GDT: 1/19/21 7pm ET, Sabres at Philadelphia Flyers, MSG & WGR

jsb

image.png.eb7b9385dee767e3bc02dc2ee4978233.png        VS  image.thumb.png.61463942e6f9462dbd2fc20a5d708be8.png

In what can only be described as the best game the Buffalo Sabres have played in the Pegula era, they demolished a Flyers team yesterday that was being compared to the best teams in the NHL. They accomplished this in almost Globetrotterish fashion. The Flyers totally embarrassed by their play should come out flying in this game so a similar effort will be called for. Can the Sabres Do It Again??

5 Star Awards yesterday: 

1. Hall-Eichel-Reinhart line. Nothing short of WOW and I can't imagine breaking up this trio after that performance
  2. Risto with his possibly best all around game of his Sabre career. He was Josie Wales with everything but spitting before killing anything that moved
  3. Lazar-Sheahan-Skinner line, what genius put that trio together
  4. Sabrespacers who couldn't biotch about the Skinner line, Risto, Casey, HCRK, Hutton decided that Stall and Samson was their next victims. Invisible, Phantom of the Operish?? WTF
  5. Ralph K who mixed the right kind of ingredients to get this team ready to play 

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW

With a win tonight, the Sabres would have wins in consecutive meetings with the Flyers for the first time since they won three in a row from Feb. 19 to Oct. 30, 2015.

The road team has won just 60 of the 182 regular-season matchups between the Sabres and Flyers, including just two of the last nine. A win tonight would mark the first consecutive road wins in the series since the Sabres won consecutive games in Philadelphia on Feb. 19 and Oct. 27, 2015.

BULLYING THE BULLIES
Buffalo’s 6-1 win last night tied the Sabres’ second-best goal differential in their 182 regular-season matchups with the Flyers. It also tied their greatest winning margin in a road game in Philadelphia.

Not knowing what Linus' problem may be, we can only hope it's something that can be dealt with in a timely fashion. All best wishes his way

LETS GO BUFFALO

• Like (+1) 4

Well, after the biggest regular-season butt-whoopin the Sabres have laid on the Flyers since 2006 -- a glorious 9-1 shellacking that got Ken Hitchcock fired -- they are right back at it with their original NHL nemesis.

(For the youngsters -- the Sabres' first trip to the Finals was in 1975, when the French Connection were flying around, team captain and flaming ginger Schony was pummeling fools, King Kong Korab was glowering at everyone and no one wore a helmet.  They lost to a Flyers team that gooned it up every game (inspiring the movie "Slap Shot") and beat the Sabres 4-2 with incredible goaltending from Bernie Parent, in a series in which Jim Lorentz killed a bat that was flying around the Aud and in which both teams from time to time had to skate laps to dissipate pockets of fog that had set in.  I still remember the headline in TBN the morning after they lost game 6 -- "Bernie 'Freak Thing' Evaporate Sabres' Dreams of Glory.")

Anyway, the Sabres looked great last night -- determined, aggressive and getting some of their fine motor skills back.  If they can replicate that effort and get competent goaltending, they'll get back to .500, keep the fan base bought in and win plenty of games this year, and it will be an exciting season. 

OTOH, if they feel spent after getting the W, and deflated about losing Ullmark, they'll mail it in and the doubts will be prevalent and justified.

LW C RW Forwards
Claude Giroux
Claude Giroux

Rating: 77.8#9 LW

Kevin Hayes
Kevin Hayes

Rating: 75.4#31 C

Joel Farabee
Joel Farabee

Rating: 72.4#63 RW

FL1 Rating
Rating: 75.21#19 FL1
Oskar Lindblom
Oskar Lindblom

Rating: 72.8#50 LW

Morgan Frost
Morgan Frost
Travis Konecny
Travis Konecny

Rating: 76.5#20 RW

FL2 Rating
Rating: 73.83#15 FL2
James van Riemsdyk
James van Riemsdyk

Rating: 74.9#28 LW

Nolan Patrick
Nolan Patrick

Rating: 71.1#108 C

Jakub Voracek
Jakub Voracek

Rating: 77.0#14 RW

FL3 Rating
Rating: 74.35#1 FL3
Michael Raffl
Michael Raffl

Rating: 70.6#106 LW

Scott Laughton
Scott Laughton

Rating: 72.5#58 C

Nicolas Aube-Kubel
Nicolas Aube-Kubel

Rating: 72.6#67 RW

FL4 Rating
Rating: 71.92#5 FL4
Defensive Pairings Defense
Ivan Provorov
Ivan Provorov

Rating: 76.3#8 LD

Justin Braun
Justin Braun

Rating: 71.8#68 RD

DL1 Rating
Rating: 74.01#20 DL1
Travis Sanheim
Travis Sanheim

Rating: 74.8#20 LD

Philippe Myers
Philippe Myers

Rating: 73.1#3 RD

DL2 Rating
Rating: 73.94#8 DL2
Robert Hagg
Robert Hagg

Rating: 71.3#79 LD

Erik Gustafsson
Erik Gustafsson

Rating: 72.9#43 RD

I think they'll come out strong and even up their record.  I also think Risto is going to have a few things to say to Aube-Kubel after that cheap shot on Dahlin at the end of last night's game.

Go Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1

Now this, THIS is a big test. How they play tonight will go a looong way in many fans eyes. I pray they will not be content with last night and come out tonight with as much determination to change the whole narrative on this team as they did last night. Use the Dahlin hit for motivation if need be. Not sure what goaltending will look like but figure it out fast.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Now this, THIS is a big test. How they play tonight will go a looong way in many fans eyes. I pray they will not be content with last night and come out tonight with as much determination to change the whole narrative on this team as they did last night. Use the Dahlin hit for motivation if need be. Not sure what goaltending will look like but figure it out fast.

Prolly gonna be a very defensive game from both sides unfort, kind of like 2nd game vs Caps.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, mphs mike said:

Brought me back to the final home game in 1972 when Gerry Meehan scored in the final seconds to knock Philly out of the playoffs

I’m still sore about the 2011 playoff series. They pushed us all around the ice and camped out in front of our net the entire series. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I think they'll come out strong and even up their record.  I also think Risto is going to have a few things to say to Aube-Kubel after that cheap shot on Dahlin at the end of last night's game.

Go Sabres.

Dahlin should probably be the one to have a few things to say to Aube-Kubel. Either that or he should pack up his balls and donate em to someone else.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.