Botterill Hired As Seattle’s AGM

Brawndo

I will offer Seattle Mitts, Sheahan, Okposo for their best player. Botterill will pull the trigger, he makes great trades. 

Just now, Brawndo said:

Seattle has an All Star Analytics Team and Botterill has proven to be adverse to them. This should be interesting 

Adverse? Downright hostile. This is Seattle's first mistake. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I will offer Seattle Mitts, Sheahan, Okposo for their best player. Botterill will pull the trigger, he makes great trades. 

Adverse? Downright hostile. This is Seattle's first mistake. 

I know the feelings towards JBOT and I agree he had his shortcomings but looking at his three drafts, I’ll wager that no team has as many potential NHL’ers left as Buffalo. They probably missed on a couple of forwards but they could end up with two goalies and five defenseman that will be assets of one grade or another besides a number one defenseman and a number two center.

One disclaimer, I don’t usually believe the GM has much to do with the draft but I know a lot of you evaluate him that way. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, tom webster said:

I know the feelings towards JBOT and I agree he had his shortcomings but looking at his three drafts, I’ll wager that no team has as many potential NHL’ers left as Buffalo. They probably missed on a couple of forwards but they could end up with two goalies and five defenseman that will be assets of one grade or another besides a number one defenseman and a number two center.

One disclaimer, I don’t usually believe the GM has much to do with the draft but I know a lot of you evaluate him that way. 

LA Kings:

Turcotte, Kaliyev, Bjornfoot, Fagemo, Kupari, Thomas, Vilardi

Buf Sabres:

Cozens, Johnson, Dahlin, Samuelsson, UPL, Mitts

I think they might end up with 3 defenders and 1 goalie. They missed on at least 2 forwards. 

Also the ROR alone makes Botterill and idiot. Right now the Skinner deal looks really terrible too. 

• Like (+1) 1

Botterill seems to be a fine AGM.

GM, though? Different story.

Although I'd think he'd do a fine job with the Leafs or the Bruins. They should give him a chance.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

LA Kings:

Turcotte, Kaliyev, Bjornfoot, Fagemo, Kupari, Thomas, Vilardi

Buf Sabres:

Cozens, Johnson, Dahlin, Samuelsson, UPL, Mitts

I think they might end up with 3 defenders and 1 goalie. They missed on at least 2 forwards. 

Also the ROR alone makes Botterill and idiot. Right now the Skinner deal looks really terrible too. 

Who would you rather have?

Turcotte and Kaliyev or Cozens and Johnson?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Botterill seems to be a fine AGM.

GM, though? Different story.

Although I'd think he'd do a fine job with the Leafs or the Bruins. They should give him a chance.

Who would you rather have?

Turcotte and Kaliyev or Cozens and Johnson?

I know you hate this response but it’s still incomplete and like it or not, he gets credit for Dahlin.

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

I know you hate this response but it’s still incomplete and like it or not, he gets credit for Dahlin.

Don't hate that at all. I agree the drafting has yet to play itself out, although Dahlin is not something anyone should get credit for.

Cozens is clearly a tier above Turcotte and I'd personally rather have Johnson than Kaliyev, whose shot I love, but whose game I'm not a fan of.

Regardless of the above, Botterill was a poor GM and I'm glad he was replaced.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Don't hate that at all. I agree the drafting has yet to play itself out, although Dahlin is not something anyone should get credit for.

Cozens is clearly a tier above Turcotte and I'd personally rather have Johnson than Kaliyev, whose shot I love, but whose game I'm not a fan of.

This is probably where I am

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

If Seattle hired him to provide cap analysis, they might appreciate him. 

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

He doesn’t really.  They sucked in a season where they should not have been league worst, won the lottery and picked the consensus #1 prospect.  Nothing about that reflects positively on Botterill.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Now this surprises me. I thought you hated the Johnson pick.

I hate the pick not the player. Johnson I think is a 5 on a good team but maybe he is a 4. Either way, the real tragedy was passing on the forwards they did but again, that doesn't mean Johnson is bad. 

