GDT: World Junior Championships

dudacek

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Absolutely. you noticed him every time he was on the ice.

It was a good game for Sabres fans.

That was the first time I've seen Cozens in live play.  He's got such a calm demeanor even after a goal.  But when he got that opportunity where he took the outlet pass to the net, he charged like a bull.

Peterka plays with grit and has plenty of skill.  It was great to see him get a lot of ice time against a team that will make him better.  Stuetzle lost his composure several times, where JJ just kept playing.  

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

JJ Peterka may end up a better NHL player than Quinn.

It was a hard game to use for any real assessments since it was so clearly one sided but I agree with this. I saw Peterka make a number of good crisp passes and create some good rushes up ice. Good puck presence, good skills. With the proper development we have some real potential there.

Cozens was great, but again, weak competition. Some people seemed miffed he was moved to the wing, but idk, I think RW might be his better position. Definitely a force to be reckoned with and one of Canada's best players.  Quinn on the other hand wasn't terrible, but also did not stand out imo at all. 

I only saw a little of the U.S. game. What i saw Johnson is a very good skater. Don't know if he will develop into a good D man, but he could be a good puck mover. A little bit like Montour maybe. 

Hard to say. Austria is skating a young squad on purpose. Kasper is 16.. freakin 16.. it hits home.  That's how old my kid is.

I also laugh when they say Zegras is a big kid and then say 6'0 170.  My son is 6'2, 172lbs.  Of course he lacks the skills that Zegras has. 🙂

I did not see Sweden, but I feel like I need to say that game Austria is too young, Germany has only 14 skaters and was actually hanging with Canada until their legs died later in the game.

Just now, LTS said:

Hard to say. Austria is skating a young squad on purpose. Kasper is 16.. freakin 16.. it hits home.  That's how old my kid is.

I also laugh when they say Zegras is a big kid and then say 6'0 170.  My son is 6'2, 172lbs.  Of course he lacks the skills that Zegras has. 🙂

I did not see Sweden, but I feel like I need to say that game Austria is too young, Germany has only 14 skaters and was actually hanging with Canada until their legs died later in the game.

Ive seen this elsewhere. Canada had 11 goals before Germany had 10 shots. “Hanging with” is a pretty relative term.

I can buy into the “poor Germany” story, and the short bench was clearly an issue, but let’s not forget, each team went through quarantine and each team had played one game since. The Germans had at least been playing this fall. Canada has 17 players who hadn’t played since March.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Ive seen this elsewhere. Canada had 11 goals before Germany had 10 shots. “Hanging with” is a pretty relative term.

I can buy into the “poor Germany” story, and the short bench was clearly an issue, but let’s not forget, each team went through quarantine and each team had played one game since. The Germans had at least been playing this fall. Canada has 17 players who hadn’t played since March.

I don't think so.

End of the 1st.

Score:
Canada - 4
Germany - 1

Shots on Goal:
Canada - 11
Germany - 5

That's hanging with them.  Very well could be the goal scored after the time ran out (but didn't) and their legs deflated them. Certainly Germany benefited from the 5 minute PP (despite giving up a shorty on the stumble by the goaltender).  Remove that fluke goal and the goal scored with .02 seconds left and you have a 2-1 game after 1.

I'm not sure how you define hanging with. But in my world.. that's keeping it close when they should be dominated by Canada even if Germany had a full bench.  That's a team full of NHL 1st rounders. They should dominate this entire tournament... no way it should have been that close after 1.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LTS said:

I don't think so.

End of the 1st.

Score:
Canada - 4
Germany - 1

Shots on Goal:
Canada - 11
Germany - 5

That's hanging with them.  Very well could be the goal scored after the time ran out (but didn't) and their legs deflated them. Certainly Germany benefited from the 5 minute PP (despite giving up a shorty on the stumble by the goaltender).  Remove that fluke goal and the goal scored with .02 seconds left and you have a 2-1 game after 1.

I'm not sure how you define hanging with. But in my world.. that's keeping it close when they should be dominated by Canada even if Germany had a full bench.  That's a team full of NHL 1st rounders. They should dominate this entire tournament... no way it should have been that close after 1.

Wasn’t the first period their training camp, though?

29 minutes ago, LTS said:

I don't think so.

End of the 1st.

Score:
Canada - 4
Germany - 1

Shots on Goal:
Canada - 11
Germany - 5

If you don’t count two goals, and the seven minutes of PP time and the fact Canada hadn’t played in nine months while the Germans played yesterday, ignore the fact the fact the Germans had the tourney’s best player on the ice for nearly half the period and yet still only managed five shots, and limit the hanging with them to the first period, then you are right, the Germans hung with them.

This reads a lot like most Bills/Patriots games of the Belichik era where the Bills made it to the half only down 14.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, LTS said:

At zero point in that game was Germany hanging with Canada lol.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

If you don’t count two goals, and the seven minutes of PP time and the fact Canada hadn’t played in nine months while the Germans played yesterday, ignore the fact the fact the Germans had the tourney’s best player on the ice for nearly half the period and yet still only managed five shots, and limit the hanging with them to the first period, then you are right, the Germans hung with them.

This reads a lot like most Bills/Patriots games of the Belichik era where the Bills made it to the half only down 14.

I strongly disagree that he is the tournament’s best player, and even if you think so, it’s very far from fact.

1 minute ago, Curt said:

I strongly disagree that he is the tournament’s best player, and even if you think so, it’s very far from fact.

It’s definitely not fact (I’m not even sure it’s my opinion), but it is relevant to the story of the “poor undermanned Germans”

Good discussion though, who might be the best player?

Zegras, Cozens, Byrum, Stutzle, who are the other contenders?

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

It’s definitely not fact (I’m not even sure it’s my opinion), but it is relevant to the story of the “poor undermanned Germans”

Askarov?

Heinola showing Chevy he wants to stay with the big team this season. One of the better D men in the tourney.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I would have had Dach as favorite.

In a short tournament, a lot of guys could end up as best.  Favorites now would be Byram, Cozens, and Zegras.

Askarov, Raymond, Broberg, Stutzle, Boldy, Turcotte, York, Caufield, Newhook, Byfield and Krebs as a larger group of possibilities.

Edited by Curt

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I would have had Dach as favorite.

In a short tournament, a lot of guys could end up as best.  Favorites now would be Byram, Cozens, and Zegras.

Askarov, Raymond, Broberg, Stutzle, Boldy, Turcotte, York, Caufield, Newhook, Byfield and Krebs as a larger group of possibilities.

Rossi?

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

It would be extremely difficult to have an  MVP quality tournament without a supporting cast. He is a good player but they never have the puck.

Absolutely true.  I’m not even really sure what we are trying to pin point here.  Tourney MVP or best hockey player in tournament?  I think we were just trying to brainstorm about the best players.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.