GDT: 1/14/21 7pm ET Washington at Buffalo, MSG, ESPN+, WGR

jsb

59 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Skinner played well, I thought - he created just as much as normally does despite his linemates and finished 7th in ice time. Deserved more. It looks like the theory of him driving offence from the third line is sound. Give him Cozens when KO comes back and we might have something.

Sabres were not ready. They were out of sync, and they didn’t have their legs under them. The only reason it was close was because the same was true for the Caps. Pretty much all the relevant stats for the game were surprisingly equal. Buffalo can and will be better. They are going to need to be a lot better.

Now you know why I have been so vocal about my dislike for RK.  The motivator didn't motivate, his offensive game plan was terrible (why does Rob Ray have to yell at these guys to go to the net) and although he upped Skinner's PT, he didn't play him with competent linemates and didn't get him on the ice well we pulled the goalie to get extra scoring.  I know it's one game, but that was a shameful display on opening night.  If RK can get them going for a new season, then what is he good for?  

We should be giving Skinner Cozens now.  Who cares when KO returns.  Sheahan or Asplund are perfectly capable of playing a checking role.  Skinner needs at least one linemate who has an offense skill set.  If I were the coach, Mitts and Cozens play with Skinner.  Thompson is removed from the PP in favor of Mitts or Cozens.  I'd put Montour and Risto on the second PP and use Risto to screen goalies, like Boston used to with Chara.  I'd leave Thompson with the 1st line for now.  If Staal is seriously hurt, the whole puzzle falls apart.  Neither Cozens or Mitts are likely ready for 2nd line center duty.  Eakin becomes the 2C and we have to rethink this whole lineup.  

We might have to try 

Hall Eichel TT

VO Eakin Reinhart (not my favorite)

Skinner Mitts Cozens

Rieder Lazar Sheahan 

Also KA deserves some blame.  Everyone knew Hutton shouldn't have been back, now we have confirmation that his eyes aren't the problem.  

34 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

In Hutton's defense, I think they actually played him because they wanted to give Ullmark another day since he was late coming to camp.  It could work to Ullmark's benefit, the team can't be worse tomorrow can they?

It's the same ol Sabres, so yes, they can be worse tomorrow. Hopefully Ullmark has a better game that Hutts did.

I heard on the broadcast that Ralph Kreuger is a great guy to talk to. So Razor said. 

All in all not much different from last year. Top line decent, bottom a mess, D can't control the front of the net, goaltending dodgy at best.  Poor slow effort to start, a little jump later, but dumb mistakes and that's all she wrote. We continue like this we will be fighting NJ for dead last in the division.

I hate to say this because he got hit in the head later so not cool to knock a guy when he's literally down, but Staal looked like burnt out trash before that. I am thinking maybe Minnesota knew what they were doing after all. Reinhart without Eichel is trash. Skinner has no place, no role, he's lost and thus also trash. 

On the small positive, Hall was our best player, by far, and Tage looked decent. Cozens looked like he belonged at this level and already goes to the net better than most of this team. 

I was hoping for so much more. Tomorrow, I at least want to see more effort. That was lacking tonight. Oilers bounced back against Canucks with McDavid taking it all on his shoulders. Let's hope Jack does the same. If not, it might be a long sad year. again. 

• Like (+1) 2

One thing this defense is missing is a tough stay at home guy. It seems like they have way too many offensive defenseman. Even Miller when he was on Vegas was an offensive defenseman. They need some toughness on the backend and they need to put Skinner on a different line. Paying Skinner that much not to be in your top 6 is just plain foolish. That contract is gonna Haunt this team for years to come.

Edited by SabresBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

I've been thinking about it, this is what I would do:

Maybe the real dynamic duo is the friends we made along the way. Maybe finkle-einhorn is just a thing. These two really do help each other at even strength. Hall fortifies it into a top line. 

Cozens has me head over heals believing. He's not going to shy away from going to the right areas and doing the right things. I think he's our version of Brayden Point. Maybe we'll call him our best player in a few years. Sorry, I'm been drinking - but as I said he's made a believer out of me. I think we'll be a good team in a few years if Cozens is healthy. Let's just let Skinner score goals for us. Cozens will cover for him now, he's already has the hockey sense. Big body Thompson looks good so he gets a promotion by way of demotion - help Cozens get the puck up ice, hustle on the back check using size and reach to shrink the ice. 

Leave the easier offensive zone starts to the old vet. Sheahan is a glaring need for upgrade (Fast? 😉) but perhaps Sheahan lends a defensive responsibility to that line. Hopefully Stall is ok and that was the worst of his giveaways and we get a half-way decent third line. More reasonable expectations for those on it. 

- - - 

Hall - Eichel - Reinhart

Skinner - Cozens - Thompson

Olofsson - Staal - Sheahan

Rieder - Eakin - Okposo

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Hall - Eichel - Reinhart

Skinner - Cozens - Thompson

Olofsson - Staal - Sheahan

Rieder - Eakin - Okposo

I think Hall only came here if he got to play with Eichel right? He'd be miffed if he got moved? Cause following what I think is your logic reuniting Olofsson Eichel Reinhart makes more sense.  Then Hall Cozens Thompson   followed by Skinner Staal ? maybe Sheahan I guess and the rest.

Cozens isn't ready to drive a 2nd line yet and I don't want to ruin him with too much pressure too fast. and no way do I want him learning from an undisciplined uncoachable left winger. He needs a solid veteran with him. I actually liked him with Eakins myself. 

