Everything Kevyn Adams has done as Sabres GM

Zamboni

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

In the spring in 2019, when Tage was sent down, Mitts was ahead of Tage in the view of pretty much everyone here.

Since then, Tage has played 24 AHL games, enough for Weave to say Tage has clearly improved

And Casey has played 35 AHL games, nowhere near enough for LGR say Casey could have possibly improved.

Really interesting in seeing what each brings this year.

This pretty well sums it up.  Tage has shown improvement in his AHL stint.  He has also improved on the one element that was clearly holding him back. (his physical development).  During Tage's time in the NHL he showed he could skate with big leaguers.  He showed confidence in one on one battles.  But he was clearly physically overmatched.  Casey, on the other hand, looked lost in away from the puck positioning, in one on one battles, and really only showed well when he was open and unpressured. 

They both went to the AHL and Tage's game grew.  Reports out of Rochester suggested he was dominating at times and controlling play and possession. The organization saw his development and chose him as the first injury call up. And, of course, he put a bunch of weight on his frame for this year.

The reports on Casey from Rochester were mixed at best.  He still showed the ability to stickhandle in a phone booth, but his play away from the puck was lousy, and he continued to have issues with possession and one on one battles.

And, of course, the team gave Tage an optimistic contract, and Casy a show me contract.

I think it's pretty clear which player is expected to make the team and which one still has much to prove.

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Go back to sleep.

I could have posted this 3 hrs ago, LOL.

Edited by Weave

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

In the spring in 2019, when Tage was sent down, Mitts was ahead of Tage in the view of pretty much everyone here.

Since then, Tage has played 24 AHL games, enough for Weave to say Tage has clearly improved

And Casey has played 35 AHL games, nowhere near enough for LGR say Casey could have possibly improved.

Really interesting in seeing what each brings this year.

Mitts stagnated in his development, as I keep clearly saying, I don't think 35 ahl games was enough to overcome that. 

Tage, idk. He showed some growth but we have limited idea on how he'll play. Management believes more in Tage currently. I think he'll get more opportunities than Casey to start this season. 

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What exactly has Thompson done in the NHL to show he is more talented?  Mitts has better hands and wheels.

Thompson (NHL) 66 7 5 12 pts    .11 g/gp  .18 p/gp 

Mittelstadt (NHL) 114 17 22 39 pts   .15 g/gp   .34 p/gp

Thompson (AHL) 54 20 19 39 pts    .37 g/gp  .72 p/gp

Mittelstadt (AHL) 36 9 16 25 pts   .25 g/gp  .69 p/gp

Mitts has out-performed Thompson at the NHL level and basically equaled Thompson's AHL numbers except goal scoring, which isn't a surprise given Thompson is supposed to be a goal scorer.  Thompson main attribute is size and an extra year of experience.    This is just a case of Mitts being this board's new whipping boy because he lost his confidence mid-season last year and remains the whipping boy despite being sent down and playing well.

He's not a whipping boy because of confidence. He's a whipping boy because he plays nhl like a boy and has for 2 years, after forcing his way out of college early. 

Mitts doesn't have enough talent to win on talent alone. 

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes and no.  Mitts had no leverage and therefore had to accept the QO.  Thompson is a year older and KA gave him a deal that covered all his remaining RFA years.  Again a stupid contract for an unproven player that might work out if he becomes and NHL regular, but was completely unnecessary.

Also Mitts beats him out in camp, management will have no problem playing Mitts over him regardless of their relative status right now.

The Sabres don't have an inherent bias against either of the two players. They have an interest in both players succeeding. If you look from a contract standpoint and from a ranking standpoint expressed by which player was called up last year it indicates that the organization has more confidence in Tage as a player than Mitts. I want our former first round pick to make the roster and be productive. He's still young and may have some untapped upside. But his limited play in the NHL and AHL has been far from good enough to assume that he will earn a roster spot or if he does reach a level of play other than being a utility and reserve player. 

The best developmental course of action for Mitts would have been for him to start the season in Rochester and get heavy duty playing time. (That's not what he is going to get in the NHL right now.)And from there earn his way onto the NHL roster. He would be better prepared for the bigger stage. Because of the existing Covid world resulting in the delay of the AHL season that scenario is not going to happen. 

There is too much at stake for this lagging franchise to commit to a player and hope he does well. In the abbreviated training camp he has to show that he has elevated his game and be a factor. For me he is a player that I want to see do well but he's not a player that I'm counting on doing well. Let's just wait a little longer and see what he has to offer. 

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He's not a whipping boy because of confidence. He's a whipping boy because he plays nhl like a boy and has for 2 years, after forcing his way out of college early. 

Mitts doesn't have enough talent to win on talent alone. 

