GDT: 1/14/21 7pm ET Washington at Buffalo, MSG, ESPN+, WGR

jsb

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh cool personal attacks because I don't think 9 Kaleta's out there would somehow make us better. 

The attack is that you are posting something you don't believe ("trolling" "fake outrage"). Sadly, get used to it. It won't ever be addressed.

• Like (+1) 1

My 2 cents:

- I can understand rustiness and lack of precision given the layoff, but the listlessness and lack of energy and passion was deeply disappointing, especially from their alleged best players, Eichel and Dahlin.

- Dahlin got caught flatfooted in the neutral zone and just grabbed his guy more than once.

- That was bottom-5 NHL goaltending they got last night.  Who could have seen that coming?

- Skinner was their best forward.  I also liked Cozens, TT, Rieder and Sheahan.

- Reino and Staal might be too slow to play together.

- Hall looked pretty decent but the top line was nowhere near what we have been expecting/hoping for. 

- They did look more spirited and generally better in the 3rd period, but the Caps may have taken their foot off the gas.

- Classic loser team move giving up that goal 27 seconds after getting it to 4-3 at the beginning of the 3rd.

- They didn't lose last night because of line combos.  They lost because they played like losers and got bad goaltending.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Cartoon Yes GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Sorry if my post sounded saltier than I meant (I did mean a little bit of salt.)

I just don’t know how you can still believe this after all these years. When even a team like Tampa mentioned over and over during the playoffs that it was the addition of gritty players that got them over the edge. They were always really good. It wasn’t until they got nasty that they won.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Sorry if my post sounded saltier than I meant (I did mean a little bit of salt.)

I just don’t know how you can still believe this after all these years. When even a team like Tampa mentioned over and over during the playoffs that it was the addition of gritty players that got them over the edge. They were always really good. It wasn’t until they got nasty that they won.

Put them over the edge. Okay, what players did they add between flaming out in the first round to winning it all?

Side note, what's Dalton Smith doing, I hear if we add him to the lineup it will light a fire under our guys. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Let's take a step back, I want to talk about Josh Allen for a moment. Allen bleeds red and blue from the moment he wakes up in the morning. He is so competitive that he sometimes goes to far and makes mistakes trying to win. He leads his team by putting himself out there and working with his receivers and complimenting his o-line. He has a personality and he shows you it and he wants his team to show you it. The Bills have character not just because of Allen but he leads the way and Diggs, White, etc... are all a part of that. 

What do the Sabres have? Jack sounds boring when he interviews and clearly isn't the fire up the team type. Hall more of the same. Skinner has some personality but that doesn't seem to matter. I can't name anyone else of interest except Linus Ullmark who clearly has a little something. So what is the point? The point is the Sabres are a rudderless boring group that honestly never shows emotion and when they do here or there, it is stamped out of them. Josh Allen will answer questions honestly and say what didn't work, he is reflective when he speaks and then looks forward. The Sabres? They give the same monotone responses and then go out on the ice and give the same monotone games. The Sabres are boring and that translates to their on ice play.

They simply lack heart. Idk if that is a hockey byproduct or what but they don't look like they are having fun or doing what they love, they look like they are going through the motions. I will say it again, they need heart, miles and miles of heart. 

When Allen fails, it bothers him and he fixes it

When the Sabres fail, they blame a bunch of vague things, barely take responsibility, and then do the same crap the next game. 

Just now, Curt said:

I actually think that Eichel is kind of emotional and vocal and is a fire up the guys kind of guy.

Does anyone remember the way Jack used to talk to the media his first couple seasons, before he got his media polish tuned up?  He is emotional.

Last night he looked like hot garbage. 

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

When Allen fails, it bothers him and he fixes it

When the Sabres fail, they blame a bunch of vague things, barely take responsibility, and then do the same crap the next game. 

Last night he looked like hot garbage. 

Is hot garbage a personality description?

The team was sloppy all over the ice.  I get that Ullmark didn't get much time with the team, but he would have been better than Hutton.  I liked the play of Reider and Hall, they definitely shined in a game full of meh.  The hit on Staal was bush league. 

• Like (+1) 1

I need to say one thing..

If placing ads on the TV is going to be the norm this season (and I am sure it is).. I'm not sure how long I can continue to watch.  It annoyed me to no end each time the screen would resize just so an ad could be shown along the bottom and side (when they switched the sponsor next to the score panel).

Ugh...

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LTS said:

If placing ads on the TV is going to be the norm this season (and I am sure it is).. I'm not sure how long I can continue to watch.  It annoyed me to no end each time the screen would resize just so an ad could be shown along the bottom and side (when they switched the sponsor next to the score panel).

Ugh...

That was absolutely awful.

• Like (+1) 1

We get bored of coaches saying stuff like "hard on the man, and take care of the puck."

• Simple line rush off a neutral zone turnover. Montour basically steps out of Ovechkin's way and waves his stick at him. 1-0 Caps.
  • Hall makes a nice feed to Eichel to set up what should have been a 2-on-1.  Eichel bobbles it, watches it drift slowly to the D, who sends Carlson in on a virtual breakaway as our changing "D" struggles to recover. 3-1 This is minutes after Eichel weakly gives up the puck behind our net for a golden point-blank Caps chance
  • Staal has all the time in the world against a lone forechecker. Instead he slides a lazy pass directly through the slot and onto his stick 5-3.

Those aren't talent issues and they aren't system issues. They are NHL players making soft, beer-league plays. They weren't ready and that's on them.

I fully agree with @LGR4GM's take on accountability. I need to see some tonight.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, LTS said:

Ugh...

11 minutes ago, SwampD said:

That was absolutely awful.

I knew something was bothering me, and I couldn't put my finger on it.  Thank you for identifying the problem.  NOW FIX IT!

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I knew something was bothering me, and I couldn't put my finger on it.  Thank you for identifying the problem.  NOW FIX IT!

Get used to it. This is a money machine as are most sports. My brother actually no longer watches football because of all the ads. He just got fed up with them. Hockey if it goes the way of the NFL I just may stop watching altogether. I only watch the Sabres as is.

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We get bored of coaches saying stuff like "hard on the man, and take care of the puck."

• Simple line rush off a neutral zone turnover. Montour basically steps out of Ovechkin's way and waves his stick at him. 1-0 Caps.
  • Hall makes a nice feed to Eichel to set up what should have been a 2-on-1.  Eichel bobbles it, watches it drift slowly to the D, who sends Carlson in on a virtual breakaway as our changing "D" struggles to recover. 3-1 This is minutes after Eichel weakly gives up the puck behind our net for a golden point-blank Caps chance
  • Staal has all the time in the world against a lone forechecker. Instead he slides a lazy pass directly through the slot and onto his stick 5-3.

Those aren't talent issues and they aren't system issues. They are NHL players making soft, beer-league plays. They weren't ready and that's on them.

I fully agree with @LGR4GM's take on accountability. I need to see some tonight.

Good post.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, LTS said:

Ugh...

100%. Hopefully Uncle Terry was watching and was equally annoyed.  Pass the hat for $5 from each fan and get that crap out there.  Like the helmet ads, they probably doing a solid for the key sponsors given no in-person, but nope, doesn't work, please stop.

9 minutes ago, inkman said:

Head up to folks complaining about Ads. The commissioner stated all the teams will be losing money without fans in attendance.  Don’t expect the Ads to go away.  If anything, they will get worse. It’s this or no hockey.  Take your pick. 

I don't care about ads. I just think they need to figure out a better way to put them on the screen without giving me vertigo.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.