Hall's philosophy on hits: only when necessary?

PASabreFan

”That’s a tough hit,” Taylor Hall told the media. “[Staal’s] not even a really dangerous player at that point when he has the puck, so for their guy to go after him and make contact with his jaw like that, it’s not something that you want to see.”‘

Not sure how to interpret the quote. Is his problem with the illegal hit/outcome or, as suggested, does he have a problem with a strong center ice hit when the player presents no "danger" (of scoring, I guess, or making a breakaway pass or something).

A player poised to dump the puck in is dangerous enough in my book. To think otherwise is not playing the game of hockey, at least as we've always known it.

It all goes to something a lot more disturbing to the average fan of a certain age of a certain team. How bad do they really want to win? As much as we do?

• Like (+1) 1

Do people view Hall as a finesse or “soft” player?

I’ve always thought that he played a fast, strong, aggressive game.  A real competitor.  Generally going all out and occasionally going almost too far.

Is this not how everyone feels about him?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’d be thrilled if he blasted Tom Wilson into Angola 

Tom Wilson had Sabres scared last night. Ray was bad "hutts had a good game", but at least he called Reinhart out for avoiding him / the front of the net.  On the whole I think this is the #1 missing piece from our top 6.  Tavares, Ovechkin, Marchand, Giroux, Crosby all play with more moxy than any our our "stars".  They truly lead their teams.  Here's to Hall being that guy, but tbh not what I expected.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Tom Wilson had Sabres scared last night. Ray was bad "hutts had a good game", but at least he called Reinhart out for avoiding him / the front of the net.  On the whole I think this is the #1 missing piece from our top 6.  Tavares, Ovechkin, Marchand, Giroux, Crosby all play with more moxy than any our our "stars".  They truly lead their teams.  Here's to Hall being that guy, but tbh not what I expected.

I don't know what Ray was watching, but I distinctly remember Wilson trying to goad Reinhart into a penalty after a whistle and Reinhart just being perfectly stone-faced until Wilson let go of his arm/stick/whatever it was.  I was seriously proud of the kid at that moment.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't know what Ray was watching, but I distinctly remember Wilson trying to goad Reinhart into a penalty after a whistle and Reinhart just being perfectly stone-faced until Wilson let go of his arm/stick/whatever it was.  I was seriously proud of the kid at that moment.

My (and Ray's I guess) view was that Reinhart should have been between Wilson and the net. Instead he was on the outside and poked around half-heartedly.  And yeah Wilson is scary and would destroy him, but do something ffs, goad Wilson into the penalty!

36 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I didn't see Wilson as a factor at all last night.

Also, did Kuznetsov even play?

The Caps have more to give and the Sabres need to be ready.

Can't afford to be getting swept in any of these endless back-to-backs.

Well he was laying on the ice for Olofsson's goal, hehe.  Perhaps I'm compensating for my envy, as I think we need this type of player desperately.  Will be watching again tonight, the little things, ie: Sabres getting rid of the puck early, avoiding a battle, etc.

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

As would I, BUT nobody on this team would take on Wilson. Just like Lucic and Miller, if Wilson ran over one of our guys there might be a little pushy shovey but we do not have the guy to stand up to the big boys. 

For some reason, I feel like Lazar is crazy enough to do it.  I’m not sure why.  Maybe because he ate a hamburger off the ice.

Just now, Curt said:

For some reason, I feel like Lazar is crazy enough to do it.  I’m not sure why.  Maybe because he ate a hamburger off the ice.

Agreed.  Wondering if Sheahan has it in him.  Hasn’t shown it to this point in his career.  I think Irwin might go.  Borgen might actually seek him out.  He cray cray. 

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

”That’s a tough hit,” Taylor Hall told the media. “[Staal’s] not even a really dangerous player at that point when he has the puck, so for their guy to go after him and make contact with his jaw like that, it’s not something that you want to see.”‘

Not sure how to interpret the quote. Is his problem with the illegal hit/outcome or, as suggested, does he have a problem with a strong center ice hit when the player presents no "danger" (of scoring, I guess, or making a breakaway pass or something).

A player poised to dump the puck in is dangerous enough in my book. To think otherwise is not playing the game of hockey, at least as we've always known it.

It all goes to something a lot more disturbing to the average fan of a certain age of a certain team. How bad do they really want to win? As much as we do?

My reading for what it's worth, him saying "not EVEN" is more being used as added evidence for why it was a dirty hit. There wasn't even that mitigating the play, it wasn't what he perceived to be a dangerous situation where someone making an urgent play could get caught up in the moment. 

"Dude, he wasn't even a threat at that point, why are you taking such a particularly aggressive line?!"

Just now, inkman said:

Agreed.  Wondering if Sheahan has it in him.  Hasn’t shown it to this point in his career.  I think Irwin might go.  Borgen might actually seek him out.  He cray cray. 

It’s why we desperately needed Will in the lineup.   Ralph is in way over his head. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

lol, I do like the effort Lazar brings to games (to make up for his lack of skill) but I doubt even he'd do that. I'm not sure anyone on our team could handle Ovie in a fight let alone a beast like Wilson. 

Just now, Thorny said:

My reading for what it's worth, him saying "not EVEN" is more being used as added evidence for why it was a dirty hit. There wasn't even that mitigating the play, it wasn't what he perceived to be a dangerous situation where someone making an urgent play could get caught up in the moment. 

"Dude, he wasn't even a threat at that point, why are you taking such a particularly aggressive line?!"

I’d really love to be on the other side of the ice for these.   Sabres always being the bitch.  

Will Borgen, you’re our only hope.  

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

Borgen definitely.  I’m not a big fighting guy, but in any sort of physical encounter, it never hurts to have a couple guys on your side who are just that special kind of crazy

IMO ... Putting any stock in Borgen being so physical that it will affect (positively) another team from being as physical because big bad Borgen is on the ice ... is a bit premature. Just a touch. And at the NHL level, it may take him 2-3 years before he starts to throw meaningful hits aka “Wilson style”. Not to mention at the NHL level, he may never get anywhere near “Wilson level” of physicality. Let alone the super rare occasion of a fight.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.