Divisions get named for corporate sponsors

LGR4GM

I can see The Buffalo News, for example, refusing to give Scotia free advertising by blaring, "SABRES WIN SCOTIA NORTH!" in a banner headline.

OTOH they've always printed the corporate names of the arena, I think. (But wasn't there some issue with "the downtown baseball stadium"?)

I think I mentioned in another thread somewhere that we would soon have a giant Labatt Blue can on our ice surface. 

I'll give it 3 years, max. Adds on jerseys in 2 or less. Adds on helmets start this year. The naming rights to the Cup will be sold very soon. Only a matter of time before teams are playing for the Amazon Stanley Cup.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Hawerchuk said:

Go back to the Adams Division, Norris Division, Patrick Division and Smythe Division. You know, old time hockey, eh coach?!

There isn’t a single person under 50 who gives a rats ass about those names.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I don't think that's true. Those names were around until 1994. One can do the math.

40 then?

they would need to have been in place during a fans formative years. Say the youngest would be 14 to make a meaningful impression?

That makes someone 40 today and that would only include those fans who really settled on those divisional names by the time they got in the high school. That seems like the outer edge.

23 minutes ago, SDS said:

40 then?

they would need to have been in place during a fans formative years. Say the youngest would be 14 to make a meaningful impression?

That makes someone 40 today and that would only include those fans who really settled on those divisional names by the time they got in the high school. That seems like the outer edge.

It is like when ppl talk "the last time the bills were good" and sure I was alive, but it is a foggy memory on the edge of thought. 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

I think I mentioned in another thread somewhere that we would soon have a giant Labatt Blue can on our ice surface. 

I'll give it 3 years, max. Adds on jerseys in 2 or less. Adds on helmets start this year. The naming rights to the Cup will be sold very soon. Only a matter of time before teams are playing for the Amazon Stanley Cup.

I think Bezio's will demand it be called the Amazon Cup, and if the NHL doesn't comply he'll refuse to deliver it to the winner 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Interesting chat on 31 thoughts.  Hypothesising about keeping these divisions (well the North division specifically) for revenue sharing reasons.  What says the sabres hivemind?

Playing the Leafs, Sens and Habs means something. but so does playing the Rangers and Flyers.

So I don't like it, but I can live with it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.