Ullmark taking a leave of absence?

I-90 W

6 hours ago, Curt said:

Sounds to me like possibly someone close to Ullmark over in Sweden is very ill (or something along those lines) and Ullmark is trying to decide if he needs to fly over there to be with them right now.  I hope everything is fine, but I don’t get a good feeling from this.

That's the first impression I got as well.  Obviously speculation, but it makes sense with all the given quotes.

Linus seems like such a kind and genuine guy, I hope all is well for him and his family.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Curt said:

Sounds to me like possibly someone close to Ullmark over in Sweden is very ill (or something along those lines) and Ullmark is trying to decide if he needs to fly over there to be with them right now.  I hope everything is fine, but I don’t get a good feeling from this.

This would be my guess.  If it were a death, usually there's not much to 'sleep on'; it's just take a game or two, then come back.  Something longer-term, especially if far away, would take more thought on how to handle.

9 hours ago, Zamboni said:

When in doubt, wait to hear it from a secondary or third credible (key word) source before believing or wondering about if it’s true. Just a thought.

The article included an official tweet from the team that JJ was being called up from the taxi squad, and that Ullmark was out last night for personal reasons. There was already verified smoke when I posted this. 

34 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

The article included an official tweet from the team that JJ was being called up from the taxi squad, and that Ullmark was out last night for personal reasons. There was already verified smoke when I posted this. 

It really not that big of a deal, but keep in mind that this is a relatively common strategy for these rumors sites.  Take a small bit of reputable information, make a logical leap from there, and report that speculation as if they're in the know without actually having additional information.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, carpandean said:

This would be my guess.  If it were a death, usually there's not much to 'sleep on'; it's just take a game or two, then come back.  Something longer-term, especially if far away, would take more thought on how to handle.

If he has to go back to Sweden, there could be a quarantine period once he returns, which could be a couple weeks. So he may be out for awhile.

The "sleep on it" remark from RaKru is what is sticking with me.

Because if there's an acute illness or immediate need with his family to which he must attend (wife, kids, parents (?)), then there's no sleeping on it -- off you go. Sleeping on it seems to imply other things.

I expect Hutton to start tonight since they had a 3 day break before last nights game, and another 3 day break after tonight.  

I also expect Hutton to have a big game to prove he is 100% back to form.  It's a bit silly that people are still giving him a hard time about a undiagnosed medical issue that severely impacted his play last year.  It's a new season and he looked ok in Game 1 ,and solid in Game 3.  Hopefully he keeps building on that.

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!

14 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

I expect Hutton to start tonight since they had a 3 day break before last nights game, and another 3 day break after tonight.  

I also expect Hutton to have a big game to prove he is 100% back to form.  It's a bit silly that people are still giving him a hard time about a undiagnosed medical issue that severely impacted his play last year.  It's a new season and he looked ok in Game 1 ,and solid in Game 3.  Hopefully he keeps building on that.

Love the optimism but oh no he di'int.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Love the optimism but oh no he di'int.

You are right. In the first game he didn't look sharp. The best one can say that he was adequate and couldn't rise to the occasion. But the team in front of him was grossly sloppy and disjointed. That shouldn't have been surprising for a team that hadn't played in almost a year. Although the Sabres lost the second game to the Capitals they played much better, and in my opinion at worst matched the Capitals or at best outplayed them in a losing effort. I don't want to get carried away from the first game in Philly because that dominating game against them might not translate into meaning anything other than beating an opponent that wasn't ready to play when the puck was dropped. As you well know those clunker games happen to all teams. 

I thought Hutton played well yesterday. He was solid in a very non-challenging game. I'm not as down on him as most are. As I have stated before if he is used judiciously he will be more than adequate as a #2 goalie. If he is used as a heavy duty goalie, even as a #2 backup, then the organization has something to worry about. 

Needless to say it is still very early in the season, a very unique season with a challenging compressed schedule in a newly created tough conference.  Although we have only won one game out of three the Sabres did play well in two of those games. What's my takeaway? I don't know!

• Like (+1) 1

I hope that everything is ok for Ullmark and his family.  

My guess is an illness is involved.  The sleep on it comment must involve going back to Sweden.  With the Covid quarantine rules, my guess is Ullmark could be gone a month or more if he leaves the team.  

Our team needs some better karma.

8 minutes ago, Shootica said:

I don't want to speak too soon here, but hopefully this means whatever happened was more of a scare than a serious situation for Linus.

To Ralph’s comment about the hit, I don’t know how many times we have to go through the same process without everyone just saying, “NHL gonna NHL”. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Because if there's an acute illness or immediate need with his family to which he must attend (wife, kids, parents (?)), then there's no sleeping on it -- off you go. Sleeping on it seems to imply other things.

I think the "Sleep on it" remark was in regards to what Linus wants released to the public regarding the situation.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Curt said:

Yeah, this seems like a reasonable possibility. 

5 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Scenario- grandparent or parent is gravely ill.  Not sure if he could even get there before the relative passed, but would want to be there for the funeral at least... trading that off quarantine period(s).  It's a hard decision to make, and it will take time to buy plane tix, etc., so no one wants to say anything until he decides.

Family politics could enter into it, so it's just a tough decision.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.