GDT: 1/14/21 7pm ET Washington at Buffalo, MSG, ESPN+, WGR

jsb

28 minutes ago, Radar said:

Get used to it. This is a money machine as are most sports. My brother actually no longer watches football because of all the ads. He just got fed up with them. Hockey if it goes the way of the NFL I just may stop watching altogether. I only watch the Sabres as is.

15 minutes ago, inkman said:

Head up to folks complaining about Ads. The commissioner stated all the teams will be losing money without fans in attendance.  Don’t expect the Ads to go away.  If anything, they will get worse. It’s this or no hockey.  Take your pick. 

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I don't care about ads. I just think they need to figure out a better way to put them on the screen without giving me vertigo.

Swamp has nailed it.  Have a banner at the bottom all game, fine; just stop with the zooming in and out.  They've already had ads next to the score clock for about forever and I don't care about that, either.

21 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Swamp has nailed it.  Have a banner at the bottom all game, fine; just stop with the zooming in and out.  They've already had ads next to the score clock for about forever and I don't care about that, either.

It’s the NHL.  They get it wrong 10 times out of 10.  

• Like (+1) 2

Throughout the broadcast they kept telling us how well Hutton was playing.  Guess the plan was, if people hear it often enough they'll believe it rather than their own eyes.  Hutton is a small (by NHL standards) who relies on his cross crease movement & reflexes to be effective.  Both were there at the beginning of his 2 prior seasons in Buffalo.  They weren't there in the scrimmage & they weren't there last night.  He had 2 very good saves, both of which were Caps shooters hitting the top of his shoulder pads (Backstrom in the 1st, not sure who late in the game shortly after the Sabres got it back to a 1 goal game) which are positioning saves & not his bread & butter.  He didn't give up any BAD goals, but "good Hutton" would've stopped at least 2 of: the 1st 2 goals & the Staal giveaway.  He stopped none of them & the team never could overcome the slow 1st period.

Skinner played well for the most part but probably could've helped more on the goal he was out against.  Cozens gave good effort - his whole line did. 

The 1 D-man that came to play was the 1 many of us weren't sure should be in the lineup.  But he's the guy that fed the puck up to Staal on the middle of the ice side of Staal which was likely part of the cause of that awful turnover.

Thompson was great along the boards battling for the puck - his play keeping the puck in at the blue line created the McCabe goal and he sprung the 2 on 1 of Hall & Eichel that eventually rang off the post.  But, he still has issues carrying the puck.

Expect that Hall & Eichel will be special soon.  Even with not clicking, they had a goal & 2 assists and were a post away from another of both.

Sheahan was better than expected (not sure if that's him playing well or the reviewer underestimating him 😉 ).

On NHL Network they talked about how the non-bubble teams might have a hard time e getting g the energy level up w/ no fans in the stands for the 1st time. That was accurate in the Sabres case, though not clear if it was merely a correlation.

Throw that one in the garbage can & try again tonight.  Maybe the dinnertime start will have them hungrier.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Trettioåtta said:

Risto looked good. Not a perfect game but some very nice plays.

Just want to say all the progress from last year seems to have slipped away over the last months. Totally undisciplined and running all over constantly. Caught out of position on numerous occasions. Yes, he made SOME good plays, he is a skilled hockey player, but at this stage you simply can't have a wild reckless run around D man unless you have a full team around him with solid disciplined guys to cover for him, and we don't. 

Edited by PerreaultForever

The ads moving the screen two directions at the same time made me sick. They need to ditch one of the vertical or horizontal bars entirely and it’d be an acceptable evil. Both at the same time, sliding, is painful to watch

The NFL only pulls it off because they do it instantly during screen transition. So it’s not jarring. When I’m trying to track the puck and it’s moving multiple directions it’s sickening. The NHL equivalent would be after whistles before next face off when it’s not TV timeout time.  But they’re too greedy for that. 

Edited by triumph_communes

I'd be relectant to trade Reinhart considering the fit w/our best player. 

