GDT: 1/15/21 7pm ET Washington @ Buffalo - FREE GAME ON NHL.com

MODO Hockey

Just now, spndnchz said:

Bush league hit

It’s the NHL.  Everything I expected to see, I did.  The Sabres have literally made me hate the game of hockey.  I can’t stand it.  We have two top 50 players, a consensus number one overall pick and talent sprinkled up and down the lineup and they looked akin to the tank teams.  What’s the point of any of this crap any more.  

• Like (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, SwampD said:

So, is he at least getting a phone call?

16 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Dowd the Caps Player will not receive any further punishment as there is no proof that Staal’s Head was the intended point of contact 

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Intended or principal? Does intent play into it?

Not sure why anyone even blinks an eye with the DoPS.  They’ve established a protocol.  They don’t actually care about player safety due to some code by the old guard about keeping your head up, protecting yourself, blah blah blah.  This crap is indoctrinated into these guys from the time they learn how to skate.  It’s never going to change.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I hope the team has its legs under them.  They looked like they hadn't played a real game in 10 months and, to quote Foghorn Leghorn, were "sharp as a bowling ball."  Some of the goals looked like a puck carrier looked up and thought, "Oh, $#!+!  Too fast!  Get rid of it!"

35 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Dowd the Caps Player will not receive any further punishment as there is no proof that Staal’s Head was the intended point of contact 

There really needs to be an angry emoji for the reactions.  That is infuriating.  Except for location on the ice, that's the exact same hit that got 2 games in Colorado.

1 minute ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I hope the team has its legs under them.  They looked like they hadn't played a real game in 10 months and, to quote Foghorn Leghorn, were "sharp as a bowling ball."  Some of the goals looked like a puck carrier looked up and thought, "Oh, $#!+!  Too fast!  Get rid of it!"

Yeah well guess who's job it was to have them ready to play?   They way they looked tells me the past two weeks weren't intense enough... That shoulda been plenty of time to get them up to game speed.   It looks like they coasted though the last 2 weeks.   There shoulda been bag skates, battle drills, etc with RK pushing the pace as hard as he can... If anybody listened to Eichel on spittin chicklets last week it sounded like they had an easy camp.... disappointing.

• MODO Hockey changed the title to GDT: 1/15/21 7pm ET Washington @ Buffalo - FREE GAME ON NHL.com
30 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Yeah well guess who's job it was to have them ready to play?   They way they looked tells me the past two weeks weren't intense enough... That shoulda been plenty of time to get them up to game speed.   It looks like they coasted though the last 2 weeks.   There shoulda been bag skates, battle drills, etc with RK pushing the pace as hard as he can... If anybody listened to Eichel on spittin chicklets last week it sounded like they had an easy camp.... disappointing.

It's pretty much this. The Caps were 41-20-whatever last season and won their division (the bulk of this new division). xTheir main offseason change was to ditch their Hutton equivalent (Holtby's done) and go with the up-and-coming kid. They also lost their Holtby replacement, but they'll lean on Samsonov all year or trade for someone once a team sputters.

They're better than the Sabres. They're more experienced. Talent isn't going to do anything. They're cohesive with minimal turnover. We have to outwork them early in the season until our team jells. We have to be battling and be more aggressive and attacking to have a chance. The opening weekend is the preseason, but that's no excuse to not outwork them.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I don't think that is possible.  There is nothing like game intensity.  It is natural to go just that little bit lighter in practise where you are playing against teammates.  And the longer you are off, the duller you get and the more time you need to get up to speed.  This is why they should have let the teams who missed the playoffs to have a brief extra preseason -- which they promised and went back on.

This is one reason I never like it when the Sabres win a series when they will have at least week's layoff.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

And the steaming pile one.

They never had one of those for reactions here.  Misremembering is often a troubling sign of cognitive decline in those beyond a certain age.  Perhaps you should discuss such matters with your gerontologist.  😉

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.