Edited by PerreaultForever

I think Jack had some pretty wobbly moments too. Also made some magical passes but was not was dominant as usual or as we need.

Dahlin looked bad. Number of bad plays.

Staal - woof.

Risto looked good. Not a perfect game but some very nice plays.

Cozens and his line both looked good.

Hutton - did he make one big save? 

Overall I didn’t hate the game. We looked very rusty and with mis-timings.

Expect better today - 6:2 win

One game after no preseason games and only scrimmages. I'm not making big deal of last night. Hopefully you hold your own for first couple weeks because it will be that long before teams are in game shape. Skinner should be moved up. Hate that contract but he is a scorer and needs to be on our second line if not with Jack and Hall. 

Hall-Eichel-VO

Skinner-Stall-Rinehart

Those players should be top six VO or Rinehart could be switched. I would have a third line of Cousins with TT and ?. At least for now. Having said that players get shifted around during a game so set lines aren't really all that set to begin with.

Edited by Radar
  • Like (+1) 1

Two thoughts ...

On Hutton: Hasn't his MO been to play very well at the start of the season and then fizzle out?  If so, playing him in the first game doesn't seem like it was that bad of an idea.  Keeping him on the roster, though ....

On RK: Maybe the team didn't listen to him enough last year, so to prove a point he basically said, "do it your way tonight."  Now he can say, "How did that work out for you?  Tonight, we do it my way!"

I'm mostly kidding on that second one.  Really, though, with 10 months off, no preseason games and lots of new faces, there was a good chance that it was going to be ugly no matter what he said.  Washington actually played pretty ugly hockey, too, but their big line (Ovie, Backstrom, Oshie), who've all been on the Caps for a long time, actually showed up (plus, Staal gift-wrapped a goal in a one-goal game in the third.)  It's unfortunate that this is a shortened season, because it could take a little bit for them to gel.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

In Hutton's defense, I think they actually played him because they wanted to give Ullmark another day since he was late coming to camp.  It could work to Ullmark's benefit, the team can't be worse tomorrow can they?

one more day makes a difference?

• Like (+1) 1

My takes....

Ugly, ugly 1st period by pretty much everyone.  They looked like they had a 311 day layoff and 50% of the team never played with their linemates before.

I thought Hall looked much more dynamic than Jack.  I need Jack AND Hall to be that dynamic.

Skinner's talent is too valuable to put with plumbers but he's got to adapt to what the rest of the team is doing too.  I don't have an answer, but the guy does make ***** happen. 

Dahlin's D zone game was not very good.  Staal's giveaway in front of the net was troubling.  Risto's critics were justified last night.

Cozens looked to fit on his line.  I don't think he's ready to move into Staal's spot though.  But he looked OK.  Lost alot of puck battles I thought.  Kept right after it though.  He certainly wasn't the worst player out there.

I really hate that teams can lay out guys like Staal and we just don't have an answer.  Not only do we not have a guy to respond, but we also don't have a guy to do in kind.  Wouldn't mind a couple of guys on our team that have the capability of being on the other end of those plays. I think we haven't seen one of our guys concussed for the lat time this season.

PP1 looks like it'll score its share of goals.  My goodness that 1st period goal was a pretty play.

Edited by Weave

I’m going to ignore the Sabres play as I  don’t want to get so angry one game into the year.  

One maddening thing...the removal of the ice level broadcast mics made it impossible to hear the whistles.  I don’t know if this has been a problem in other games around the NHL?

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 2

Caps looked like a team that had been playing together a long time. The Sabres looked like a team that had just been put together and was trying to feel their way forward. 

Sabres were not physical enough at first. They picked it up as the game went on. 

I'm happy they scored four goals. That is a real good sign. 

Cozens looked really good. Physical, willing to stick in nose into the scrum. 

Tage Thompson was impressive. Reminds me of Bobby Smith 

Hutton gave up five goals again. I imagine that is about where his GOA will be for the season if he keeps playing a lot. 

Joki looked bad. He threw the puck away to open spaces a few times and was not the same player as last year, at least in this game. 

Samson and Staal did not do anything notably positive that I saw 

2 minutes ago, steveoath said:

What is RKs plan/system/whatever? We hear the Skinner isn't buying into, but if its shi t should the rest of the team???

Generally it seems he wants players to stay above the puck, aka be between the puck and your own goal. He also appears to want to run the offense from the point down. His d zone is completely unclear to me other than he wants an outlet pass in the center of the ice and along the wall. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I really hate that teams can lay out guys like Staal and we just don't have an answer.  Not only do we not have a guy to respond, but we also don't have a guy to do in kind.  Wouldn't mind a couple of guys on our team that have the capability of being on the other end of those plays. I think we haven't seen one of our guys concussed for the lat time this season.

Agreed.....Its been going on for what seems like an eternity. Washington played like they did not respect whatever physicality we have (next to none). Many argue that you don't need players with toughness as a primary feature of their game in the NHL of today but I disagree on that one.  

1 minute ago, KC Scouts said:

Agreed.....Its been going on for what seems like an eternity. Washington played like they did not respect whatever physicality we have (next to none). Many argue that you don't need players with toughness as a primary feature of their game in the NHL of today but I disagree on that one.  

Because we don't. We lost that game because the team didn't skate hard or really at all. We didn't lose that game because Staal got hit and we didn't concuss one of their guys back. 

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Because we don't. We lost that game because the team didn't skate hard or really at all. We didn't lose that game because Staal got hit and we didn't concuss one of their guys back. 

Your need do defend your stance on this is really funny. I think that someday, you might even believe it yourself.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.