12 minutes ago, Curt said:

He doesn’t really.  They sucked in a season where they should not have been league worst, won the lottery and picked the consensus #1 prospect.  Nothing about that reflects positively on Botterill.

One of the rules I live by, you can’t blame someone for all the bad if you don’t give them credit for all the good.

I respect those that disagree, but that’s how I evaluate everything.

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I hate the pick not the player. Johnson I think is a 5 on a good team but maybe he is a 4. Either way, the real tragedy was passing on the forwards they did but again, that doesn't mean Johnson is bad. 

I defer to you and others when it comes to prospects. The others tell me he could be a 3.

6 minutes ago, tom webster said:

One of the rules I live by, you can’t blame someone for all the bad if you don’t give them credit for all the good.

While I agree with you, that’s like giving someone credit for having awesome parents. Sometimes there’s good/bad that someone doesn’t get credit for either way.

15 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Good, he drafted Cozens, Dhalin, and idk? the Skinner trade. 

Bad, ignoring the CHL, ROR trade, not dealing Risto, failure to find a 2c, failure to build really anything

This is like saying, the first class dining salon on the Titanic was gorgeously built so we should give them credit for that and not focus on the major design flaws in watertight doors and iron working that resulted in the ship sinking. 

25 minutes ago, SDS said:

While I agree with you, that’s like giving someone credit for having awesome parents. Sometimes there’s good/bad that someone doesn’t get credit for either way.

Not sure I like the analogy. I’m referring to happenings while person is in charge of that department. I guess some people might say the child is in charge but I think you know what I mean.

51 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Good, he drafted Cozens, Dhalin, and idk? the Skinner trade. 

Bad, ignoring the CHL, ROR trade, not dealing Risto, failure to find a 2c, failure to build really anything

This is like saying, the first class dining salon on the Titanic was gorgeously built so we should give them credit for that and not focus on the major design flaws in watertight doors and iron working that resulted in the ship sinking. 

Good - Skinner trade, Drafting Dahlin, acquiring Scandella and Pommers, trading TM turd Nylander for Jokiharju, filling our pipeline with legit prospects like Cozens, Mitts, Thompson, Johnson, UPL, Pekar, Bryson, Routsalainen, Laaksonen, Portillo, and Samuelsson, hiring RK, turning the Amerks into a legit franchise, getting us out of cap hell, and acquiring Montour, Miller and Jokiharju to build a good D group.

Bad - Trading ROR (although may have been required by TP and we may end up with two good NHL players out of it long-term in Thompson and Johnson), NEVER REPLACING ROR, Scandella trade, signing Hutton, forcing Mitts into the lineup, and ultimately not making us any better on the ice (record wise) then TM.

Ultimately JB failed because he never properly replaced ROR.  However, he left the franchise in a better place then he found it.  Better D group in Buffalo, cap space which KA used to get Hall and Eakin, a viable farm team and a good prospect pool.   

Was ignoring CHL really a bad thing?  We did get Cozens, and considering how many legit prospect we have from his drafts which focused on Europe and Colleges and the abject failure the TM drafts with with tons of CHL players, I don’t think you can call the overall strategy a failure.  TM drafted 11  CHL’s and only 3 are NHLers - Reinhart (a no brainer pick and he should take  Draisatl), bust Nylander at 7 overall, and 4th liner Lemieux.  His best pick was from the SHL in Olofsson.

Jbot is a smart guy who will learn from his mistakes.  He’ll be fine in Seattle and he’ll do a good job in his next GM job.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 4

Nice! I look forward to the Palm Springs Baby Kraken having a competitive veteran lineup, and a prospect pipeline filled with NCAAers who project to 4th liners in five-to-six years on my local NHL franchise. I wish him well out here because these rainy winter months could use some quality hockey.

I still like aspects of JBot's approach while he was in Buffalo. I don't like the execution. Based on timeline of events, I also dislike he was fired more for not firing people and not for ineptitude as a GM attempting to build an NHL roster.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.