GDT: 1/14/21 7pm ET Washington at Buffalo, MSG, ESPN+, WGR

jsb

Rasmus Dahlin with the 25 minutes to lead the team like we always wanted. You remember that thing about Ralph wanting the team to play with pace? Ras must have read that memo in a mirror. Very disappointing.

Tonight, Risto and Montour looked like the guys the haters see.

Im surprised by the McCabe hate in the thread. Gordie Howe hattie, relatively competent play and one of the few guys pushing.

Miller was pretty good, Joki not so much.

Hutton was Hutton

Skinner played well, I thought - he created just as much as normally does despite his linemates and finished 7th in ice time. Deserved more. It looks like the theory of him driving offence from the third line is sound. Give him Cozens when KO comes back and we might have something.

That is if we don’t need him to save the second line. Reinhart was uneven, and Olofsson was mostly invisible, but Staal was downright awful. The whole line was slow and disrespectful of their competition. They played like they were still scrimmaging.

Jack and Hall are going to be magic once they get their legs and timing but they were hit and miss. Thompson is so much better than he was two years ago. Not sure if Ralph sticks with him there, but it might work.

Initial impressions of Reider Eakin and Cozens was generally positive. I think they have more pace to give.

Sabres were not ready. They were out of sync, and they didn’t have their legs under them. The only reason it was close was because the same was true for the Caps. Pretty much all the relevant stats for the game were surprisingly equal. Buffalo can and will be better. They are going to need to be a lot better.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm worried about the fact that Dahlin's metrics were excellent under Housley and not so good under Krueger

Same for the eye test, though Dahlin improved last year as the season went on. 

But I do know Dahlin has the stronger hockey background. 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I'm about the fact that Dahlin's metrics were excellent under Housley and not so good under Krueger

I thought Dahlin was completely uninspired tonight. He was not special in any way.

Edited by SwampD

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

You keep saying this, but what would you change if you were that good coach.

Easy

Eakin would be my checking line center with KO and Reider

Skinner would be on a 3rd scoring line with Mitts and Cozens

I’d actually coach, including using a two man forecheck and keep my forwards going to the net.

Hutton would have been waived during the off-season and I’d have acquired someone else to the backup. At this point, a trade may be necessary.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Easy

I’d actually coach, including using a two man forecheck and keep my forwards going to the net.

Hutton would have been waived during the off-season and I’d have acquired someone else to the backup. At this point, a trade may be necessary.

YES!!!!!

Just now, SwampD said:

I say that knowing he is only 20 years old. 

I'm a big Dahlin backer. He was poor. 

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Easy

At this point I probably put Skinner in the top 6. 

Guess we have to see on Staal though. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Rasmus Dahlin with the 25 minutes to lead the team like we always wanted. You remember that thing about Ralph wanting the team to play with pace? Ras must have read that memo in a mirror. Very disappointing.

Tonight, Risto and Montour looked like the guys the haters see.

Im surprised by the McCabe hate in the thread. Gordie Howe hattie, relatively competent play and one of the few guys pushing.

Miller was pretty good, Joki not so much.

Hutton was Hutton

Skinner played well, I thought - he created just as much as normally does despite his linemates and finished 7th in ice time. Deserved more. It looks like the theory of him driving offence from the third line is sound. Give him Cozens when KO comes back and we might have something.

That is if we don’t need him to save the second line. Reinhart was uneven, and Olofsson was mostly invisible, but Staal was downright awful. The whole line was slow and disrespectful of their competition. They played like they were still scrimmaging.

Jack and Hall are going to be magic once they get their legs and timing but they were hit and miss. Thompson is so much better than he was two years ago. Not sure if Ralph sticks with him there, but it might work.

Initial impressions of Reider Eakin and Cozens was generally positive. I think they have more pace to give.

Sabres were not ready. They were out of sync, and they didn’t have their legs under them. The only reason it was close was because the same was true for the Caps. Pretty much all the relevant stats for the game were surprisingly equal. Buffalo can and will be better. They are going to need to be a lot better.

This is a great way of putting it, it was borderline insulting I found, maybe my own fault for tweeting about how we'd have a top of the league top 6 all offseason.

That evaporated real quick. If Staal sucks, we're no better off than the Botterill days. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Hutton wouldn't be starting opening night and Thompson wouldn't be on a power play, and that's just some of the very obvious bits.

Starting Hutton was like that old saying, "getting too cute". 

Ralph may even read his press clippings/this board. 😉😶

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.