GDT: Blue and Gold Scrimmage, 1pm EST, 1/4/2021

LGR4GM

• Staal and Reinhart appeared to be solely interested in setting each other up. Made some good plays and at least one bad one. Staal looks like he still has it. Sam looked like he had the most talented hands on the ice. Was clearly a scrimmage for both.
  • Also clearly a scrimmage for Hall, who teased more than flashed. He looked kinda like a shark who wasn't hungry yet.
  • Eakin and Rieder each scored, so that's good. Mostly I noticed their speed.
  • As mentioned up thread, Thompson was the standout. He looked strong and skilled and had no trouble with the pace of the game.
  • Ruotsalainen looked smart and played with pace. liked his game.
  • Casey looked fit and fast. Won't go as far to say that he looked good, because I've occasionally seen him play like that before, but he didn't look overmatched at all.
  • The Samuelsson/Fitzgerald Borgen/Bryson pairs didn't look overmatched either. Promising for the Amerks.
  • If there is a role player battle going on between Sheahan and Lazar and Asplund, I didn't see separation.
  • Can't say there was much to remark about from the the other vets — Montour seemed to be more under control — generally it was about getting their legs back.
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:
  • Staal and Reinhart appeared to be solely interested in setting each other up. Made some good plays and at least one bad one. Staal looks like he still has it. Sam looked like he had the most talented hands on the ice. Was clearly a scrimmage for both.
  • Agreed, only downfall was learning where they and the 3rd wheel was

• Also clearly a scrimmage for Hall, who teased more than flashed. He looked kinda like a shark who wasn't hungry yet.
  • Yes but he would occasionally put on the after burners, this guy is fast and plays that way

• Eakin and Rieder each scored, so that's good. Mostly I noticed their speed.
  • Yep

• As mentioned up thread, Thompson was the standout. He looked strong and skilled and had no trouble with the pace of the game.
  • Olofsson better not be hurt long because this guy would fit in his spot and if not he'll fit right in at Girgensons spot

• Ruotsalainen looked smart and played with pace. liked his game.
  • Didn't play bad but it didn't hurt him to play with TT and Hall

• Casey looked fit and fast. Won't go as far to say that he looked good, because I've occasionally seen him play like that before, but he didn't look overmatched at all.
  • I thought he played well overall but one play when he played out of the corner past 3 defenders and passed to Dahlin who missed a wide open net

• The Samuelsson/Fitzgerald Borgen/Bryson pairs didn't look overmatched either. Promising for the Amerks.
  • I thought all 4 of those guys played well especially Samuelsson and Borgen, impressed with their composure

• If there is a role player battle going on between Sheahan and Lazar and Asplund, I didn't see separation.
  • Sheahan gives them another big body, I thought Asplund played faster than I remember

• Can't say there was much to remark about from the the other vets — Montour seemed to be more under control — generally it was about getting their legs back.
  • I thought Miller played a good game also, better than I remember

This is a bigger and faster team than they've had in a while, should be fun to watch them gel and hopefully it won't take long. Hutton must have worn his contacts because he seemed to be seeing things develop and JJ looks RUSTY. Those first 2 goals should have never went in.

Edited by jsb
  • Like (+1) 2

@jsb makes a great point up-thread: Thompson looked today like he can slide into the top 9 in a pinch and we all have our fingers crossed we can say the same about Cozens.

When you can start camp with options like that outside the top nine, that’s a good sign.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

@jsb makes a great point up-thread: Thompson looked today like he can slide into the top 9 in a pinch and we all have our fingers crossed we can say the same about Cozens.

When you can start camp with options like that outside the top nine, that’s a good sign.

What about Jokiharju and his two goals? He adds offense to his solid game he could make a huge difference to this season’s outcome.

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What about Jokiharju and his two goals? He adds offense to his solid game he could make a huge difference to this season’s outcome.

I wouldn’t put too much stock into those goals, two harmless wrist shots from the point that you and I could have stopped.

Edited by dudacek

Dahlin is still magical.  Montour i thought was invisible

Hall is really good

Thompson is a puck magnet. Yes he’s still dangling, but he’s always on the puck so I think it’s okay.  Standout player of the game, though Hall feeding him was a big part of it

I thought Ruotsolainen was really struggling to keep up on that line and was a weak link

Jokiharju/Miller may be our third pairing, but I easily thought it was the best out there tonight

Reinhart had the puck a good amount, but I was not impressed by Skinner or Staal in the slightest.  Think it’ll be a big growing year for Reinhart, not deferring to Jack like he has for so long

I felt like Okposo was skating faster than he has for us. Would be great if he steps it up. 

Mittelstadt seemed faster too

Reider/Eakin showed some finish, something we’ve been lacking in our previous bottom 6 players. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Hard to judge anything since I didn't see it, but from the comments Tage was surprisingly good in a sloppy game all around with lots of mistakes. That about it?

Unfortunately Girgs injured in the game....

8 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

I thought Ruotsolainen was really struggling to keep up on that line and was a weak link

Strange. I had the opposite thought. Hall seemed to freelance on that line while Ruotsalainen worked well getting pucks in front and supporting Tage. I can't think of a time Ruots was out of position or a hindrance to that line. 

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Hard to judge anything since I didn't see it, but from the comments Tage was surprisingly good in a sloppy game all around with lots of mistakes. That about it?

Wasn't that sloppy. There was a surprisingly high amount of tape to tape passes and slick little feeds. The only sloppy part was Johanssons goaltending early on. It certainly lacked game intensity but it was a scrimmage. 

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Strange. I had the opposite thought. Hall seemed to freelance on that line while Ruotsalainen worked well getting pucks in front and supporting Tage. I can't think of a time Ruots was out of position or a hindrance to that line. 

Wasn't that sloppy. There was a surprisingly high amount of tape to tape passes and slick little feeds. The only sloppy part was Johanssons goaltending early on. It certainly lacked game intensity but it was a scrimmage. 

I agree with both of LGR's takes; the third might have been a little sloppier but for an exhibition game it was pretty crisp.

In particular, the defence looked poised, both positionally and with the puck.

17 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Looking forward to seeing Ullmark play.   Hutton still looked like Hutton to me, he is what he is, a capable backup who can flash. 

He didn’t see a ton of shots.

This was my first look at Samuelson and he seemed—from what I saw—a good steady defenseman back there. Seems like we have a good couple of yound defense prospects making there way through the system now.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

He didn’t see a ton of shots.

This was my first look at Samuelson and he seemed—from what I saw—a good steady defenseman back there. Seems like we have a good couple of yound defense prospects making there way through the system now.

I'm glad to see a couple others noticed this. He just seemed comfortable and poised (not to mentioned huge)

Still have my fingers crossed for a day when Samuelsson and Johnson will be dependably killing penalties, clearing the zone and protecting leads for us in a way we haven't seen since Toni and Hank.

I've never hated either of those picks.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.