I don't think we could pry Dubois for something I'd pay unless they took a couple firsts and yet to play in the NHL prospects. 

Edited by Thorny

I still really like our forwards up top. It's play pushing depth players we could use a couple more of. I think a combination of rust and Ralph's lines is doing them a bit of a disservice. 

The real issue is to open up offence, which everyone knew we needed to do, Ralph's system that did a v. good job limiting chances can't function that way anymore. I still maintain our actual D roster is not that good, that it was masked somewhat by the system. I'd add a stalwart puck moving D before Dubois, and I like Dubois. 

Obviously back up GT an issue too. 

I mean like I said though if we can get Dubois for picks, do it. 

Edited by Thorny

On 1/15/2021 at 11:47 AM, inkman said:

Head up to folks complaining about Ads. The commissioner stated all the teams will be losing money without fans in attendance.  Don’t expect the Ads to go away.  If anything, they will get worse. It’s this or no hockey.  Take your pick. 

I mean, I will absolutely willfully choose to not watch the game so I guess it won't matter if there is hockey or not at that point.

On 1/15/2021 at 11:57 AM, SwampD said:

I don't care about ads. I just think they need to figure out a better way to put them on the screen without giving me vertigo.

And it's 100% this.  You want to put ads up, superimpose them on the blue tarps sitting in the lower 100s just like baseball teams do with the signs behind the batter.

Stop shrinking the screen.. it really does bother me and not just psychologically but physically when the screen moves like that trying to watch the game.

58 minutes ago, LTS said:

I mean, I will absolutely willfully choose to not watch the game so I guess it won't matter if there is hockey or not at that point.

And it's 100% this.  You want to put ads up, superimpose them on the blue tarps sitting in the lower 100s just like baseball teams do with the signs behind the batter.

Stop shrinking the screen.. it really does bother me and not just psychologically but physically when the screen moves like that trying to watch the game.

I’ve gotten so used to watching online streams from questionable sources that I hardly noticed the ads.

Adding crowd noise is fundamentally dishonest, but I think I can live with it. But it also seems they are delaying the video by a half second, making the audio a bit ahead. This gives the impression that Rick and Dan can call a goal the millisecond the puck crosses the goal line, and we know neither one is that good (anymore; Rick could in his prime, probably). That I find to be a bridge too far. Also — the horn is too quick and it smothers the goal call until they tone down the sound (help me Swamp).

The broadcast and the team sucking? They're consistent, gotta give 'em that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I’ve gotten so used to watching online streams from questionable sources that I hardly noticed the ads.

Ding ding ding 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Adding crowd noise is fundamentally dishonest, but I think I can live with it. But it also seems they are delaying the video by a half second, making the audio a bit ahead. This gives the impression that Rick and Dan can call a goal the millisecond the puck crosses the goal line, and we know neither one is that good (anymore; Rick could in his prime, probably). That I find to be a bridge too far. Also — the horn is too quick and it smothers the goal call until they tone down the sound (help me Swamp).

The broadcast and the team sucking? They're consistent, gotta give 'em that.

If there's a goal call at all when the other team scores I assume it's pre-recorded audio if Dunleavy is on the call 

Watching the Capitals vs Penguins game

Penguins have no offense and their goals are flukes. Washington controlling the play. Penguins mostly running an umbrella PP. Penguins PK they are all standing like statues. 

We looked better than the Penguins, with the caveat of the finishing bounces not going our way

Some people need to calm the hell down 

8 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Watching the Capitals vs Penguins game

Penguins have no offense and their goals are flukes. Washington controlling the play. Penguins mostly running an umbrella PP. Penguins PK they are all standing like statues. 

We looked better than the Penguins, with the caveat of the finishing bounces not going our way

Some people need to calm the hell down 

The difficult thing is we are 3 points out of a playoff spot after 2 games. The 4th place team has garnered 3 out of 4 possible points. 

With all these 3 point games, in division, it shows you how important getting to OT is, if you are going to lose. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.