I can't think of any one thing he is great at that he can build upon.

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes and no.  Mitts had no leverage and therefore had to accept the QO.  Thompson is a year older and KA gave him a deal that covered all his remaining RFA years.  Again a stupid contract for an unproven player that might work out if he becomes and NHL regular, but was completely unnecessary.

Also Mitts beats him out in camp, management will have no problem playing Mitts over him regardless of their relative status right now.

1) Sure, the Thompson contract was unnecessary.  So was signing Eichel to huge money when he had yet to prove he was an elite player.  Was that a stupid, completely unnecessary contract, or was it a bet on what the player will become?  Contracts are not about what a player has done, it’s about what you expect them to do over the life of the contract.

2) Based upon the contracts they were given, it seems extremely unlikely that Mitts will be making the team over Thompson.  They are not going to just waive Thompson.  

• Like (+1) 1

The Tage contract was excellent risk/reward deal.

1) he busts completely and you squander $700,000 a year in cap space for three years

2) he averages out as a useful bottom-sixer for the duration of the deal and you get what you paid for

3) he averages out as a useful middle-sixer and you’ve got one of those team-friendly contracts that allows you to keep or stockpile more talent within your cap.

4) he breaks out as a 20-goal man and you have a total cap bargain for three years, as well as the flexibility to still qualify him for less than $2 million in year four.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/26/2020 at 11:53 PM, Weave said:

Lol you are the last holdout.  It’s pretty apparent that the team values Thompson more, thus the negotiating.

You are correct that Mitts will need to beat him out in camp.  The consensus around the team sure appears to be that this would be quite unexpected.

Not quite the last.

Mittelstadt is less likely to make the squad out of the gate, to no small degree because he doesn't have to clear waivers but Thompson does, but when he gets into action due to the inevitable injury callup or due to taxi squad shuffling he has an even chance of being as, or more, useful than Thompson.

Career-wise, very hard to say who will be better, especially if they both stay in Buffalo.  Mittelstadt likely ends up the 3C LT but if Cozens fits cleanly as the 2RW with Eichel he could bump up a notch.

Thompson, due to current & future top 6 W glut ends up 3RW.

It's more likely the top 6 W role opens for Tage, than the top 2C role opens for Casey, so Tage probably gets the edge; but am willing to watch it all play out before declaring either a bust.

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

Not quite the last.

Mittelstadt is less likely to make the squad out of the gate, to no small degree because he doesn't have to clear waivers but Thompson does, but when he gets into action due to the inevitable injury callup or due to taxi squad shuffling he has an even chance of being as, or more, useful than Thompson.

Career-wise, very hard to say who will be better, especially if they both stay in Buffalo.  Mittelstadt likely ends up the 3C LT but if Cozens fits cleanly as the 2RW with Eichel he could bump up a notch.

Thompson, due to current & future top 6 W glut ends up 3RW.

It's more likely the top 6 W role opens for Tage, than the top 2C role opens for Casey, so Tage probably gets the edge; but am willing to watch it all play out before declaring either a bust.

I think centre ice at the NHL level in general is a lofty projection for Casey at this point. I think he ends up a depth wing. 

4 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

No gonna list the ***** canning of RK? Was his best move yet.

I was in the middle of it. 👍🏼

And if there’s anything else worth noting, please let me know so I can add it.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Fired RK and SS two weeks after saying he was deeply disappointed with the team but allowing RK to coach the team into more losses.

Trades Jonas Johansson to Colorado ....... or not.  Only the Shadow Knows.

It would be kind of funny if this trade was cancelled due to a positive covid test. Really fit the season well. (I mean I wouldn't want the guy sick or anything but I think you get my point). 

Am I the only one who thinks they are desperately hoping Tage works out as he is all that is left to show for the historic ROR trade. Sad thing is Tage has the size and skating for sure but does not use either to his advantage enough. I strongly yearn for the team to get bigger and harder to play against and Tage woudl be awesome if he only got nastier and used his size more...

1 hour ago, Sabre fan said:

Am I the only one who thinks they are desperately hoping Tage works out as he is all that is left to show for the historic ROR trade. Sad thing is Tage has the size and skating for sure but does not use either to his advantage enough. I strongly yearn for the team to get bigger and harder to play against and Tage woudl be awesome if he only got nastier and used his size more...

He's still young. There's hope because he is talented.

Ryan Johnson is the last hope 

• Like (+1) 1

Bigger, does not and never has meant harder to play against. 

I can’t get past going into the season with Hutton on the roster.  He sucked moose ***** last year but Kevy didn’t bother to make even a modest upgrade (well Tokarski does look like an improvement and I hate myself for typing that).  Not to mention the amount of goalies that have gone through waivers.  It is a fireable offense.  

• Like (+1) 4