Dylan Cozens - What will his impact be this season?

GASabresIUFAN

I'm drawing a stupid, illogical amount of hope from the fact that our fast starts recently were followed by a collapse, meaning this year the slow start means a take off coming soon. 

Reasons contributing to the liklihood of that happening are incredibly slim and frivolous, so it's definitely a fool's hope based on not much more than wishing. 

2 hours ago, inkman said:

It’s been a slow steady build. I want to read or hear one thing that makes me feel good about this team.  Just one. Krueger’s voice makes me want to barf.  Jack sounds like a lifeless robot going through the motions until he can get traded.  Dahlin, oh boy.  

I had hope this season.  It was squashed so immediately that I’m reeling.  They need a back up goalie and one ***** defenseman they can count on.   They have none.  They all suck.  All of them.  Ralph keeps trotting the same bozos out there in the same combos.  

Do something Ralph.  Yell at someone.  Bench Skinner, Dahlin and for gods sake Hutton.  Give your team a chance. 

This game came just in time for you, eh?

3 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

I haven't been able to see any games yet, how has Cozens looked? #Sabres on Twitter seems to say he's playing well and doesn't look out of place. This a true statement?

Yes. If you had elevated unrealistic high expectations of a rookie…  then he’s probably not doing well for you. if you had realistic basic expectations of a rookie ... he’s fine. He doesn’t look out of place. He’s not making terrible mistakes all over the ice. And he’s showing flashes of talent several times a game.

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Yes. If you had elevated unrealistic high expectations of a rookie…  then he’s probably not doing well for you. if you had realistic basic expectations of a rookie ... he’s fine. He doesn’t look out of place. He’s not making terrible mistakes all over the ice. And he’s showing flashes of talent several times a game.

He looks almost exactly like what I thought. I think he would look better if he had better linemates, he isn't ready to create offense on his own yet. 

• Like (+1) 3

‘”The important thing is going to be to monitor the energy and use our depth appropriately,” Krueger said. “So, if at any point in time Dylan plays two of three games or three of four, and we get a little rotation going – I’ve mentioned this to you already in the preseason that that could happen. Three forwards share two spots for a stretch. It’s going to be very important to get that right, and then it’s not easy because we’ve never quite been in this territory before. But a scratch of a Dylan in the future or of any of our other evolving players shouldn’t be a surprise to anybody.”

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

‘”The important thing is going to be to monitor the energy and use our depth appropriately,” Krueger said. “So, if at any point in time Dylan plays two of three games or three of four, and we get a little rotation going – I’ve mentioned this to you already in the preseason that that could happen. Three forwards share two spots for a stretch. It’s going to be very important to get that right, and then it’s not easy because we’ve never quite been in this territory before. But a scratch of a Dylan in the future or of any of our other evolving players shouldn’t be a surprise to anybody.”

This seems smart.  I don’t think NHL teams rest players enough in general.

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So Tage, not Dylan is the “evolving player” being rested.

Looks that way.

He had a weaker 3 games than Cozens did, so it makes sense that he's the odd man out.  But his best game of the 3 was last night.  

Pretty sure they'd told guys that a change would be coming tonight even before yesterday's game.

Still curious who went down to the taxi squad to make room for Asplund.

Edited by Taro T

12 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Getting back into the Sabres now that the Bills are over...only have seen the NYR game last night but Cozens looked pretty good. What's everyone's thoughts on him? Does he make it past the 9 games? 

Separately, has Quinn played yet?

Quinn has not played.  I would a little surprised if he does.

Cozens has very been good for a rookie.  No/few glaring mistakes, and occasional high quality plays.  He looks like he belongs.

Because this is a shorter season, it’s not 9 games, it’s 6 this year.  Cozens is at 6 right now, his next game will put him over.  He is staying up.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

Getting back into the Sabres now that the Bills are over...only have seen the NYR game last night but Cozens looked pretty good. What's everyone's thoughts on him? Does he make it past the 9 games? 

Separately, has Quinn played yet?

This year, it's 6 games, and yes, he stays & plays Thursday.

Quinn has not played yet & very likely might not even get 1 game unless they have several injuries.

• 4 weeks later...

From Buffalo News today: 

Waiting game

Cozens, a 20-year-old rookie, told the media following the morning skate that he feels “really good” after his stay on the Covid-19 protocol list. The former first-round draft pick did not have symptoms, but NHL protocols prevented him from working out.

Cozens is accustomed to the quarantine process. He estimated that he has spent approximately 35 days alone in a hotel room since Hockey Canada’s camp in Red Deer, Alberta, ahead of the IIHF World Junior Championship.

“Yeah, I was adding up the days and since I think like November 25th, I’ve quarantined like 35 days or something, just in a hotel room,” Cozens said. “So, it’s been a lot for sure. It’s just something I’ve learned to deal with. You know, it is what it is. I was obviously disappointed when I found out I tested positive and had to do it again. But it’s just something you’ve got to battle and now I kind of don’t have to worry about it for a while.”

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.