Divisions get named for corporate sponsors

LGR4GM

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Playing the Leafs, Sens and Habs means something. but so does playing the Rangers and Flyers.

So I don't like it, but I can live with it.

They won't keep these. The Canadian teams will never agree to that travel schedule for a normal season. 

They weren't talking of scrapping cross border games btw. Just the alignment.  

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

And Friedman adds that Seattle joining will complicate the numbers. A 7 team Canadian division while the west would have 9.

Yeah. Personally I don't see it sticking around. 

• nfreeman changed the title to Divisions get named for corporate sponsors
2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Putting ads on the unis don't bother me either.

That, too, is inevitable.  Whether it bothers me is going to depend on how intrusive they are and where on the uniform they are.  I'd like for the helmets to be no-go zones for ads.   

NHL ahead of its time once more relative to the other big 4 pro sport leagues.

Post season playoffs for more than simp,y league champions; captain's C's on unis, awarding the championship trophy in front of the fans rather than a back room which were all cool.

And advertising on the actual playing surface and now in the division names themselves which aren't.

Progress.    😒

23 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I can see The Buffalo News, for example, refusing to give Scotia free advertising by blaring, "SABRES WIN SCOTIA NORTH!" in a banner headline.

OTOH they've always printed the corporate names of the arena, I think. (But wasn't there some issue with "the downtown baseball stadium"?)

What's the diff between this and naming rights for stadiums? That's why you do it, though it's hardly free.

On 1/5/2021 at 1:48 PM, Scottysabres said:

I think Bezio's will demand it be called the Amazon Cup, and if the NHL doesn't comply he'll refuse to deliver it to the winner 

I can see it now, that blond guy comes out on the ice, tears open a white and blue bubble bag with gloves inside, and then cuts open a Prime-labelled cardboard box and pulls the Stanley Cup out. Bettman says on the mic, "This is the best Prime Day ever for the Tokyo Katanas!"

Edited by MattPie
Dups!
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/5/2021 at 11:08 AM, LGR4GM said:

They won't keep these. The Canadian teams will never agree to that travel schedule for a normal season. 

probably true, but a lot of Canadians are very excited over all this Canadian rivalry stuff so they might. Would pave the way for a later Euro division that was talked about a while back as a long term master plan. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.