GDT: 1/15/21 7pm ET Washington @ Buffalo - FREE GAME ON NHL.com

MODO Hockey

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Huh. I.... guess Mitts and Asplund aren't better offensive-minded centers between Olofsson and Reinhart --- allowing Sheahen to continue to focus on the bottom six and getting cohesive with his own line?

We don't have any offensive minded centers after Staal that RK is willing to play.  Honestly, I'm not sure either Mitts or Cozens are ready for that job.  I want to see them lower in the lineup to see how things are going before throwing them to the wolves.

Lazar would have been my choice over Sheahan, but neither is actually a good choice.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, inkman said:

Not having a respectable plan if Staal doesn’t work out, through injury or performance is pretty damning for GMKA.   

Pretty sure the expectation was that if Staal did break it wouldn't be in the 1st game before any of the kids had any time to show any propensity to cover that role.

But, it would seem plausible that somebody above the 14th forward on the depth chart when camp opened was the backup plan at 2C should something go wrong.

47 minutes ago, inkman said:

Not having a respectable plan if Staal doesn’t work out, through injury or performance is pretty damning for GMKA.   

How many teams have a spare middle 6 C ?  Perhaps a few, but not many.  Personally, I think I’d play Eakin there rather than Sheahan.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Brawndo said:

Staal is on the ice for warmups

Glad he’s doing okay but that was as underwhelming a debut as I can remember.  

Just now, inkman said:

Glad he’s doing okay but that was as underwhelming a debut as I can remember.  

And we had to live with Dahlin’s rookie gaffs!!

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Did the NHL sanction the washington player for the hit? didn't see much on it.

Because it’s the NHL.   Sanction?  They just blame Staal for not playing with his head up.  

Expecting the DoPS to do anything remotely close to acceptable is a losing proposition. 

15 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

hockey-washington-capitals-bruce-cowick- 

Imagine if Ralp Kreuger wasnt in charge of who plays where. 

The lines need to change. Rapidly.

Hall - Eichel - Olofsson
Skinner - Staal - Reinhart
Reider - Eakin - Cozens
Asplund - Lazar - Sheahan 

I actually like this idea. I'm not sure about Sheahan over Okposo and Thompson was far from our worst player so he should be in there somewhere but I think we have to play Staal with Skinner and sink or swim with it. MAYBE Skinner just practices poorly and has a holier than thou attitude there so Ralph stubbornly feels the need to assert dominance? We are stuck with Skinner so we have to find a role for him. We simply have no choice and Ralph has to realize that.

Another out of left field idea:

Hall-Eichel-Thompson

Olofsson-Reinhart-Cozens (RW and C can switch once Cozens is ready)

Skinner-Staal-Sheahan/Okposo

Reider-Eakin-Lazar

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.