Cirelli signed by Tampa

freester

They got “lucky” that Kucherov is on LTIR for the season. They miss out on having him for the regular season but I think he is back for the playoffs, where their cap is not an issue. They have a great chance to repeat but will be in cap he’ll unless Seattle takes Johnson + off of their hands next year.

Just now, Zamboni said:

No info on term/AAV? Nothing?

if that is known… Could you put it in the thread title? Or would this information be better in the Around the NHL thread?

***** highway robbery that's what; 3 years 4.8M

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/lightning-re-sign-anthony-cirelli-three-year-14-4m-contract/#:~:text=The Tampa Bay Lightning have,annual value of %244.8 million.

• Like (+1) 1

The deal is some what team friendly but the structure of both his and Sergachev’s deal puts $7.2 million in third year. 
Also, for those thinking someone should have done an offer sheet, remember, to entice the player, you would have to offer enough extra to cover three thresholds.

1) enough to cover the difference from no state income tax 

2) enough to cover how much you would have to be over their offer, 

and finally,

3) how much over that offer you would need to be before a player decided it was worth leaving a Cup winning team for the unknown.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, tom webster said:

The deal is some what team friendly but the structure of both his and Sergachev’s deal puts $7.2 million in third year. 
Also, for those thinking someone should have done an offer sheet, remember, to entice the player, you would have to offer enough extra to cover three thresholds.

and finally,

3) how much over that offer you would need to be before a player decided it was worth leaving a Cup winning team for the unknown.

Especially the third one… Because I don’t think it would’ve been a problem at all for Pegula to shell out the money for him. He took less than what he’s worth so he can stay where he likes to play on a team he likes to play for. Simple as that.

21 hours ago, tom webster said:

and finally,

If you consider what the contract expectations would be for an improbable Cirelli signing the Staal trade was a good fallback deal for us. We got a player who can play 2C and it left us with room to sign Hall on a one year deal. If Cozens is expected to be our 2C in a year or two a Cirelli deal, which would have been a long term deal for us, would not have made sense. Our GM smartly maneuvered in this offseason market. He didn't overreach and maintained flexibility for the future. Well done!  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you consider what the contract expectations would be for an improbable Cirelli signing the Staal trade was a good fallback deal for us. We got a player who can play 2C and it left us with room to sign Hall on a one year deal. If Cozens is expected to be our 2C in a year or two a Cirelli deal, which would have been a long term deal for us, would not have made sense. Our GM smartly maneuvered in this offseason market. He didn't overreach and maintained flexibility for the future. Well done!  

And he’s not done. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, tom webster said:

And he’s not done. 

I'm not sure about that. I think what he has now is what he is going to start the season with. This is a brief training camp where the lines and rotations will need to be quickly established. And after that due to injuries there will be plenty of lineup changes and experimenting. Because of the tight cluster of games will probably be more injuries and less opportunity to heal and recover. The ability to maintain a modicum of health is going to be an important factor for all teams. This is going to be a very unusual hockey year.  

Edited by JohnC

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not sure about that. I think what he has now is what he is going to start the season with. This is a brief training camp where the lines and rotations will need to be quickly established. And after that due to injuries there will be plenty of lineup changes and experimenting. Because of the tight cluster of games will probably be more injuries and less opportunity to heal and recover. The ability to maintain a modicum of health is going to be an important factor for all teams. This is going to be a very unusual hockey year.  

I believe they still have two deals for goaltenders pending different things happening for two other teams. They may not happen but they are trying.

• Like (+1) 5

40 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I believe they still have two deals for goaltenders pending different things happening for two other teams. They may not happen but they are trying.

We'll see. I'm not as fixated on Hutton as being a major drag as most. If used sparingly such as once every three games or so he is acceptable. If a deal can be had for another goaltender I'm open to it. Without having any special inside information I think the front office is going to stand pat with what its got. My early attention is going to be watching to see if Hall and Skinner can get back to their standard scoring form. 

I know the days of the full time pugilist are gone.  Looking at the teams in our division, and the way the games are scheduled, that level of familiarity tends to breed aggressive play and bad feelings.   Does anyone think we have the players to stand up to a playoff like format?   

I think Adams improved the team, with the exception of goaltending.  But now I’m thinking back to the Tampa games last year, and unanswered hits, and I am a bit concerned.  Especially with a steady diet of Philly, Washington, the Isles, and of course Boston.  Maybe one scrapper that can back people down and also play?   It’s what Punch would do, especially if they expand the roster.  

oh, and Merry Christmas to those our there in Sabreland.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, tom webster said:

Comes to the same thing if they don't succeed in acquiring said player, but if true that they are trying, at least it shows they are aware the upgrade is necessary. 

On 12/25/2020 at 12:33 PM, tom webster said:

Adams has been quite Beane-esque this off-season, so am still cautiously optimistic he can get that trigger pulled.

If he can, this team should be playoff bound.

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Adams has been quite Beane-esque this off-season, so am still cautiously optimistic he can get that trigger pulled.

If he can, this team should be playoff bound.

sung to the tune from Smokey and the Bandit....

East playoffs bound, loaded up and Puckin'
A-we gonna do what they say can't be done
We've got a long way to go, and a short time to get there
I'm playoff bound, just watch ol' "Adams" run

Keep the biscuit in the basket
Son, never mind just skate
Let it all hang out 'cause we got a run to make
The boys are hungry in Buf-a lo
And Lazar is replacin’ the L in GLO
And we'll bring back a Cup no matter what it takes

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.