Ullmark taking a leave of absence?

I-90 W

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Hasn't the opt-out deadline passed for all NHL players? I recall something about that deadline being one date for the non-playoff teams, and then slightly later for the playoff teams. In all events, the dates were in late December 2020.

Might be an exception for a family emergency.  

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

In that event, I feel like they would be back in the realm of how personal leaves for family medical emergencies are handled under the CBA/player's contract.

Covid makes everything different.  I'm not sure what the quarantine rules are, but if he returns to Sweden for a family emergency, he may have to quarantine when he gets there and may have to quarantine again when he returns.  This could end up being a season long process depending on how long the emergency with his family lasts.

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Like i said, I think he was considering opting out. Just a guess. 

If he opts out now, once the season has started, they might not want him back next year.   Of course it would depend on the reason why but there are scenarios where I could see the them moving on.  Especially with the Sabres talking about building a culture like the Bills have.   Uhlmark leaving could lead to another lost season.    I hope not, and I hope things work out for him.  

55 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Covid makes everything different.  I'm not sure what the quarantine rules are, but if he returns to Sweden for a family emergency, he may have to quarantine when he gets there and may have to quarantine again when he returns.  This could end up being a season long process depending on how long the emergency with his family lasts.

It's true, of course, that these are unprecedented times. I'm just not sure the opt-out window would be re-opened to address this situation. If he were looking to take a personal leave - and the timing associated with that leave is protracted because of the pandemic - then he and the team (and maybe the league) would have some sorting out to do.

I had expected some more context by this time today.

49 minutes ago, inkman said:

The amount of unwarranted speculation in this thread in what could be a deeply troubling and personal matter is distasteful.  

I don't anyone is being disrespectful at all.  Actually it sounds like people are trying to be supportive and just figure out how a situation like this gets handled in the new COVID world of ours.  Asking about quarantine or opt out rules isn't disrespectful, nor is hoping everything will be OK.  

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, inkman said:

The amount of unwarranted speculation in this thread in what could be a deeply troubling and personal matter is distasteful.  

If it is a “deeply troubling and personal matter” then the leaking of it is what is distasteful. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Hasn't the opt-out deadline passed for all NHL players? I recall something about that deadline being one date for the non-playoff teams, and then slightly later for the playoff teams. In all events, the dates were in late December 2020.

They wouldn't stop a player. Just ask Berglund. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

It did, I think it was back before Christmas, but maybe they still can but have some penalties like they don't get paid, or they don't get a year of credit? In Kane's bankruptcy filing which was apparently filed in early January, it noted that he could opt out of the season, even though the deadline had passed.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

I wonder if and when we’ll get a true answer as to why he’s not playing. It can’t be visa issues. Maybe he was around someone who had COVID so he quarantines for a week or so out of caution to his fellow league players. 

I keep going back to this, but I like to because it's a way better scenario than the other - my gut says there's a little too much "wait and see", from what I can tell, for this to be a critical situation at home. That's what I am hoping for, first and foremost, nothing else really matters. 

My guess is that he was considering an opt-out for most of the others reasons we've seen players go that route. He has a young family, and remember, the Sabres didn't play during any of the Covid stuff last year. It may just be an experience he's not up for. 

COVID exposures are publicized as per the Return to Play Agreement. Injuries are also reported through standard channels.

Something upsetting or traumatic has happened to him or someone within his close circle and the team is giving him some time to deal with it on his own schedule. Whatever it is has not resulted in him immediately leaving the team for Buffalo or Sweden. I suspect he will either play this weekend or take some kind of leave of absence.

On 1/19/2021 at 5:46 PM, Pimlach said:

If it is a “deeply troubling and personal matter” then the leaking of it is what is distasteful. 

What's remarkable and even admirable is that even though the organization and even some members of the press know what the issue is for Ullmark it hasn't so far to my knowledge been leaked.  

• Like (+1) 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.