Casey Nelson has opted out of the Upcoming Season

Brawndo

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

lol, I didn't even know we still had him. Good riddance. 

This seems kinda harsh.  Nelson hasn't been a particularly good player for the Sabres, but he's still a human being and to my knowledge hasn't done anything to justify a "good riddance."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IKnowPhysics said:

From Lysowski:

"It's unclear why Nelson is opting out. Teams are responsible to pay any player who is opting out because of a pre-existing condition that could worsen as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. Teams have the option of carrying the contract of a player who opts out over to the 2021-22 season."

I wouldn't judge him too harshly.  He could be dealing with something that could make it difficult for his body to deal with Covid.

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

This seems kinda harsh.  Nelson hasn't been a particularly good player for the Sabres, but he's still a human being and to my knowledge hasn't done anything to justify a "good riddance."

Okay if you go with that "he's a human being" thing you are never allowed to dislike or hate any player on any team ever so forget that nonsense. (Marchand's a human being too...........)

I simply have not and will not forgive him for standing by in that game where Eichel got trashed. I said then I'd have cut him to send a message and I stand by it. 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Okay if you go with that "he's a human being" thing you are never allowed to dislike or hate any player on any team ever so forget that nonsense. (Marchand's a human being too...........)

I simply have not and will not forgive him for standing by in that game where Eichel got trashed. I said then I'd have cut him to send a message and I stand by it. 

Now this I can understand.

10 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I wouldn't judge him too harshly.  He could be dealing with something that could make it difficult for his body to deal with Covid.

I have asthma and considering what Covid did to me, I wouldn’t judge anyone harshly for trying to avoid it especially if you have a pre-existing condition like asthma.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Sorry if this is overly cynical, and I don't intend this to be a slight on the player.

If I am correct he gets 700k at NHL level and 160k if he is on taxi duty/AHL. So by sitting out he guarantees his NHL salary, yes?

Teams have to pay players who opt out due to legit medical concerns, but not otherwise.

Not sure how it would be decided if he is to be paid NHL or AHL rates, if he is being paid.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Teams have to pay players who opt out due to legit medical concerns, but not otherwise.

Not sure how it would be decided if he is to be paid NHL or AHL rates, if he is being paid.

Have seen recaps of the opt out clause, but haven't seen any more details than the club can roll the contract into 21-22.  If you've seen any better details, please let us know.

3 hours ago, steveoath said:

Sorry if this is overly cynical, and I don't intend this to be a slight on the player.

If I am correct he gets 700k at NHL level and 160k if he is on taxi duty/AHL. So by sitting out he guarantees his NHL salary, yes?

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Interesting, but I can’t imagine that 2-way players are guaranteed their NHL rate by opting out, even for medical reasons.  Otherwise I think dozens of AHL vets would be scrambling to find medical reasons to opt out.  Seems like the lawyers would have noticed that in the fine print.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Shootica said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/31-thoughts-avalanche-traded-ian-cole-minnesota/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The intro to Friedman's latest 31 Thoughts is about Nelson.  Cool read, good on him for realizing his interests lie elsewhere and going for it.

This is very cool.  Thanks for sharing.  And I’m happy for Casey.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.