Zemgus Girgensons, torn hamstring out 6 months

LGR4GM

• LGR4GM changed the title to Zemgus Girgenson's injury, likely out for season
  • LGR4GM changed the title to Zemgus Girgensons' injury, likely out for season
28 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

The NFL saw a rash of soft tissue injuries early this year.  This would count as one of those. 

On the plus for Buffalo this means some added cap when he's on LTIR, no?

To an extent.

Depending on how close to the cap they can get not counting his salary when the rosters get cut down they'll be able to exceed the cap by up to his cap hit.

Thing is, if they do exceed the cap they won't be able to cover much, if any, of Dahlin's likely earned performance bonuses using this year's money. Same for any other earned ELC bonuses that the other young guys could qualify for.

13 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Cool.  Sabres get him back for the Final.  😉

• Like (+1) 1

• LGR4GM changed the title to Zemgus Girgensons, torn hamstring out 6 months

This is crummy news after one scrimmage. So, Sheahan, about that PTO...   (I say Sheahen because I think his size/style/experience matches Girgensons the best. He can be that same role.) Edit: I say this despite Rieder skating on the Eakin/Okposo line today. Either/or works if they make the line work.

Get well soon, Zemgus! Get into that bacta tank ASAP!

Edited by DarthEbriate

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Is Zemgus the longest tenured Sabre?

Looks like he and McCabe both first skated with the Sabres in 13-14.

Edit: More research says yes. Zemgus skated 70 games that year, McCabe only got a look-see with 7 at the end of the season.

Edited by DarthEbriate

18 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I kinda see this as a meh situation. Z really competed hard but lacked much offense. We can get the same compete from someone else and see if we can improve the offense.

He scored 12, non-PP, goals last season, 4th on the team.  Would have been 5th if Olofsson stayed healthy.  He did this while getting the most difficult, defensively tilted usage in the entire league.  He was good.

Lazar/Reider/whoever is very unlikely to be an upgrade.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Curt said:

He scored 12, non-PP, goals last season, 4th on the team.  Would have been 5th if Olofsson stayed healthy.  He did this while getting the most difficult, defensively tilted usage in the entire league.  He was good.

Agree and I don’t understand the negative moments on Z, unless it is the contract, which is on Adams.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Looks like he and McCabe both first skated with the Sabres in 13-14.

Edit: More research says yes. Zemgus skated 70 games that year, McCabe only got a look-see with 7 at the end of the season.

But Risto played opening night in 2013 as well, even though drafted a year later.  He also has more games under his belt with the club than Z.  Do you go back to time within the organization if you tie on date started?

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

But Risto played opening night in 2013 as well, even though drafted a year later.  He also has more games under his belt with the club than Z.  Do you go back to time within the organization if you tie on date started?

Those poor souls.  Imaging working somewhere 7 years, with that amount of success.

16 hours ago, Curt said:

Sometimes in these situations another player gets a chance and they end up making you forget about the other player

12 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Oh -- I totally skipped past Risto! Yes, they were both in the opening-night lineup vs. Detroit on 10/2/2013, and Girgs scored the Sabres' lone goal.

I guess then technically Girgensons is our longest-tenured and in-the-lineup Sabre as he was drafted in 2012 vs. Ristolainen's 2013. McCabe was also drafted in 2012 but didn't debut until later.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.