News on Rick?

PASabreFan

Any news on Rick's situation this season? Assuming that the broadcasters won't travel with the team (maybe not a good assumption), will he do games from home or come to a studio in Buffalo? Or will the Sabres set him up in a studio on his side of the border?

Since travel has been Rick's bugaboo for many years, would being able to stay at home, or having to come only to Buffalo, mean he'll do more games?

Unless he has some kind of super duper video setup, I feel like this new way of calling games could be trouble for him. See also: Doc Emrick during the playoffs. If done well and smartly, though, this could turn back the clock a decade or two for RJ. (For the love of God, have some bubbles with names in them appear over the players as they touch the puck!)

Edited by PASabreFan

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Any news on Rick's situation this season? Assuming that the broadcasters won't travel with the team (maybe not a good assumption), will he do games from home or come to a studio in Buffalo? Or will the Sabres set him up in a studio on his side of the border?

Since travel has been Rick's bugaboo for many years, would being able to stay at home, or having to come only to Buffalo, mean he'll do more games?

Unless he has some kind of super duper video setup, I feel like this new way of calling games could be trouble for him. See also: Doc Emrick during the playoffs. If done well and smartly, though, this could turn back the clock a decade or two for RJ. (For the love of God, have some bubbles with names in them appear over the players as they touch the puck!)

I thought i once read Rick lives in St. Catherines, so i think he's out.

The Texas Rangers broadcasters covered the team without ever leaving Texas.  They covered the away games via commenting to live video feed of the games.  I think there have been a few instances of this with the Sabres when weather prevented broadcasters from getting to the rink.  I think it's entirely possible for RJ to call the Sabres from his den.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Ted Darling called a Habs-Sabres game without leaving his house in the 1970s.  RJ will be fine.

Not sure how Doc Emrick worked the playoffs, but he was running at about 65% Doc. Rick's going to need a lot of help. If he's in his living room with his own TV, it's going to be a tough haul. Maybe the director will finally let us see faceoffs?

On 12/30/2020 at 10:56 AM, sabills said:

yeah, I know on the Bills broadcast Sal has been doing his bit from home, and I'm pretty sure John Murphy is doing the same. I'm sure they can get him a setup.

Not from home. From the press box at Bills Stadium. They call road games that way. But if Rick has enough bandwidth at his home in Fort Erie they could set him up there.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Cool.

How'd he get over the border?

He's Rick Jennerette, b***h!

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Same way the players did.

Seriously, is he staying on this side of the border for the full season or is he going into 14 day quarantine today presuming he heads back home after practice? 

Most recent articles found from a quick internet search stated that Canada still had a 14 day quarantine for people (citizens or not) upon entry into Canada.  Has that changed recently?

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Seriously, is he staying on this side of the border for the full season or is he going into 14 day quarantine today presuming he heads back home after practice? 

Most recent articles found from a quick internet search stated that Canada still had a 14 day quarantine for people (citizens or not) upon entry into Canada.  Has that changed recently?

Sorry--I was being serious.  Maybe if he wants to return to Canada, he has to quarantine for 14 days--but maybe not.  I know Canadians who work here and live there, and they certainly don't quarantine for 14 days each time they return.  I'm not sure that RJ has to quarantine here--in fact, the photo strongly suggests otherwise.

Edited by Eleven
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

No.

There are essential service exemptions. Not sure if living legend qualifies.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Sorry--I was being serious.  Maybe if he wants to return to Canada, he has to quarantine for 14 days--but maybe not.  I know Canadians who work here and live there, and they certainly don't quarantine for 14 days each time they return.  I'm not sure that RJ has to quarantine here--in fact, the photo strongly suggests otherwise.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

No.

There are essential service exemptions. Not sure if living legend qualifies.

Danke, gents.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Canadian tuxedo?

4PbBGyNgihUd4REvqc-Rah35p5eac8ewqghOXZby

I first saw Don Cherry as the player/coach for the Rochester Americans in the late 60’s.  He was a cruddy player.  A career minor leaguer with no NHL stats.  As a coach, he was a cry baby that  inherited some highly talented Bruins teams and underachieved.    Upon his departure with the Bruins, he tried to build a team in Colorado but failed.  I still find it amazing that he lasted on HNIC for decades.  The bizarre suits and his ignorant rhetoric gave the show a WWF type of vib.  

Edited by Pimlach

Great. Now we're debating US-Canada immigration policy vis a vis Covid. And we're all experts. Can we work in some analytics to make it an even more awesome discussion. ArJéMCOR = Rick's Modified Chance of Re-entry. Am guessing it's c. 75-77% (weekday only).

As ink said:

HOCKEY!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Great. Now we're debating US-Canada immigration policy vis a vis Covid. And we're all experts. Can we work in some analytics to make it an even more awesome discussion. ArJéMCOR = Rick's Modified Chance of Re-entry. Am guessing it's c. 75-77% (weekday only).

As ink said:

HOCKEY!!!!!!!!

THAT's what you take from a couple of questions?  Interesting, but on brand.

Have a happy new year, PA.  🍺

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.