John Muckler has passed away

inkman

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I will confess I rarely think of him as a Sabre guy. He's forever associated with Edmonton imo, much like Bowman with the Canadians. So he was here. he did a better job than some of the others. Always sad when somebody dies though. RIP John. 

Right.  He brought instant credibility.  Mr. Stanley Cups.  It was an exciting time for Sabres fans.  

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, inkman said:
Please post any memories or thoughts you have on Mucks.  

Mine:  He scared me.   I feel like they modeled Brick Top from ***** after him. Just an intimidating force. 

Let perpetual light shine upon him.

Great take, @inkman. He was just tough as nails.

It's funny to reflect back on Muckler's time with the team's greatest player (IMO), Hasek. I had thought that Muckler was responsible for acquiring Hasek - not so, it turns out, as Meehan was the GM at the time (although Muckler was the coach at that time as well). Then Muckler acquires Grant Fuhr from the Leafs, and those two platoon for a while.

Which brings me to the piece of historical video that I will search for until my last dying day (and I know I've brought it up here before): Stu Boyar catching up with Muckler at the airport/Prior Aviation and, after a poor showing by Fuhr on the road, asking him on a live feed why he didn't ride the hot hand (Hasek), to which a ruddy faced, presumably booze-fueled Muckler spat: "What - am I going to start him [Hasek] every game?! F*ck you, Stu!" Or words to like effect. Epic.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

It's funny to reflect back on Muckler's time with the team's greatest player (IMO), Hasek. I had thought that Muckler was responsible for acquiring Hasek - not so, it turns out, as Meehan was the GM at the time (although Muckler was the coach at that time as well). Then Muckler acquires Grant Fuhr from the Leafs, and those two platoon for a while.

Which brings me to the piece of historical video that I will search for until my last dying day (and I know I've brought it up here before): Stu Boyar catching up with Muckler at the airport/Prior Aviation and, after a poor showing by Fuhr on the road, asking him on a live feed why he didn't ride the hot hand (Hasek), to which a ruddy faced, presumably booze-fueled Muckler spat: "What - am I going to start him [Hasek] every game?! F*ck you, Stu!" Or words to like effect. Epic.

Ask Stu! How could you not save something like?

You coach the team, Mike!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Right.  He brought instant credibility.  Mr. Stanley Cups.  It was an exciting time for Sabres fans.  

Important figure in team history. Along with Smilin' Ger he was the bridge who brought the Sabres out of a decade of mediocrity and into a new millennium where Cups were at hand.

Before the Pegulas we always had hope as Sabres fans — probably except for that immediate post-Bowman period. Now, after the last 10 years, maybe we're on the verge of re-appearing. We shall see.

• Like (+1) 1

I have a Muckler story that I have probably mentioned on this board in the past.  In the mid-to-late 90's, I was at the bar of the Drake Hotel in Chicago.  I saw a guy at the bar who looked familiar, but it took me a minute to place him.  Then I saw his gold watch with the Sabres logo on the face.  It was John Muckler.  I went up and introduced myself.  I told him I was a lifelong Sabres fan.  I remember sharing the story with him about the 4 OT game against the Devils in the 1994 playoffs when he was behind the bench.  I was at a sports bar in Chicago watching the game with a bunch of Sabres fans.  At 2 AM, the bar had to legally close, as it was a weeknight.  The Sabres fans were able to convince the bar that they couldn't kick us out during this epic hockey game.  They ended up locking the doors and turned out some of the lights, but kept the TVs on and let us stay for the full 4 OTs and to see Dave Hannan's winning goal.  Muckler really appreciated the story.  His Sabre teams were exciting and some of my favorites.  RIP, John.

• Like (+1) 2

A solid hockey guy who had a penchant for wanting “his” guys.   Brining in Fuhr, Simpson, Huddy, Muni, Pearson, I’m sure there were others.  Didn’t we call the the Oilers south or some nonsense.  Miss the days.  God let this team be good again. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I remember that. Fuhr just wasn’t that good anymore and Dom was...well Dom, but Mucks wanted to stay true to his Edmonton guy. 

59 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I remember that. Fuhr just wasn’t that good anymore and Dom was...well Dom, but Mucks wanted to stay true to his Edmonton guy. 

Or he had to showcase him for the trade.  That would explain the snapped answer.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.