Dalton Smith!

I like Staal for any direct retribution/fight tonight. He's tremendously well-respected around the league and is the vet on a new team. He knows his game isn't quite up to snuff yet, so it's another way to help the team. He's not a fighter, but he's a leader who can toss Aube-Kubel around if need be and show him how to be respectful of the game and not throw a cheap-shot stick-punch to someone's nose when you're the one who has the puck and you're down by 4 goals with under 2 minutes to play.

The others on the team who might are of course McCabe, but Sheahen, Miller, and Lazar as alternates. And as well, Dahlin, Risto, McCabe, and also Miller will cross-check and hit him at every opportunity. Dahlin shouldn't be taking himself out of the game for 5 minutes.

W/ all due respect to the OP, which was a very good post overall as usual, the Sabres have had some really good games especially the opening 2 games of last season.

They destroyed a good Pens team in Pittsburgh & then didn't let it down at home again Joisey.

The issue has been sustaining that for all 82.  Fortunately, this time they only have to sustain it another 53 to see the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I'd like Dahlin to take care of his own business tonight.

He's got 4 inches and 20 pounds on Aube Kabel and it sends exactly the right kind of message.

That'd be great, but I fear Aube-Kubel is liable to cheap-shot him again. Last thing I want is Dahlin missing games.

2 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

That'd be great, but I fear Aube-Kubel is liable to cheap-shot him again. Last thing I want is Dahlin missing games.

Dahlin should be no more worried about Aube-Kubel than Jack or Hall would be.

He needs to rid the league of the idea that is even an option.

2 hours ago, I-90 W said:

I’m still sore about the 2011 playoff series. They pushed us all around the ice and camped out in front of our net the entire series. 

Funny thing is that the Flyers boards were complaining about the Sabres being too rough.

Their top forward line was a combined -10 before Pominville and Connolly went down in game 6.  Imagine if Hecht had been healthy too.  I thought if the Sabres survived round 1 and then got Hecht and Roy back healthy, then they could have gone a long way in 2011.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He's got 4 inches and 20 pounds on Aube Kabel and it sends exactly the right kind of message.

The best message he can send to Aube and the Flyers is to contribute to a win by scoring, assisting and good play. The Sabres have a history of being one of the worst penalty killers in the league. Why put your team a man short with a pay back hit that in the end is more likely to hurt your team? Play hard, clean and win. That's the best form of justice. 

I didn't see the hit so I can't say if it was a dirty or intentional hit. The league reviewed and did not find it to be problematic. 

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not every skill player can be Gil Perreault fighting Keith Magnuson, though.

16 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Funny thing is that the Flyers boards were complaining about the Sabres being too rough.

Their top forward line was a combined -10 before Pominville and Connolly went down in game 6.  Imagine if Hecht had been healthy too.  I thought if the Sabres survived round 1 and then got Hecht and Roy back healthy, then they could have gone a long way in 2011.

They’re crazy! We literally refused to clear bodies that entire series, it was infuriating. 

38 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The best message he can send to Aube and the Flyers is to contribute to a win by scoring, assisting and good play. The Sabres have a history of being one of the worst penalty killers in the league. Why put your team a man short with a pay back hit that in the end is more likely to hurt your team? Play hard, clean and win. That's the best form of justice. 

I didn't see the hit so I can't say if it was a dirty or intentional hit. The league reviewed and did not find it to be problematic. 

It was intentional and dirty. Not sure who was on the ice at the time but a scrum and a facewash would have sufficed. It was nice to score on the powerplay when it was already 5-1 just to rub salt in Phillies wound. Thats where this lineup should make teams pay. 

• Like (+1) 1

Krueger said that both Linus Ullmark and Jonas Johansson were set to skate this morning but did not announce his starting goaltender. Johansson was promoted from the taxi squad prior to Monday's game after it was announced that Linus Ullmark would not dress due to a personal matter. Carter Hutton got the start Monday, allowing one goal on 23 shots. 

The rest of the lineup will be revealed during warmups.

From Sabres.com

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.