Themes Updated... New Dark Mode (Called SS Home)

SDS

On 12/28/2020 at 5:02 PM, carpandean said:

I can't read light text on dark backgrounds for more than a couple of minutes.  When I do, I see lines of "ghost text" floating around very quickly.  I prefer the light.  Of course, that's not the best for the eyes either - too bright.  Actually, the light blue inside the quote boxed would be a good choice for that.

Same here. I'd love to know the age breakdown of theme users.

57 minutes ago, SDS said:

So, if this is a thing, tell me what you would change? It would actually be trivial, I think, to simply change a couple backgrounds on a third skin.

@carpandean

@carpandean @PASabreFan Please go here:

https://contrast-ratio.com/

Type in three-letter hex codes and tell me what combo you find acceptable. For hex codes use the following:

#fff (white)
#eee
#ddd
#aaa
#000 (black)

It doesn't take much to take the edge off of bright white (8.52).  Of your choices, #eee (7.95) was the best, but I actually preferred #f2f2f2 (8.09). 

Similarly, a light blue such as #eaf0f3 (7.99), #e4f0f6 (7.95) or #eef2f5 (8.07) is pretty nice on the eyes.  As I said, I like what's in the quote boxes.

Edited by carpandean

19 minutes ago, carpandean said:

It doesn't take much to take the edge off of bright white (8.52).  Of your choices, #eee (7.95) was the best, but I actually preferred #f2f2f2 (8.09). 

Similarly, a light blue such as #eaf0f3 (7.99), #e4f0f6 (7.95) or #eef2f5 (8.07) is pretty nice on the eyes.  As I said, I like what's in the quote boxes.

#eee. Yep. Doesn't take much.

53 minutes ago, carpandean said:

@SwampD

what about the color of the text?

34 minutes ago, SwampD said:

#eee. Yep. Doesn't take much.

56 minutes ago, carpandean said:

Obviously it can be anything, but I figured for anyone commenting it would just be easier to get an idea of roughly the contrast they were talking about by providing some canned values. 

50 minutes ago, SDS said:

Obviously it can be anything, but I figured for anyone commenting it would just be easier to get an idea of roughly the contrast they were talking about by providing some canned values. 

Was the text yellow for a minute? I remember that being a little easier on the eyes than the white.

2 hours ago, carpandean said:

#F0F2F7 is a light blue that is in my current pallet. 

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Whatever it was on this day.

Go back to that day.

😀

Oh, dear god. I deleted those. I'm a human pack rat who keeps everything I'll never use and deletes everything I need days later.

FWIW, look at the "Thirds" theme I am playing with.

8 hours ago, SDS said:

#F0F2F7 is a light blue that is in my current pallet. 

That's almost identical to #eef2f5, so it works for me.  I just searched for "light blue hex" and "blue gray hex" for mine.

8 hours ago, SDS said:

Oh, dear god. I deleted those. I'm a human pack rat who keeps everything I'll never use and deletes everything I need days later.

FWIW, look at the "Thirds" theme I am playing with.

I like the colors, but I'm starting to think that contrast isn't the problem with the light theme.  Rather, it's simply about how bright the white is.  I say this because the text does seem a little washed out with the light blue here and on the Contrast Ratio screen.  However, when I change the text color from hsla(200,0%,0%,.7) to hsla(200,0%,0%,.8), the text stands out more due to the higher contrast (11.71!), which I find easier to read. 🤪

Never thought about all of this before.  I just knew that I couldn't read websites that use white text on black backgrounds (or any other similar combination) for more than a few seconds.  Thanks for doing this.

Edited by carpandean

13 minutes ago, carpandean said:

That's almost identical to #eef2f5, so it works for me.  I just searched for "light blue hex" and "blue gray hex" for mine.

I like the colors, but I'm starting to think that contrast isn't the problem with the light theme.  Rather, it's simply about how bright the white is.  I say this because the text does seem a little washed out with the light blue here and on the Contrast Ratio screen.  However, when I change the text color from hsla(200,0%,0%,.7) to hsla(200,0%,0%,.8), the text stands out more due to the higher contrast (11.71!), which I find easier to read. 🤪

Never thought about all of this before.  I just knew that I couldn't read websites that use white text on black backgrounds (or any other similar combination) for more than a few seconds.  Thanks for doing this.

