GDT: 1/14/21 7pm ET Washington at Buffalo, MSG, ESPN+, WGR

jsb

I question why Skinner can’t get a shift after we scored the 4th goal.  He hustled tonight.  He always going to be who he is so RK better find a way to coax some goals out of him, like playing him more and with better players. 

Eakin and Reider looked ok.  Hall too.  Staal not so much.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

So, a few thoughts:

--I was very, very happy to watch a Sabres game again.  It had been way too long.

--Did I see Tage Thompson on a power play?  I don't need to see it again.  Too clumsy and too slow.

--Way too often, Sabres defensemen in the offensive one were cheating backward in case of a turnover.  That means they aren't confident playing in front of Hutton.

--Speaking of whom, why in the world did RK start him?  I get that he wants Ullmark to go against Vanacek, but Ullmark is young enough that he should be able to handle both ends of a back-to-back on the opening first two games of the season.  This was a mistake, and it rests squarely with Krueger.

--I like the redesigned power play, a lot.  As long as Thompson isn't part of it, I suppose.

--Staal was kind of a mess.  I'm hoping for a little more from him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Stads said:

I was taken aback by that comment. I would say watching from Angola is the cause, but Razor always says nonsense like that

He wasn't as bad as the score would indicate - but he wasn't good. You want a better performance than that. 

It was less bad than it was PREDICTABLE. 

This entire philosophy of stay above the puck is stupid. We saw it in action just now. Reinhart is down low and gets pressured so the pass to the point isn't clean and NO Sabre is below the circles to help him, easy shot down the ice for Washington and game over. 

Hutton was Hutton. He looked just as mediocre as ever. 

Dahlin needs to work on his conditioning because holy ***** that was terrible. 

Skinner looked good... too bad his linemates aren't. 

Sheahan did look good for what he is and I didn't hate him... unless Skinner fed him a puck. 

Staal... wtf

Eichel... you wanna play hockey or was that too much?

Hall, meh

Olofsson... I realized in the 3rd you were playing in this game. Completely invisible. 

Tage is still a tall Giraffe who takes too long. 

Miller, solid game

Risto... I just... I can't anymore. He passes mediocre and makes bad decisions. 

Cozens looked good but had no line help for most of his rushes... too bad we don't have a 40 goal scorer to pair with him. 

No pressure in the center of the ice. Defenders backed off a ton. They played scared and they played from the perimeter which is exactly how I think they are being coached "stay above the puck" "keep it outside and get point shots". Basically this was a winnable game they lost because of being underprepared to compete. 

• Like (+1) 1

Game is full of rust it’s wrong to be too judgemental

That being said, Staal is an uninspiring statue. Reinhart sucked. Oloffson was invisible except on man advantage 

Eichel turnover machine.  Hall is good but turnovers too. Thompson fits on that line I’m excited for it

Rieder is shaping up to have a great season. Eakin looks fine. Cozens will stay on the team if he is like this

Skinner actually looked good tonight. I don’t think his linemates held him back. In fact I think Staal and Reinhart would have the way they were playing. 

Mccabe is awful. I expected more out of Jokiharju but there’s still time. I thought Dahlin was just fine

Hutton is a tire fire. We win this game with an average goalie

We scored goals. This isn’t a team who can’t score anything, and that’s a major step forward. That is something to be happy about. Most of the goals against came from silly turnovers that were mainly due to 10 months of rust. Go watch highlights of all the other games every team is like this. 

Wish we would have won. Capitals are a good team. We need a new goalie ASAP

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I heard him say it.

I don't know what that means, "we'll worry about coaching tomorrow" ... so RK took a personal day?

Messy play overall, I agree. I wouldn't much stock into the game... but they had no control of the puck until the dire moments, thennnnn lost control again.

Just now, Shmuffalo said:

I don't know what that means, "we'll worry about coaching tomorrow" ... so RK took a personal day?

I still like RaKru; however, I can't believe he said what he said.  How passive can you get?  Poor example.  Can't fathom a coach like Torts even thinking that let alone delivering something like that

On the positive side they didn’t quit. 

Quick thoughts

1) Hutton is just as bad as last year

2) So is the PK 

3) RK really needs to do some serious thinking.  Skinner hustled all night and his reward was a firm seat on the bench when we pulled the goalie.  Also as a “great” motivator his team came out flat as a pancake and remained that way for most of the game.

4) Jack needed to come out flying but didn’t. He looked lost for most of the game.

5) RK can’t coach offense at all.  His team doesn’t go to the dirty areas.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

7 minutes ago, Derrico said:

How long before Buffalo brings in a competent goalie?  Too many games the backup is going to have to play this year.  He’s going to cost sabres a playoff spot.  Make a damn move before it’s too late. 

There is zero chance the Sabres make a goaltending move during the season. They will live or die with these two. And after another missed playoff year I’d be shocked if they don’t bring in someone next year. But yes it should have been done this year if they were actually serious about winning. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.