Did you scroll down and try the third’s theme?

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I can't tell any difference between the third's theme and the light theme.  Maybe it's just me, but there does not seem to be a difference.

The difference is that I changed the white areas to a very subtle light blue as discussed in the previous posts. The change is very subtle, but we’re dealing with color perception issues that are unique to different sets of people. I certainly don’t want anyone viewing the forum with discomfort.

if I can get people who are bothered by white backgrounds to agree on a background color, I will then cascade the changes around to the rest of the elements. I will probably focus on proper contrast ratios to improve readability.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SDS said:

The difference is that I changed the white areas to a very subtle light blue as discussed in the previous posts. The change is very subtle, but we’re dealing with color perception issues that are unique to different sets of people. I certainly don’t want anyone viewing the forum with discomfort.

if I can get people who are bothered by white backgrounds to agree on a background color, I will then cascade the changes around to the rest of the elements. I will probably focus on proper contrast ratios to improve readability.

I def find the 3rds theme easier to read.  I'm not sure I like it from a purely cosmetics perspective (blue on blue on blue), but it is a bit easier to read. I'm inclined to leave it on for now.  I'll compare again this evening when the lighting is lower inside.

Thanks, SDS. I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with for us sensitive folks, but I'll probably just go with the light mode. The reduced brightness is another good option.

As for naming ideas, I take it you're trying to find a new overarching title for the forums. Is KeyBank Center just a placeholder?

I'll start with a possibly bold idea. Do we need forums in addition to The Aud Club? Could NHL Message Boards, Tickets and Gear, and Customer Service be eliminated and those topics be allowed in The Aud Club? They are lightly used, and I bet most posters don't even know they exist.

That eliminates the KeyBank Center level.

I've also always thought our site is a primarily a message board, and that message board is known as SabreSpace. So could sabrespace.com open to the forum page instead of the news links? Then for the desktop version have news links at the top of the sidebar? I wonder how many people come directly to the forum anyway and are unaware of the incredible portal Dallas gives us on a daily basis.

No one calls this place The Aud Club. And Aud Clubs would be a good name for the club forums.

I feel like I'm telling someone who's about to hang up their house numbers that they should move the house 30 feet to the south and take out the third floor.

Scott,

Thanks for all the effort.  The aways skin is pretty sharp; not sure why there are some green highlights, but they don't detract.

The 3rds skin is much easier on the eyes than the homes skin is.

Will likely continue using the aways skin as kind of got used to the dark mode here, but 3rds is nice. 

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Scott,

Thanks for all the effort.  The aways skin is pretty sharp; not sure why there are some green highlights, but they don't detract.

The 3rds skin is much easier on the eyes than the homes skin is.

Will likely continue using the aways skin as kind of got used to the dark mode here, but 3rds is nice. 

In a nod to the buffalo eye/goathead, why not red instead of green?

• Like (+1) 1

Thought process:

1. Return to royal and eliminate most of the navy. I still have to work on the desktop header/menu to eliminate that navy I don't like anymore.

2. Gold got lighter, so I moved to the lighter hue.

3. Red accents for hockey ice markings was my original thought process. Red for the eye works too if you want to look at it that way.

4. Green is just a contrasting color that isn't one of the above to provide a hint of variety. There is no deeper meaning there. 🤷‍♂️

5. Keep all shades of blue and yellow tied together with color theory. You can see they harmonize with each other well.

I probably need to move some of the text away the blues to enhance readability.

3 hours ago, SDS said:

I see this now.  I like the 3rds.  Thanks.  My old(er) man eyes appreciate it.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SDS said:

Did you scroll down and try the third’s theme?

Yes.  That's what "here" referred to.  As I said, I don't think my issue with the Away (white) skin is actually contrast, but rather brightness of the white.  The light blue background fixed that, but the resulting reduced contrast made the text less sharp and harder to read.  By adjusting the fourth argument in the hsla() function from 0.7 to 0.8, the contrast went back up (actually higher than the original), making the text easier to read.

Edited by carpandean